Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

harbor freight tools

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 01:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question harbor freight tools

Just checking to see what others feel about the quality of harbor freight's tools. been looking at a compressor they have.
Old 06-24-2005, 04:28 AM

You get what you pay for!! We have a HF store near here and It's hard not to buy tools there when they are so cheap but most of that stuff is made overseas and the quality stinks.
Old 06-24-2005, 05:39 AM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would only buy "disposable" itmes from Harbor Freight. I think it would be tought to find more than 5% of their items NOT built in China.
Old 06-24-2005, 06:02 AM

As stated you get what you pay for. Sometimes. I would not count on a tool lasting a long time from there. But you save money. In a case where quality and durability aren't crucial go for it. I would not take to do machine work on my engine with one of there Mills.

I.E. We had a two MATCO body files (sucessively) that only lasted long enough for one project. Small project. So I went and got a dual piston body file from HF $35 out the door. It has lasted longer than the other two combined. But I wouldn't trust my fingers in a tight spot with one of their clamps.

Randy
Old 06-24-2005, 08:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree. Great cheap disposable tools. I wouldn't trust my knuckles to them but for tools where I don't need the high quality, it sure helps stretch the pocketbook. I have one of their 4" electric grinders. Terrible gear noise but it does the job and for $20, if it does get dropped or dies, what have I lost?

Having said that, they do also sell Dewalt and other name-brand tools but you pay the higher price for them.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:31 AM

I myself dont mind giving them a try. so far ive been pleased with what ive purchased from them. With some things theres just no reason to buy the mac version for 100 when you can get the same thing there for 10. sometimes the "quality matters" as said with machining work and what not. the only 2 mechanical items ive bought was a air hammer for 60 bucks which has out performed my Snap on ph3050 acouple times. But that could be for other reasons. That snappy gun ended up being a shop t ool grrrrr Im too nice and they just arnt nice enough to oil the darn thing

The other thing was the 20 ton air opperated bottle jack, It was pretty cheep so i was like hum oh well. But shes picked up a fire truck couple times. So thats impressive enough being the shops doesnt always pull it off
Old 06-24-2005, 08:41 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I use a good deal of their tools with great success, but I am careful to buy only those tools that will be used occasionally. I don't buy anything that I have to make a living with, but for occasional use or the average homeowner, the stuff works just fine.

Looking over their compressors I would not be afraid to try one, I would not expect it to power a shop 7 day's a week tho If you just want it to air up tires and other occasional duties around the house, it should do real well.
Old 06-24-2005, 08:59 AM

FYI: Some of those light duty, direct drive compressors are deafeningly LOUD.
My neighbor bought one and when it kicks on, it makes us both jump!
If you are going to be using it alot around the garage, you'll come to HATE the noise. All conversation ceases until it clicks off.
Recommendation: Ask to plug one in before plunking down the $$$...
If it startles the crap out of the rest of the customers, you may not want that one.
Belt drive units turn slower and are MUCH quieter, but cost a bit more.

K
Old 06-24-2005, 09:09 AM

i bought a self darkening welding helmet off one of the trucks for work $200+ and the one i got for under $50 from harbor freight works ten times better.
Old 06-24-2005, 09:10 AM

Oh yes, the single stage compressors are loud, even craftsman. I bought a folding engine hoist from HF for moving some equipment. Did the job. Buy the extra warrenty if you are worried about the first 3 years of operation.

Ron
Old 06-24-2005, 09:59 AM

thanks for the input guys, but is the central pneumatic compressors made in china?
Old 06-24-2005, 11:18 AM

dont know, but I bet most every mfg's less expensive units are imported from somewhere. What is the price comparison to something at homedepot or other retail. As stated above, if it is for around the house use go for it. If it is for light business work, and you need a bargain right now, go for it also and spend the savings on other items to get you rolling.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:32 PM
Banned

I bought a $20 angle grinder there for $9.99 tax exempt. I only needed it for one thing but I've used it for all sorts of stuff. Grinding frames, making wood look aged and cut up, cutting u-joints out of driveshafts. I also bought a $1.99 ball peen from them. That's held up great to. The only thing that didn't hold up great was the $20 14v drill and light combo I bought. I drilled 6 holes and the battery died along with the charger.
Old 06-24-2005, 12:43 PM

Go check Lowes for any Campbell-Hausfeld brand compressors still in stock. About a week ago, they were still closing out all the C-H models in favor of their own new "Kobalt" line of compressors. They had a 7Hp 220v, belt-drive, cast iron 2 cyl compressor, with a 60 gal. vertical tank, clearance sale priced at $287.00!!! It was marked "last one"...
If I hadn't already bought a comp, I would have taken that one home right then!
I'll bet it wasn't there the next day!

Keith
Old 06-24-2005, 03:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
About four years ago my compressor went down and I had a job to do, so went to Harbor and bought a 60 gallon, I think it is 8 hp. No complaints, it runs and makes air, never has used any oil, sits outside. Went on a trip for 4 days and had the hose blow an end off, it ran for a couple of days, no problems. Most equipment is purchased from Asia and they put whatever name on it.

Quick Reply: harbor freight tools