Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gun barrel twist question?

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2007, 10:22 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Gun barrel twist question?

I went to a gun show this weekend and bought a new 6.28" ported barrel for my Glock 17. In the literature that came with the barrel it states that it has a left hand twist, the original stock barrel is a right hand twist. I was wondering (I know I can get lost doing that) what is the difference is between the left hand twist & the right hand twist other than the obvious.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:36 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Nada, Manufacturer just made it left hand twist.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:41 PM

Good! Cause I thought I was going to have to shoot left handed now.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
These barrels are intended for use in the southern hemisphere where the opposite rotational spin of the bullet helps to counter negative "G" forces caused by the Earths rotational mass.

Since the planet Earth rotates in one direction, a bullet needs to spin in the opposite direction to counter bullet deflection caused by this naturally occuring phenomenon.

If you hold your pistol at a 90 degree off angle as you see Gang members do on tv, this will help cancel the left hand spin, which is the only obvious reason any sane person would hold a firearm in that manner.

Now once you digest this vast wealth of information I have bestowed on you for free, please call me so I can sell you some prime real estate on Jupiter

You were correct in your initial opinion, nothing different other than the obvious.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:46 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
it has to do with the rotation of the earth. if you live above the equator up is actually up and with the earth rotating clockwise, you need a right twist barrel
If you live below the equator, up is down, so relative to your location, the earth rotates counterclockwise. hence a left hand barrel.

If you have a left handed barrel above the equator, and shoot it, the opposing rotations between the earth and the projectile will cause the bullet to act like a boomerang, and essentially you will end up shooting yourself.
Old 12-11-2007, 12:47 PM
Banned

dang it lary, you and i were posting almost the same nonsense at the same time.

Old 12-11-2007, 12:49 PM
Admin Team Leader

Yes but my nonsense made either more, or less sense than your nonsense
Old 12-11-2007, 12:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
These barrels are intended for use in the southern hemisphere where the opposite rotational spin of the bullet helps to counter negative "G" forces caused by the Earths rotational mass.

Since the planet Earth rotates in one direction, a bullet needs to spin in the opposite direction to counter bullet deflection caused by this naturally occuring phenomenon.

If you hold your pistol at a 90 degree off angle as you see Gang members do on tv, this will help cancel the left hand spin, which is the only obvious reason any sane person would hold a firearm in that manner.

Now once you digest this vast wealth of information I have bestowed on you for free, please call me so I can sell you some prime real estate on Jupiter

You were correct in your initial opinion, nothing different other than the obvious.

Thats' just toooo funny
Old 12-11-2007, 01:21 PM

Location: In the middle of Weather Dry Creek Farm in Avilla, Arkansas
Actually, this is why (according to an old Chief Gunners Mate AND a even older and crusty Gunny, neither of which would ever mislead a young recruit).
Back in the olden days, when the M1911 Colt (prior to the M1911A1) was developed, the barrel had a left hand twist. This was done to force the grip of the weapon into the palm of the right hand, thus providing the shooter with a bit better control of the weapon. A right hand twist would have the tendency to twist the grip away from the palm. I am a lefty, and when I rebuilt my Colt Commander, I got a barrel with a right hand twist. Seems to work for me.
Due to my generosity and willingness to share my knowledge with the unknowing masses, I will not charge for this tidbit of information.

DWIthataremorescrewedupthanabushelbasketofcoathang ersShortround out
Old 12-11-2007, 01:39 PM
Admin Team Leader

Originally Posted by shortround
Actually, this is why (according to an old Chief Gunners Mate AND a even older and crusty Gunny, neither of which would ever mislead a young recruit).
Back in the olden days, when the M1911 Colt (prior to the M1911A1) was developed, the barrel had a left hand twist. This was done to force the grip of the weapon into the palm of the right hand, thus providing the shooter with a bit better control of the weapon. A right hand twist would have the tendency to twist the grip away from the palm. I am a lefty, and when I rebuilt my Colt Commander, I got a barrel with a right hand twist. Seems to work for me.
Due to my generosity and willingness to share my knowledge with the unknowing masses, I will not charge for this tidbit of information.

DWIthataremorescrewedupthanabushelbasketofcoathang ersShortround out
Thats only because the 45 bullet is so slow and heavy, you can feel it swishing down the barrel Hmm ... is "swishing" a word that we can use without risking our masculinity?
Old 12-11-2007, 01:49 PM
REALLY old dog

Talking

WELL IF YOU CHECK BALLISTIC TESTS A LEFT HANDED TWIST WILL ONLY TRAVEL ABOUT 70% OF THE DISTANCE OF A RIGHT HANDED TWIST IN THE NORTREN HEMISPHER IF IT WAS ME IDE TAKE IT BACK AND MAKE THEM GIVE ME THE CORRECT ONE FOR UP HERE,
Old 12-11-2007, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Hmm ... is "swishing" a word that we can use without risking our masculinity?
Yes, if used in the proper context. Such as:

"I was swishing the whiskey around in my mouth to get rid of the skunky beer taste."

See, used in the proper context you maintain your masculinity.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:55 PM

Ok this is getting out of hand, I'm going to have to shut this thread down.

O wait I can't do that.
Old 12-11-2007, 01:58 PM

Actually, aside from the obvious, you may (operative word, MAY) feel a little difference in the recoil.

Other then that, have fun with it.
Old 12-11-2007, 02:00 PM
REALLY old dog

Talking

CABBIN FEAVER IS CATCHING !

Quick Reply: Gun barrel twist question?