Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Looky at what I caught....

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2006, 11:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I`m thinkin NICE belt
Old 06-28-2006, 11:53 PM

I would not live any where were that thing lives. I think i'll stay on the west coast.
Old 06-29-2006, 06:41 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Chris, you just keep those on YOUR side of the KS/MO border!

Weve seen three snakes while living here, all were little garter snakes. Im sure they wont be so little a further along in summer.
We also seem to have a family of skunk living in the field behind us, several wild turky and some deer.
I can only imagine whats going to be coming out of the field next to us when I finally get around to clearing it.

Rich
Old 06-29-2006, 07:02 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
It is very rare that a cotton mouth will bite a human. Either we are too big or not very tastey. They are just very territorial and scare you off by faking an attack. They will bite it provocked, but there is no need to kill them, unless it directly effects your fishing or swimming. They keep the vermin & small fish population down.
Old 06-29-2006, 09:20 AM

Hey Now that could be a record for a ZEBCO !
Old 06-29-2006, 09:36 AM

almost got bit by a diamond back at the reptile ranch when i was about 12. that'll startle any youngster!
Old 06-29-2006, 09:59 AM

Originally Posted by Geico266
It is very rare that a cotton mouth will bite a human. Either we are too big or not very tastey. They are just very territorial and scare you off by faking an attack. They will bite it provocked, but there is no need to kill them, unless it directly effects your fishing or swimming. They keep the vermin & small fish population down.

I kill any venomous snake. Some little kid might come behind me the next day and get bit by the same snake. I am not taking that chance, and don't tell me about them not harming us or we are in their environment, cause we all came from the same environment, we just made our own better, and still have the ability to go into theirs if we want to. We are, after all, at the top of the food chain (most of the time).
Old 06-29-2006, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HappyGA
We are, after all, at the top of the food chain (most of the time).
Dare you to go and tell a PETA member that.
Old 06-29-2006, 03:01 PM

Originally Posted by BigBlue
Dare you to go and tell a PETA member that.

Hence the "most of the time", i really wish DARWIN would take them on out and be done with it, along with the politicians, rainbow warriors, ...never mind, let me stop right there.....
Old 06-29-2006, 03:20 PM

I found two snakes that look simialar to yours in my garage this spring! One was trapped in a live minnow trap, the other wasn't trapped and I had to use a rake and hoe to get him out and relocate him. He measured @6 1/2 feet Found out later he was an Eastern Pariare Snake, not posinious, but that sucker was striking at me and trying to bite me! The wife and kids were not happy about finding the snakes in the garage. The youngest daughter kept saying "daddy do you want me to get the gun??"
Old 06-30-2006, 08:11 AM

http://www.wf.net/~snake/moccasin.htm

Nice catch Chris. During the mating season those things will come after you in a big angry way. They are aggressive and deliver a much more dangerous bite than a lil ole copperhead. My Wife and I both like non-venomous snakes but kill our share of copperheads and rattlesnakes. I've only had to kill one of those things in 4 years on the farm. He met up with the bushhog. I killed 2 copperheads last Thursday while working on my boys deerstand foodplot. Got one with the front tire on the old Super 90 and shot the other one with my .357 when he made it out from under the bushhog in 1 piece. They were around 26 inches long and as fat as ticks.
Old 06-30-2006, 09:56 AM

My personal least favorite are the Mohave Rattlers found in the Mohave desert while I was prospecting. They come in various colors white, green, brown, pink, black and the famous Mohave Coon Tail. These are so named because of the black rings around their tail in front of the rattles, just like a racoon tail.

These bad boys have 2 different types of venom and are by far the deadliest rattler compared to any other. They have some nasty habits, like NOT RATTLING, and also like to chase a guy across the desert for a couple of hundred yards. Guess what? They're fast...... After the last chase I changed my ways, with an attitude, and went searching them out just so's I could blow them up with whatever artillery I happened to be packing. It's entertainment now and PETA can kiss my Coon Tail skins! And yes, they make very nice and colorful hatbands.

Surprised you Georgia boys haven't mentioned the swamp rattlers. Read once that a herpetologist went down there to study them and was shocked to find out that one of the major complications to getting bit by one was what to do about the broken leg resulting from their strike!!! 8 to 9 foot long and 8 to 10 inches across is a whole bunch of snake power to hit your lower leg....
Old 06-30-2006, 05:16 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Several years ago I was stationed in Biloxi. My neighbor went fishing in his little jon boat. Few hours later he called me to take him back with my boat to get his.

Seems a moc had dropped into the boat with him, so nice guy he was he just gave the whole rig to the snake.

Working a job last Thursday, cleaning up some old lumber. Grabbed a stack of boards and the one on the bottom moved. Turned out to be TREMENDOUSLY HUGE AND DANGEROUS ity bity garter snake. I didn't know I could sound like that...... Neighbor said he'd excuse the language.

Ed
Old 06-30-2006, 08:41 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I try to catch about six of these (below) a year and turn them loose under the house. Most others I will catch and take them down by the swamp and let them go where no one is around.

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...cat=500&page=2
Old 07-01-2006, 01:46 AM

Originally Posted by sherod
Working a job last Thursday, cleaning up some old lumber. Grabbed a stack of boards and the one on the bottom moved. Turned out to be TREMENDOUSLY HUGE AND DANGEROUS ity bity garter snake. I didn't know I could sound like that...... Neighbor said he'd excuse the language.

Ed

I can totally relate, buddy !!! It don't matter how big or not-so-big them slimy things are ... I just get "sissi-fied" when they surprise me like that. Good thing my neighbors live so far off as to not see me doing "the dance".

PISTOL