Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

I Don't Know What To Put Here, Random Thought.

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-2006, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Just remember,
if ordering frame or body parts for a 2002, tell them it's a 2001.

It will avoid frustration and returns.

phox
ohhh, ya, i learned that the first time it happened, i got my truck and i went to order the vent visors around the windows, and of course they were for the new body style, had to take them back and wait a few more days.
Old 12-21-2006, 07:16 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I just go tell them I have a double aught.

I guess a '10 would be correct. sounds a bit odd, but they will know what your talking about...

I guess you could call it an 0-10
Old 12-21-2006, 07:20 PM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
I just go tell them I have a double aught.

I guess a '10 would be correct. sounds a bit odd, but they will know what your talking about...

I guess you could call it an 0-10
that's what i'd be catching myself saying all the time, "umm ya, i got an 0-10"
Old 12-21-2006, 07:50 PM

Whatever we say to communicate to the parts folks in the year 2010, 2011 or others won't be any different then when it turned year 2000. It's all a matter of getting use to it!

A couple of weeks ago we had a snow storm and I went in to the local O'Reilly to get a brake master cyl. for a '78, Chev, 3/4 ton, 4x4.

I got all the questions asked back again, like I was talking to an inanimate object. Upon the young man entering the proper responses he said, "it shows 3 master cyl. for that truck". I said, "fine give me all there". (they were closing in 1/2 hour and I needed my truck that night). Then he says, "it can't be this one". So I said, "give me the other two". I finally left with both parts and was able to get the system going that evening.

Most auto parts stores are not PARTS HOUSES (as they use to be referred to as), they're OUT HOUSES! More times then not they look ou the part and they are out of it and have to order it in.
Old 02-13-2008, 09:42 PM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My favorite parts man finally got use to asking me what it come off of and not what it's going on
Old 02-14-2008, 08:19 AM
Chapter President

Now thats the way to do it.
Old 02-14-2008, 08:33 AM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by satburn
I like how you have to sit there and pause for those guys at the auto parts store. I rattle off something like "I need a belt for a 97 Dodge 3/4 ton with a 5.9 diesel". The guy goes *clickety*, *clickety*, looks at me and says "What year?", then I get to repeat it again, except pausing this time between make, model and engine size. Grrrr...
Brian, unfortunately thats because most of them don't have enough experience to know what parts fit what ... and the computer they look up parts on requires them to go through a series of drop down menus before they finally get to the parts numbers...

I confused the hell out of them when i went in to order a three position marine light switch for a Belarus Tractor...( Bosch part # S 141)... they could figure out how to order it without a vehicle to enter into the computer...
Old 02-14-2008, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by D2 Cat
Most auto parts stores are not PARTS HOUSES (as they use to be referred to as), they're OUT HOUSES! More times then not they look ou the part and they are out of it and have to order it in.
I dont know about the rest of y all but this is especially true with the Auto Zone down the street from me.
Old 02-14-2008, 11:21 PM

At the rate its going as far as parts people are concerned I wonder if it wouldnt be quicker for them to just turn the computer around and let me look it up, some of these parts store guys are real winners. I went in recently to get a new belt and told the guy it was a 95 2500 w/ a cummins, after a few clicks he gets a dumbfounded look on his face and says are you sure it has a cummins? I pointed to it out in the parking lot where it was sitting idling and told him, cant you hear it!!!! He had typed in 1500 in the computer and it didnt show the cummins as a option, I guess he didnt hear me say 2500 or wasnt smart enough to think and type at the same time. I found its best for me to look up the part number before I go in there so that way I know what I'm getting.
Old 08-06-2010, 02:49 PM

This has happened to me: I ask for a filter (air or air) for a “2003 Dodge diesel”, and the parts guy begins the *20 questions game with me*------------- “Is it HO or SO?” “Is it a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?” “Standard or auto?” “Bla Bla Bla”
Old 08-06-2010, 04:24 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ridiculous
... just saying that it would sound pretty weird to say that the year of your truck is a '10'
BE even weirder to say you had a 10 if your truck was a Ford!

Man, talk about dredging up an old thread!

And speaking of incompetent counter people, last week I went into the parts store and asked the new counter guy for a roll of 12 gauge wire, preferably 100'. Guess what his next question was... "What make and year?" I couldn't believe it! I had to ask him twice what he meant and finally told him to go get the store manager.
Old 08-06-2010, 06:32 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by stock03
This has happened to me: I ask for a filter (air or air) for a “2003 Dodge diesel”, and the parts guy begins the *20 questions game with me*------------- “Is it HO or SO?” “Is it a 2 wheel drive or 4 wheel drive?” “Standard or auto?” “Bla Bla Bla”
I have K&N on all my vehicles. Also, all the vehicles use the same oil filter (funny thing about owning 2 Xterras and a frontier) so I buy filters by the case.
Other than that, my local AZ has started asking which vehicle instead of what vehicle.