Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Got a call from some lawyer yesterday...

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 11:32 PM

Received 32 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MCummings
That's funny right there.

I could imagine a lawyer asking the question now,, "And Sir, Were you aware that you were recording at that time?" LOL

Merrick

Don't be laughing too loud....
Here are a couple of products that passivly record every conversation from your business phone to your computer or a central computer. so it is in fact possible to not be aware you were recording your own conversation.

http://www.algosolutions.com/product...top/index.html
http://www.algosolutions.com/product...ser/index.html
Old 09-22-2006, 12:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
So what ever wound up happening with this? I acutally had something somewhat similar (lawyer calling from another state over money I didn't owe) happen to me. I got my lawyer involved, turns out he was some out of state shyster. My guy sent him a nastygram asking how it was that he was attempting to practice law in Iowa without being admitted there, so on and so forth. They came around with their hat in their hands after that. Wound up not costing me anything.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:54 PM

Well, I'm not sure how much you know of my situation, but the bank in question ended up paying the guy like 90% of what he says I owe him. They diddn't even tell me. Diddn't even ask me anything it just happened out of nowhere. He still think I owe him $130 or so. I'm gonna find a lawyer if I have time. What did you do to get one and what type of lawyer? These guys suck big time.
Old 09-22-2006, 01:06 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Just an observation on my part, but a Lawyer might cost more than the $130.00 it would take to put this behind you forever. Still a phone call to one might be in order
Old 09-22-2006, 01:53 PM

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Just an observation on my part, but a Lawyer might cost more than the $130.00 it would take to put this behind you forever. Still a phone call to one might be in order
That's why I've put it off. I've been told I need to sue this guy and the bank for all of the MANY problems this has caused me. He violated the Fair Debt Collections act more than 50 times, but the statute of limitations will come into affect before this guy gets my money. Only a few months to go.
Old 09-22-2006, 02:18 PM

Originally Posted by PanteraGSTK
He still think I owe him $130 or so. I'm gonna find a lawyer if I have time. What did you do to get one and what type of lawyer? These guys suck big time.
The lawyer I used is kind one of the small town, do a little bit of everything ones. Generally a letter from one of them will run $100 or so.
Old 09-22-2006, 10:42 PM

I would'nt rely on that statute of limitations thing too much. If it hits your credit record it is on there for a loooong time, and will cause you many headaches. I had to put off buying my first house for over a year getting junk like that off my record and getting payoff letters from everyone involved. It is much easyier to pay the 130$ and be done with it. Give the guy a call and check, the bank proably made a deal with him to clear it with a partial payment. But make sure and get somthing in writing that states the matter has been cleared up. A little time now will save you more headaches later on.
Old 09-23-2006, 12:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I recently had an ordeal simaler to this with a previous internet provider. Real LONG story short I dident pay a dime of it. We had our long distance and internet threw 2 providers but on one bill. We wanted to cancel the internet for a while because we never used it. Our long distance provider had a deal running one time to sign up for internet threw them and get both bills as one and get a discount on the internet. The internet was suplied buy a large nation wide suplier and then billed threw the phone service. When we called the phone companie to disconect the internet they told us we had to call the IP directly. So we did and had it disconected. End of story or so we thought. Well abought 3 or 4 months latter we got a bill from them claiming we owed for the last several months of service and a reconect fee and all kinds of other garbage. I called them and told them to shov it wher the sun dont shine and left it at that. A good 6 months latter they called me and wanted there money. I told them the same thing again. I had no service and I had called to cancel it fair and square. A year or 2 go buy and it seemed to be dropped. Then I start getting messages from a law office on the east coast wanting me to return there call during buisness hours. I work 6 am to 5 pm so I never got around to calling them for a good 6 months till they realy got persistant and started calling a few times a week. When I did and found out what it was for i told them they just bought a fraudulant debt and where never going to see a pennie out of me. I told them to never call me again and go away. Well they dident and after several more conversaitions with them they finaly told me that i had to get it cleared up with the original IP. So I start calling them and after abought 5-10 calls and a few hours on the phone I find out that there where 2 accounts created and that the second acound was not canceled for 3 months after I called so they wanted me to pay for the second acount that was not even a servisable account(in other words I did not have internet service just a billing acount). I abought went off (well acutaly i did). All of this crap drug out for over 2 years because some idiout wanted me to pay for sevice on an account that was basicaly a dummie account for billing perposes. I finaly got them to drop the hole thing after I made them sit down and think abought how retarded that was. Havent heard anything from them sence. I figure I spent a couple hours on the phone and had to yell and retell the story 5 times but I got it straightened out. One thing I learned is to just skip the idiout on the phone originaly and ask for there suporvisor, and then there suporvisor or boss.
Dont give in. Its your money not theres and if you give it to them they win.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:11 AM

Originally Posted by bkrukow
One thing I learned is to just skip the idiout on the phone originaly and ask for there suporvisor, and then there suporvisor or boss.
Good advice there.
Old 09-24-2006, 07:16 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
When you think it's all behind you, and they've stopped calling you for money,
Check your Credit Report.........be sure it's not still there affecting your credit rating.
Old 09-25-2006, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
When you think it's all behind you, and they've stopped calling you for money,
Check your Credit Report.........be sure it's not still there affecting your credit rating.
Did that. It is on my report with one agency and they have it being investigated. Other agencies have taken it off completely. My girlfirend's mom works for a law firm and I'm going to get her to get a letter for me. As stated before, this debt is fraudlulent and I WILL NOT pay him. He's not a lawyer so all he can do is call me. Credit agencies know about it. The the currency comptroller knows, the bank knows. It seems nobody told him...I just don't understand why the bank,after over 2 years, would pay 90% of it off even though they NEVER would work with me before and try to get anything they can out of me.