Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Harbor freight 4x8 trailer...?

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-2005, 06:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Harbor freight 4x8 trailer...?

Can foldup and roll into garage......Does anyone have one of these?

lookin to get for my motorcycle.

Any good?
Safe?

Looked pretty durable in store.
Old 05-11-2005, 08:25 PM

Depending on the price, a 5' x 8' utility trailer can be had for around $600. Much more durable with road tires and better lighting. I would buy one for life, not just look for something cheap to get by with. JMO.
Old 05-12-2005, 05:02 AM

got a pic? I bought a Long-Chi 4x8 bolt together one from northern tool a year or two ago. it was cheap and has served admirably but i have had a few down falls with it. first was trying to get it registered. Went to AAA and they had these forms and required me to take it to a mechanic for an inspection and take pics etc and send them in blah blah blah. No trailer mechanic wanted to take a look. i go tlucky and went to a notary and had the manual that said kit on it rather than home built or the like. Any how it has a 900 lb capacity. yeah i put a ton of limestone dust in it. not good. bent the axle and heated the tires bad. went 5 miles and kept her under thirty. tires burned me to the touch. (yeah dumb) anyhow i had it loaded with a lighter load and just jacked up the axle and bent her straight. good as new! use it now to just tow junk around. before i got my truck it was good to tow my quad with as well. My big polaris sportsman 700 just fit width wise with the rails (more on those in a sec) and was just under the weight capacity. I wrecked my quad and had a tire locked up on it and so i winched it onto the trailer which seems to have tweaked it a bit. anyhow other than trying to get a plate for it, not bad. the thing is with the sides put in it would be a pain to remove them for folding up. also must be careful with the wiring when you fold and unfold it. anyhow when i got the letter informing me it was time for dues, i paid the 35 for 7 years here in PA so i wouldnt have to worry about it lapsing and haveing to go through that crap again. i figure if i get 8-9 years out of it good for me.
Old 05-12-2005, 09:18 AM

My neighbor has a harbor freight fold-up. In my never to be humble opinion it's a piece of junk. They are cheap to buy but they have 12 inch donut tires. Not much load capacity. If you are looking for something for very light duty you might consider it.
Old 05-12-2005, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I purchased the "Heavy Duty" model 5 years ago just to haul junk. I never thought much about folding it up so it is bolted straight. I put a 7/8 piece of plywood on the bed and that helps with structural integrity and 3' tall wood stakebed style sides. $499.00 fully set up. DMV had no problems registering it.

I too bent the axel hauling a cord of almond, and bent the tongue hauling 2100lbs of concrete and bricks.

Personally I think they are great if you remember that they are a "Light" duty trailer. (I've never been able to remember that )

I recently sold it to my buddie for $300.00 to haul his quads, so they do retain their value quite well.