Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

How can you stop them from stealing your truck

Search this Thread

Old 01-16-2008, 04:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i was reading on the site that they come to yo and install it.... how long does this take them?
Old 01-16-2008, 04:26 PM

Usually a few hours, depends on if you bug the installer with a bunch of questions about his truck or not! But in all seriousness, I work nights and take my truck to work, and I feel much better about having it in there. After seeing how much they do to install it, you will too.
Old 01-16-2008, 04:38 PM

nice so its not some stupid gimic that they come in and cut a few wires and drill a box in place then?
Old 01-16-2008, 05:55 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Not at all. It doesn't look like much, but in fact its pretty foolproof.
Old 01-17-2008, 02:42 AM

i just went thru this too. i will be looking into this unit.
Old 01-17-2008, 12:06 PM

If you want to go cheap, you could put a fuel shut off valve on the line, manual or elect. have a switch in the cab?
Old 01-17-2008, 01:23 PM

I have the Ravelco, watched it being installed, it ties into several circuits, so not just a couple wires that you could cut/jumper to bupass, or flip like a kill switch. They are all the same color, so you can't identify what goes to what circuit. The plug that you take with you when you exit the vehicle has it's own specific combination in the contacts as well.

I also have the factory alarm module, very sensitive unit to motion, so even if the knock off your door handle, the alarm will be blaring away, and it also affects ignition circuitry.

I also have the Jimmi-Jammers that are plates that prevent the knock off at the handle from accessing your locking system. They will stop the door access right away. That makes the thieves have to break a window or be more agressive to get into your truck.

I always park my truck with the wheels turned, backed into something that creates a barrier to getting to the back end, in reverse gear with parking brake on.

EVERY little thing you can do to prevent them from making easy work of a theft is one more reason they will pass you vehicle and go after an easier traget. They might still break into your vehicle, steal the contents of whatever, but the Ravelco keeps them from driving it off.

CD
Old 01-17-2008, 04:11 PM

i already have the jimmy jammers ordered. the local revelco guy sent me an email and the price is really not out of line if it's as good as they say. it's a LOT cheaper than lojack.
Old 01-17-2008, 05:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Didn't someone here get there truck stolen even though it had a revelco? I think there was a post about it months ago...
Old 01-17-2008, 10:32 PM

If I'm in a shady area I pop out my starter relay.
Old 01-18-2008, 11:27 AM

Location: My head lays down in Murrieta, but the day light hours are spent in San Diego, Ca.
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by triplenickel
If I'm in a shady area I pop out my starter relay.
I also do this. In fact, up intill I installed a new tranny, I was doing this for the last 2 months because my tranny would not go into park; which means the key became a hostage to the steering colum.
Old 01-18-2008, 01:41 PM
DTR Detective

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
I haven't honestly looked how feasible it is on the Dodge, but this is what I have on my 93 Mustang.

In the Hatchback area I have a key controlled micro-switch which breaks the circuit to the fuel pump. Whenever I park for the night I remove the key and arm the alarm.

I would imagine you could do the same and just have it in an odd area thieves wouldn't normally look.

It's even fooled me a few times...rrrrrr....rrrrrr....rrrrrr. What the heck? Oh ya my fuel pump key!
Old 01-21-2008, 12:00 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by dieselJon
Didn't someone here get there truck stolen even though it had a revelco? I think there was a post about it months ago...
The truck was NOT stolen because of the Ravelco. It was my truck. They tried their tails off to get it though. I still have the truck in my possession!

here is the link to the thread on the attempted theft

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...hlight=ravelco
Old 01-21-2008, 12:08 AM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jamminram
Invest in lojack with early warning. Costs about $900.00 to install. If your vehicle is stolen you contact the police, fill out a stolen report than the police activate the lojack system. Unlike onstar, lojack uses a radio signal that can be detected by the police. Your vehicle can be anywhere even in a garage. 99% return rate.
www.lojack.com
There is now a product out there that scrambles the GPS signal and it plugs into the cig lighter! .. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Steal...spagenameZWDVW
They advertise it as "tired of big brother following you" says it will cloak GPS tracking devices. not a good thing to be on the market and it is $350. Makes that $900 lojac a waste of money and lojac does not work in all locations.
Old 01-21-2008, 06:21 PM

The problem with lojack is because its installed by a human it can just as easily be uninstalled by a human.. even quicker because they dont care what they break in the process.

Personally there is really no point in trying to secure your vehicle. If they want it, they will either steal it or damage it trying.

Cost for lojack, antitheft, whatever + cost of damage to vehicle + the thought of having to always WORRY about it is just not worth it.

Let the insurance company replace it.. You dont want a stolen vehicle back anyway.

Quick Reply: How can you stop them from stealing your truck