Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Laptops

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2015, 07:27 PM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 153 Likes on 119 Posts
Laptops

Need to buy a new laptop. Anybody have any advice on what brand is best and brands to avoid? Know already that I do NOT want an Acer. Seems that everything is Windows 10 these days, so don't appear to have much choice withe O/S. Don't play games on it, but do need a half decent video card as I use a 22" external monitor. Would like to use an old 30" TV as the monitor, connected via HDMI. Tried it and it is a bit 'liney' for some scenes, but not too bad. My old 22" monitor does not have a HDMI connection and I noticed that most of the news laptops do not have a digital or analog connection for external monitors. Want a decent sound card.

Would like something fairly fast with a decent memory and at least 1 TB of RAM. Is there much difference between the AMD A10 and the Core i5 or i7?

Will need to buy it on-line and have it shipped to a Texas drop ship address. Any suggestions as to what store is best for this? Amazon and Best Buy appear to be leading the flock.

Maybe something like this: Asus 17.3" Laptop Intel Core i3 6GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Black X751LAV-HI31003K - Best Buy

Or: Toshiba Satellite 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i3 6GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Black C55t-C5300 - Best Buy

My brain hurts, too many choices.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:09 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
Need to buy a new laptop. Anybody have any advice on what brand is best and brands to avoid? Know already that I do NOT want an Acer. Seems that everything is Windows 10 these days, so don't appear to have much choice withe O/S. Don't play games on it, but do need a half decent video card as I use a 22" external monitor. Would like to use an old 30" TV as the monitor, connected via HDMI. Tried it and it is a bit 'liney' for some scenes, but not too bad. My old 22" monitor does not have a HDMI connection and I noticed that most of the news laptops do not have a digital or analog connection for external monitors. Want a decent sound card.

Would like something fairly fast with a decent memory and at least 1 TB of RAM. Is there much difference between the AMD A10 and the Core i5 or i7?

Will need to buy it on-line and have it shipped to a Texas drop ship address. Any suggestions as to what store is best for this? Amazon and Best Buy appear to be leading the flock.

Maybe something like this: Asus 17.3" Laptop Intel Core i3 6GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Black X751LAV-HI31003K - Best Buy

Or: Toshiba Satellite 15.6" TouchScreen Laptop Intel Core i3 6GB Memory 1TB Hard Drive Black C55t-C5300 - Best Buy

My brain hurts, too many choices.
I am not about to give you advice other than I will NEVER purchase another Lenovo.

Had a problem with daughters brand new laptop and they ran out the clock, then they want you to pay to even talk to the tech on the phone.

Even the rescue set they sent did not work ( sent during the warranty period ).

I ended up buying a clean Win 7 and spending hours finding drivers for the stupid thing.
Old 11-03-2015, 11:02 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Been doing some research on customer support for the various brands and Lenovo is way down on that list. So far it looks like Apple is the tops with Dell running a close second for customer support. Based on what I have discovered so far, it looks like my next laptop will be a Dell, because customer support is very important to me in my location. That becomes even more important if I cannot easily run back to the seller with a problem.
Old 11-04-2015, 08:07 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
We run Dells at work and I don't want to jinx you, but we have had very good luck with Dell.

We have lots of laptops traveling and in rough industrial plants without too many issues.
Old 11-04-2015, 09:21 AM
DTR Mom

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
all I can picture is you in your remote mountain site holding rabbit ears out the shack door. tin can driver, old tv tube, you know the scene....hehheh

dell will build anything you want and back it up with the tech support, software is less.

HP I have had for years and is bombproof, travel proof, gov work proof and I liked the 1 855 idiot line. they get right to the point and don't make you feel like an id ...well.
as if they are there with you trying to solve the problem. the product number line is a waste of time. I have win 7 in a mini laptop for the least amount of problems.
hope that helps. I also have a brand new acer. have not had it on for more than five minutes.......
Old 11-04-2015, 09:36 AM

Received 39 Likes on 31 Posts
My wife has the I3 running gear and it's real slow compared to my I7.
I'd shoot for an I5 which my friend has. It's plenty fast.
Aside from a power supply,our old dell lasted eight years and our current Dells are three yrs old now and used daily.
Understanding support from India is the challenge.
Old 11-04-2015, 06:53 PM

Just discovered that there are still a bunch of Dell laptops available with W7. Most of them are refurbished. Hmmmmm, I wonder???????
Old 11-05-2015, 12:06 PM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
I've had good luck with Toshiba so far. I will say I now dislike Windows 10. Ran great for 4 months then I lost everything on my laptop. I'm reloading 7 during the reconstruction. 10 crashed big after an update. If I had know that, I could have saved everything.
Old 11-05-2015, 01:49 PM

The only laptop that I have found so far that has all the features I want is this one: ASUS Laptop X555UB-NH51 Intel Core i5 6200U (2.30 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 940M 15.6" Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

Never owned an Asus before, but the reviews seem to indicate that it is very good. Some rate it higher than Dell.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:34 PM

Received 420 Likes on 321 Posts
Only 8g ram? I'm running 16g.
Old 11-07-2015, 05:57 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by Mexstan
The only laptop that I have found so far that has all the features I want is this one: ASUS Laptop X555UB-NH51 Intel Core i5 6200U (2.30 GHz) 8 GB Memory 1 TB HDD NVIDIA GeForce 940M 15.6" Windows 10 Home - Newegg.com

Never owned an Asus before, but the reviews seem to indicate that it is very good. Some rate it higher than Dell.
I have an Asus laptop with Win8. I use it for traveling. Computer's rock solid, not particularly fast. OS occasionally drives me crazy.

I've spec'd and used ASUS parts and computers for years. Just retired a 12 year old Novel server that was still chugging along running a 150 employee fab shop. Between Asus and Adaptec, it was running flawlessly with 2 fried disks in it when we took it down.
Old 11-10-2015, 06:08 AM

Due to the warranty situation down here, I finally settled for an Acer. If I buy a computer in the US and bring it down here and run into problems, then brands like Dell and Asus need to be sent away to be repaired and that is a hassle. I know the local Acer rep and he is very good, so bought a laptop from him. It is more expensive down here, but dems da breaks. Another problem with buying a computer in this part of the world is that all the keyboards are in Spanish, but my guy will change it to English for me. Just need to pay for the new keyboard.
Paradise is not perfect as there are a few hiccups.

Windows 10 in English, Core i7, 15.6", 3.1 Ghz, 2 TB 7200 rpm, 16 GB RAM, 1920x 1080 resolution. Had to compromise on the ports that I wanted, but can live with this one.