Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Got a Glock

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Good morning, I’m not here to offend, take it for what it is, as far as the heal plug goes don’t use them and here is why. If your carrying a weapon you should be familiar with every aspect of it, not only target shooting but more important, READ 2B, the hole is designed for a reason.
IMMEDIATE ACTION DRILLS
1. Tap, Rack, Ready / Assess
a). Tap bottom of magazine to insure it is seated
b). Forcefully Rack slide
1). Tip gun clockwise for gravity assist
c). Assess situation; continue firing if justified
2. Lock, Rip, Work...
a). Physically lock pistol open
1). Retract slide and push up on slide lock lever
b). Rip magazine from mag-well (the hole is there to get your thumb above the magazine floor plate)
1). Likely an in-line stoppage; cartridge on feedramp will prevent magazine from dropping normally
c). Work the action
1). Rack the slide a few times to clear any obstructions
d). Tap a fresh magazine in place
1). Original mag may have caused problem so eliminate it
e). Rack the slide to chamber a fresh round
f). Assess situation and fire if justified
On the Lock,Rip... drill; some current instructors and schools of thought are teaching to eliminate the first "lock the slide" step and merely start by ripping the magazine from the mag-well, letting the slide close on whatever is in the chamber; then Tapping a new mag in place, racking the slide, and continuing. Essentially just reloading with a slide-rack. While this method is vastly quicker than "Lock, Rip"; the schools that teach it are predominantly 1911 and Glock oriented. The drill is gun-specific and will not work with all firearms. On some it is all but impossible to rip the magazine from the mag-well (Beretta), and on others the extractor does not have enough tension to hook the cartridge rim when the slide is dropped without being fully locked back (Sig). If the technique works with your gun it is recommended, but try it and KNOW YOUR GUN!!! I'm off to wash the truck, carry and drive safe!
Old 03-11-2007, 04:38 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Kurt Eric, good point.

phox
Old 03-11-2007, 04:52 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Hoss
Yep!! I just happened to check in this morning while getting ready for worship and saw your thread.

Congrats on your first Glock. Careful though...they tend to multiply.

I offer two points of advice:

1) Shoot, shoot, shoot and shoot...and then when you get done go shoot some more.

2) There's a book called The Complete Glock Reference Guide by Paladin Press. In my opinion every Glock owner needs to own that book. It provides all sorts of useful information.

3) I know I said two, but I thought of another one. If you haven't found it already, GlockTalk.com is a great discussion forum on Glocks (just be warned that some of the guys there are full of themselves).

Other than that, enjoy your new Glock!!

By the way, the G22 is my carry gun as well. GREAT gun.
You just felt something pulling you to DTR didn't you.

Glock, Glooooock, Glooooooooock!

I found a book by that name, but by Ptooma Productions, is this the same one?

phox
Old 03-11-2007, 05:57 PM

Thanks Phox,
Weapons are a great thing, lets work TOGETHER and be safe. I've had a few instructors in my days and never afraid of learning from someone new. I welcome any and all criticism. As long as the "good guys" come home safe, I'm good to go.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:42 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by txfiremedic
My conceal gun is the Glock 27 Limited Edition subcompact .40 cal. Very small and easy to conceal.
What exactly does "Limited Edition" mean? I'm pretty familiar with Glocks and I don't recall Glock ever releasing any "limited editions". What makes it limited?
Old 03-11-2007, 07:45 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
Kurt Eric, good point.

phox
Indeed. I used to put the plugs in my Glocks until I took my first combat handgun class and the instructor showed me why it was better to leave it open.
Old 03-11-2007, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
I found a book by that name, but by Ptooma Productions, is this the same one?

phox
I believe so.

Old 03-11-2007, 08:00 PM

The limited edition has a polished slide with a gold 27 limited edition badge. I'll try and post pix of it tomorrow. Im at the station tonight.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:29 PM

I hate to break it to you, but I'm pretty sure that it didn't come from Glock that way. My guess is that's an aftermarket job. To the best of my knowledge Glock has NEVER released any "limited edition" handguns.

Do post a picture though. I'd love to see it!!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:45 PM

Nope its from Glock that way. I bought it brand new. I'll post pics tomorrow.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:49 PM

I have no doubt that you bought it new, but serious doubts that it came from Glock that way. I mean no offense by that, but Glock has never released a "limited edition" (I say that primarily because I've been an active member at GlockTalk for 7 years and I'm pretty sure I would have heard of it if they had one). I suspect the gun shop had it customized before they sold it to you (not that it isn't cool though).

Just to give you the benefit of the doubt though (and to make sure I'm not just running my mouth), I started a thread over on GlockTalk to see if the "professionals" have ever heard of such a thing.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:58 PM

Glad you are doing the research!
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM

Well, at least Jack has good taste in firearms

Phox, get yourself a Springfield XD and hopefully you will be able to hock that Glock on a good 1911
Old 03-11-2007, 09:59 PM
Administrator

Odd question.

Inside the box, which was still sealed by the way, there is a little sealed manilla envelope with two shell casings in it, and a stamp with the serial number and "tester" signature.
Obviously, it's no longer sealed since I opened it up to see what was in there.

Why?

I was thinking this was part of a law about some federal database required after XX date, containing a test fired bullet and shell casing from all handguns sold in the U.S.

Shouldn't the gun store have taken that envelope and mailed it to whatever agency runs this database?
Is it my responsibility?

Or is it just a quality control thing for my ease of mind?

It's been a while since I bought a firearm, and the last one was at a gun show.

phox
Old 03-11-2007, 10:02 PM

Some states (California for instance) require that shell casings and bullets fired from the gun be turned over to used as a ballistic fingerprint in that state. If you're lucky enough (or smart enough) NOT to live in one of those states then they send them to you instead.

At least that's what I've been told.

Quick Reply: Got a Glock