Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Gas Thieves

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2008, 06:04 PM
Chapter President

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Three things:

#1 Bought my first diesel for +$4 today. $4.029 WITH the $.03 discount at Wal Mart in McKinney, Texas today.

#2 I know it's just a deterrent, but the locking gas cap goes back on the truck today.

#3 If someone needed gas to get to work so they can feed their kids, just ask me for $20 and they'd get it. Don't steal from me to feed your drug habit!
Old 06-05-2008, 04:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I've seen where they just cut the filler hose from the filler nozzle to the tank. Personally, if they're that motivated to steal the fuel they can have it right out of the top. Well worth me not having to replace the tank or that filler hose. My tank rarely has more than 100 bucks in it and my time lost from work to replace a fuel tank or filler hose isn't cheap. just my .02, but something to keep in mind.

Locks are only in place to keep honest people honest. If they want the fuel, they're going to get it...
Old 06-05-2008, 04:47 PM

Received 8 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally Posted by novium
Locks are only in place to keep honest people honest. If they want the fuel, they're going to get it...
In general I agree with you. However, a colleague had his truck nearly drained of gas at the boat trailer parking area. Had he had a locking cap, the thieves would've likely gone on to the next vehicle. He's got one now, as do I. Although, I'd have to laugh if they pulled up next to me, did a pump transfer from my tank to theirs, or to their boat for that matter, then drove or floated off with a load of diesel on board thinking they'd gotten gas. That would be almost worth the price of admission.
Old 06-15-2008, 07:35 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by novium
I've seen where they just cut the filler hose from the filler nozzle to the tank.
Happened to me last week.

Went to fill up on Wednesday on the way home from work,
dumped my 1/3 bottle of Powerservice in there and heard it hitting the ground and splashing all over my shoes.
Looked at the hose and there was a perfect slice all the way around.

Was nearing empty so I did a redneck repair on the hose, yup, duct tape.
Worked good enough for $100 of Diesel.

Hit the Dealership on Thursday and picked up the $40 hose and when I went to take off the old one the duct tape fell off in my hands, Diesel had turned the adhesive to a creamy white goo.

Inspected the old hose to see if it could have been just rotted, nope, clearly a clean slice.

I do have a locking gas cap, so at least it slowed them down.

phox
Old 06-15-2008, 09:35 PM

had a guy sitting at the pump asking everyone for money for some gas.. I started pumping and he kept bugging me and bugging me.. I kept telling him that I didn't have cash and I used a credit card.. He said just let me pump some in the car before you finish.. well I know the pump stops at $50.00 (that is another issue all together) so when it hit $45.00 I asked are you sure you want to pump thelast $5.00 in you tank... he was sure so I handed him the nozzel and watched.. when it was all done and I was driving off I said.. wow I didn't know those cars came in diesel.. he looked at me funny and I told him he just pumped diesel in as I drove off....
Old 06-16-2008, 06:16 AM

That's cold
Old 06-16-2008, 09:05 AM
I watch wind blow...

Originally Posted by gerry
had a guy sitting at the pump asking everyone for money for some gas.. I started pumping and he kept bugging me and bugging me.. I kept telling him that I didn't have cash and I used a credit card.. He said just let me pump some in the car before you finish.. well I know the pump stops at $50.00 (that is another issue all together) so when it hit $45.00 I asked are you sure you want to pump thelast $5.00 in you tank... he was sure so I handed him the nozzel and watched.. when it was all done and I was driving off I said.. wow I didn't know those cars came in diesel.. he looked at me funny and I told him he just pumped diesel in as I drove off....

that is terrible, slightly funny but terrible.....

but i would feel better about giving $5 in fuel than to give $5 cash, even if it is the wrong fuel..