Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Living in the snow...how is it?

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-2005, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Living in the snow...how is it?

So I have been considering moving out of California. Not sure on where I want to move. I wouldn't be moving alone. So I would have someone with me in the move. Right now home prices in my area of California are out of control. The kind of home I want to live in and raise a family around here is easily over a million. And if I wanted a big home in a nice area it would be over two million. Which is too much **** money for what you get around here.

I have been considering many different places. But eventhough I go skiing every winter I have never lived in the snow. How is it to deal with it on a daily basis? One of several places I have been considering is around Chicago. But of course we have all heard how bad the winters are up there. I love the winter but with my limited experience with living in it makes it hard to figure out if it's something I would want to deal with on a daily basis. For all those who live in and around snow each year how is it for you? I think I would like it. BTW I am an outdoor person. My family and I ride horses, go fishing ,go camping, go skiing, etc. So how do you like it? Also were you born where it snows or did you move into an area where it snows?
Old 10-26-2005, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by offroad725
BTW I am an outdoor person. My family and I ride horses, go fishing ,go camping, go skiing, etc. So how do you like it? Also were you born where it snows or did you move into an area where it snows?
Can't beat Northern Utah for all that.
Only have snow for 3-5 months, rarely gets below zero, and we don't get the wind Chicago gets in the winter.
As is everywhere, the entire population forgets how to drive in the snow, so each storm brings many collisions.

Hardly gets over 100 in the summer.
House prices at least 1/2 that of California.

Born in Bay Area, but lived here my whole life.

phox
Old 10-26-2005, 10:48 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Snow is awsome look forward too it every year. Yeah it's a pain when you get a dump but it only lasts a couple of days. I used to live in eastern ontario we would get the lake effect dumps like they do in chi town. There are some driving tricks you'll need to learn, but nothing you can't handle i'm sure.
The cold down there is a lot different than out here with the humidity, -30c is bearable out here and god awful back east.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:53 PM

First you have to find out which snowy areas has your type of work. Change is good. Try it. If you don't like it move somewhere else. Personally I like the West. Skiing sux in Chicago

I like the snow (and grew up in snow) but the hills/mountains can be tough w/ our trucks. Momentum is our enemy - the more your vehicle weighs the more it'll slide once you lose it a little.
Old 10-26-2005, 10:55 PM

Ive lived in the North - cold and snow all my life...personally, I wouldnt care if I ever see it again.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:05 PM

My husband is from Oregon and he loves it up there. In fact that's where we are going to settle down when he retires from the Navy (about 12 more years). We've been up there a couple times and it is such a change from California where I've been since I was 3.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:12 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Snow is fine if you know how to manage it. I like it.

Don't worry about snow in Chicago. Mayoral elections are won and lost based on snow removal. They have the plows out before a flake forms.

'Course the roads there are often white with SALT, too, and it makes me cringe.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:14 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I like the change of season's so snow is nice.....for awhile....who am I kidding I am moving next door to Fiver Bob.
Old 10-26-2005, 11:16 PM

I like southwest ohio.... not a whole lot of snow, gets cold in the winter, but doesnt snow that much.... we had one decent snowfall last year, and several little snow events.... summer is decent.... upper 70s to upper 80s all summer..... spring and fall are excellent. depending on where you live in northern ohio, you get lake effect snow..... snow, snow, snow, and you guessed it..... more snow.....

Not a bad state though....
Old 10-27-2005, 12:06 AM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Can't beat Northern Utah for all that.
Only have snow for 3-5 months, rarely gets below zero, and we don't get the wind Chicago gets in the winter.
As is everywhere, the entire population forgets how to drive in the snow, so each storm brings many collisions.

Hardly gets over 100 in the summer.
House prices at least 1/2 that of California.

Born in Bay Area, but lived here my whole life.

phox
I second what phox said . Born and raised in northern Utah it is great for outdoor enthusiasts. We have really bad winters about every ten years which actually are not bad.the rest of the time you could ride a motorcycle year round if you bundled up.
Old 10-27-2005, 12:31 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I lived in Milwaukee Wisconsin all my life (40yrs.)And I have to tell you ,I'm with the good Dr. on this one. First there is not that much actual snow,just alot of miserable cold.High today 50 and it only gets worse from here, until about May.I myself like the outdoors but its just no fun freezing your *** off.When I retire I'll be going somplace where 40 is as cold as it gets and does not last for 6 months.I mean we have snow here in Wis. but you have to go North to get it.But thats what everyone from Chicago does anyway.I know you said Chicago ,but Wis. is more of the outdoor state(up north),it's also a tax hell.Good Luck on your move!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:39 AM

Originally Posted by bumpytruck
I lived in Milwaukee Wisconsin all my life (40yrs.)And I have to tell you ,I'm with the good Dr. on this one. First there is not that much actual snow,just alot of miserable cold.High today 50 and it only gets worse from here, until about May.I myself like the outdoors but its just no fun freezing your *** off.When I retire I'll be going somplace where 40 is as cold as it gets and does not last for 6 months.I mean we have snow here in Wis. but you have to go North to get it.But thats what everyone from Chicago does anyway.I know you said Chicago ,but Wis. is more of the outdoor state(up north),it's also a tax hell.Good Luck on your move!

Yea, Chicago is just one of many places I have been looking. I'm in the very first stages of looking around right now. This move wouldn't be for a while. I have also been looking along the east coast. I might want to stay near the water. But I like to learn as much as possible about places and asking questions helps quite a bit!
Old 10-27-2005, 12:51 AM

It's not the snow so much as the cold here. Get a good snow once or twice a year, almost always get a couple cold snaps where it's right around 0 for a week or so. Average low in January her is like +5f.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:23 AM

Ohio sucks. Insanely high humidity, beligerent snow, headgasket-popping cold, ticket-driven police force and ranked the 7th highest state in tax burden.

Run to Texas. Ranked 43rd in state tax burden, beautiful women and you can pick which climate you want to live in.

brnadon.
Old 10-27-2005, 01:27 AM

Where i live we have about 5 months of snow, and every year i still look forward to it. i have allways lived in an area with long winters. one thing i have to say is 2 wheel drive sucks thats why last year i finaly got myself a decent winter truck 4x4 and it helps that i can tow a trailer full of snow machines now
I would rather live in a snowbank in the north of Canada than anywhere else

Quick Reply: Living in the snow...how is it?