Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

have any of you

Search this Thread

Old 06-20-2005, 12:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
have any of you

tonight i was driving a buddy to his car, past a cop and it was like i new he was going to pull me over. he made the eye contact and everything, but anyway he pulls me over then comes up and tell me my tires stick out to far. i have 10'' rims with 265's on them. i was just wondering if this has happened to any of you with tires that stick out of the body? the i looked up the code he wrote on the warning and after about 2 hours of looking on the internet i couldn't find anything. do any of you guys think i would have a fighting chance if i didn't fix it and they wrote me a ticket?
Old 06-20-2005, 12:35 AM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Correct, around these parts the tires can't stick out past the body. you would need to add fender flares and depending on the height, mud flaps as well....
I can't speak for north dakota, but depending on the box that was ticked, the cop would give you a big fine and a tow if you didn't comply.....
Old 06-20-2005, 06:12 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Swap out to a freinds set of stocks, go for the work order inspection, swap back.
Unless you encounter that particular officer again, you may go the rest of your life not having another issue.
Seen it done quite often round here.
Old 06-20-2005, 07:00 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If you've ever encountered a truck or car with tires that stick out past the fenders in the rain or snow, you see why the safety inspection laws are written that way.

Rooster tails off all four tires make following one of those trucks a pain.

Why not avoid the reoccuring problem and install proper fender flares?
Old 06-20-2005, 07:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I think he was just needing a reason to pull you over to see if you were drinking. Two guys in a pickup at night, the chances of finding an open container is about 95% here.
Old 06-20-2005, 08:06 AM

I think he was just needing a reason to pull you over to see if you were drinking. Two guys in a pickup at night, the chances of finding an open container is about 95% here.
Good call, I would have said the same thing.

My brother was pulled over for his 31by10.5 on a 88 toyota truck, The officer said that they could only stick out 2 inches and they were past that. He only got a warning and was told to fix them. He did nothing and had no problems.

I would call your DMV and ask them about the law, it cant hurt. The outer thing you could do is cary around a set of fender flares in the bed and tell the officer that you just got them and you were going to put them on, but if you had them why wouldn't you put them on?

Coop
Old 06-20-2005, 01:19 PM

yeah thats the only thing i didn't really want to put fender flares on. but i guess i'm going to have to. since i plan on going to bigger tires later on when money allows it. but anyway thanks for the replies.

Aaron
Old 06-20-2005, 01:32 PM
DTR'S Chaplain

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I have a big crack in my windshield from a Toyota with wide tires and no flairs or flaps and think its a good law.
They do throw rain mud and rocks.
just my .2
Old 06-20-2005, 03:26 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Shovelhead
If you've ever encountered a truck or car with tires that stick out past the fenders in the rain or snow, you see why the safety inspection laws are written that way.

Rooster tails off all four tires make following one of those trucks a pain.
Hey, I resemble that remark.

I did everything by the book.
2 inch fender flares, and big Cummins mud flaps
and I still feel sorry for the poor soul that has to follow me in the rain.

Since I'm a nice gentlemanly kind of guy, I'll pull into the next lane if I see the person behind me struggling with their wipers on full speed.

I have yet to get pulled over, but I've heard of a few folks in my neck of the woods that get hassled constantly by the nice policemen, so I know I'm due.

I found my states laws concerning lifts and tires and keep a copy in my glovebox for when I do get pulled over,
I am in compliance with everything noted, so hopefully the nice policeman is in a good mood.

phox