Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Grand Island, Nebraska?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2006, 12:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Grand Island, Nebraska?

Anyone live in the area?

Found out last night my next contract is there. Will be there from 12 to 18 months starting mid-November. I've been by there on I-80 quite a few times, and even been through town once or twice but never really stopped and investigated the situation.

I am pretty sure there is a Dodge dealer in town, but don't know if they are Cummins friendly or not. I think we have a spot for the fiver in one of the mobile home parks there.

I grew up in north central/northwest Kansas, so am fairly familiar with the climate and stuff, but just wondering what there is for recreation in G.I.? Any good restaurants? Shopping for the Missus???

Thanks.

Steve
Old 10-13-2006, 07:41 AM

Its a short drive to Lincoln, My wife is from that area. I spent a few months in Norfolk where she is from and all I can say is you have to get out of town to lincoln or Omaha to have any variety
Old 10-13-2006, 08:03 AM

Originally Posted by elandon1201
all I can say is you have to get out of town to lincoln or Omaha to have any variety
That pretty much sums it up. My grandma used to live there before she passed away. There really isn't much to do there as it is still in the middle of nowhere. Like previously stated though, Omaha & Lincoln are only a short drive away & would be a good for a Saturday drive.
Old 10-13-2006, 08:52 AM

All you guys who say nothing to do and middle of nowhere have obviously not been where I am now... I am thinking it will be a paradise mecca compared to Tuba City

Thanks for the input. Keep the info coming.

Steve
Old 10-13-2006, 09:29 AM

Each to their own. I live in Lincoln and go west to the middle of no where to get my variety. Grand Island is getting more shopping and more restaurants. Just the usual mall nothing special though. Lincoln is 1 hour on the interstate, Omaha is 1 hour 30-45 min away.
I am not sure about the dealer, I have never talked to them. And I personally don't know anyone in town that has a dodge.
As far as recreation, it depends on what you like to do. There are some golf courses, plenty of fishing, if you have a quad you can go to Halsey to the state park and see some great scenery, there are quite a few winerys poping up in the area that are fun to visit, Husker games!, Omaha henry doorly zoo, College World Series in June.
Personally I enjoy road tripping into the sandhills and seeing some great scenery, fishing, tubing/canoeing, hunting, etc.
Old 10-13-2006, 10:17 AM
Banned

I really haven't spent much time in Grand Island.....but I drive through there all the time going to my grandparents house. They live in Pierce...a tiny town about 15 miles outside of Norfolk. Anywhooo, they are putting in more stores and resturants around there, I've noticed a lot of construction the last few times I've been through there.

I also agree with heading to Lincoln.......there is a lot more to do and checking out a Husker game would be sweet!! GO BIG RED!!! Those games are amazing to watch from inside the stadium. Also there is a TON of resturants.

~Nick
Old 10-13-2006, 10:47 AM
Urban Legend

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Going west out of Lincoln back in the early 80s there used to be a small bar/ grill out on US 6 like you where going toward Crete. All of the Crete Carrier Corp.drivers used to go there. It was called “Merles Place” used to have cold beer and good prime rib and a real good steak. It was a nice mom and pop type of place . I just wonder if its still there?
Old 10-13-2006, 11:57 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
scribner dragstrip should be up the road from you.

we were in this club in omaha:
www.midwestcamaro.com

there's a LOT of going out to eat in the winter, too cold much else.

i liked it up there, enjoyed the change of seasons.
Old 10-13-2006, 01:25 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I've got a good buddy in henderson, a samll town just east of G.I..... I'll ask him whats to do in the area and see what he suggests.... tho when I go visit, we go to Lincoln to do anything.....