Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gun barrel twist question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 02:40 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by shortround
Actually, this is why (according to an old Chief Gunners Mate AND a even older and crusty Gunny, neither of which would ever mislead a young recruit).
Back in the olden days, when the M1911 Colt (prior to the M1911A1) was developed, the barrel had a left hand twist. This was done to force the grip of the weapon into the palm of the right hand, thus providing the shooter with a bit better control of the weapon. A right hand twist would have the tendency to twist the grip away from the palm. I am a lefty, and when I rebuilt my Colt Commander, I got a barrel with a right hand twist. Seems to work for me.
Due to my generosity and willingness to share my knowledge with the unknowing masses, I will not charge for this tidbit of information.

DWIthataremorescrewedupthanabushelbasketofcoathang ersShortround out
Geee, I never noticed it while shooting my 1911 Gov. And I'm a lefty....

MikeyB
Old 12-11-2007, 03:06 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by butchera
Yes, if used in the proper context. Such as:

"I was swishing the whiskey around in my mouth to get rid of the skunky beer taste."

See, used in the proper context you maintain your masculinity.
Thank you Butch, I knew I could count on an old "trigger" like yourself
Old 12-11-2007, 07:45 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
LoL: I cant beat any of the brilliant scientific responses you already have received.
Old 12-11-2007, 07:56 PM
Banned

I can not imagine why no one has pointed out the extreme importance of getting left hand twist bullets for this gun, right hand twist bullets could get caught in the barrel and cause the next round to start a fusion reaction, the likes of which would would be unstoppable.
Old 12-11-2007, 08:07 PM

One goes this away, ->->->
The other goes that a way <-<-<-
Old 12-11-2007, 08:13 PM

It'll give the CSI pause....

If it ever came to that!!!

I really never thought about it before, but I knew gang bangers held their guns funny for a reason...
Old 12-11-2007, 08:27 PM
DTR's 'Wrench thrower...' And he aims for the gusto...

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
These barrels are intended for use in the southern hemisphere where the opposite rotational spin of the bullet helps to counter negative "G" forces caused by the Earths rotational mass.

Since the planet Earth rotates in one direction, a bullet needs to spin in the opposite direction to counter bullet deflection caused by this naturally occuring phenomenon.

If you hold your pistol at a 90 degree off angle as you see Gang members do on tv, this will help cancel the left hand spin, which is the only obvious reason any sane person would hold a firearm in that manner.

Now once you digest this vast wealth of information I have bestowed on you for free, please call me so I can sell you some prime real estate on Jupiter

You were correct in your initial opinion, nothing different other than the obvious.

If you aim over your shoulder while looking through a mirror it corrects the reverse twist. You should know that!

John
Old 12-11-2007, 09:16 PM

I always heard that it was for those of us who close the wrong eye while aiming ..... Kinda brings that "broad side" of the barn a little closer.

Bruce ... your explanation makes sense to me.
PISTOL
Old 12-11-2007, 09:18 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by Raspy
If you aim over your shoulder while looking through a mirror it corrects the reverse twist. You should know that!

John

Yes you are right but I didn't want to appear to be bragging
Old 12-11-2007, 09:21 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
If you are going to carry two guns cowboy style, you would probably want one right hand twist and one left hand twist so they cancel each other out.

Otherwise, during a two gun rapid fire string the shooter might tend to list to one side...

This is a cute thread- Kind of like a "What color is your powerband?" thread someone started over on one of the ATV forums a while back...
Old 12-11-2007, 10:14 PM

I think its related to that toilet rotation thing between the north and the south hemisphere
Old 12-11-2007, 10:38 PM

Originally Posted by ArkansasRam
I think its related to that toilet rotation thing between the north and the south hemisphere
Coriolis Effect. We keep this up, and we're going to be pulling out FADACs and BUCS computers. If you know what those two acronyms stand for, you're probably way older than I am.
Old 12-12-2007, 06:14 AM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
At least there are two of us familar with FADAC and BUCS. I have a doctorate in wire wrapping on FADAC. I hated that pig.

fromthethoughtShortround out
Old 12-12-2007, 09:08 AM
I was banned per my own request for speaking the name Pelosi

I thought left hand twist went out with the cross-draw. Guys would draw quickly flinging the round to the right. The left twist over corrected this. Also made good for skipping bullets around left hand corners so the shooter coul stay behind cover.