Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

First one in the family to gradumacate...

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First one in the family to gradumacate...

So I graduated from college today, feels pretty weird. I come from a long line of farmers on my dad's side (the country folk) and factory and dockworkers on my mom's side. When I was a kid they told me to be the first one to make money with my head instead of my back and I guess it stuck. Hopefully I'll be able to afford a Cummins soon!
Old 05-21-2006, 06:20 PM

Congratulations, so where did you get your edumacation at?
Old 05-21-2006, 07:55 PM

Thumbs up

Congrats. You have made it this far, and the only thing I can tell you is DON'T LET A FEMALE MESS YOU UP in your future plans. I just wish other younger people would do like you and get an education instead of whining and saying I can't find a job. You should do just fine and I am sure there are a bunch more that will agree. Have a HAPPY GRADUATION.

Mike
Old 05-21-2006, 08:36 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by mraynor
Congrats. You have made it this far, and the only thing I can tell you is DON'T LET A FEMALE MESS YOU UP in your future plans. I just wish other younger people would do like you and get an education instead of whining and saying I can't find a job. You should do just fine and I am sure there are a bunch more that will agree. Have a HAPPY GRADUATION.

Mike
Cool, but

i have an education and cannot find a job... SO..... hehehehehe I have no girlfriend either, I am however on the way to a customs and Border protection carreer, With a biology degree, chemistry minor.. I got a 94 in the border patrol test, funny aint it? How many people actualy utilize their degrees? I got turned down for a job last week that would use my degree, they told me i was too qualified.. But oh well, for every door that closes one more opens..

Best of luck man!

Rick
Old 05-21-2006, 09:05 PM

I am married (and the first one really screwed up plans I have a good one now that encourages further ed.) but, you are right about getting a job in the field you got your degree. I went to be an architect, but now I am a communications tech for a nationwide company. My father graduated from NY State with a PHD in veterinary science after 8 years and he ended up doing what I am except he was the super. for the whole state running about 20 techs. when he passed. But like you said it doesn't matter what the degree is in, it is just a matter of having one. I hope the very best for both of you.
Originally Posted by TxDiesel007
Cool, but

i have an education and cannot find a job... SO..... hehehehehe I have no girlfriend either, I am however on the way to a customs and Border protection carreer, With a biology degree, chemistry minor.. I got a 94 in the border patrol test, funny aint it? How many people actualy utilize their degrees? I got turned down for a job last week that would use my degree, they told me i was too qualified.. But oh well, for every door that closes one more opens..

Best of luck man!

Rick
Old 05-22-2006, 08:01 AM

Congratulations on graduating!!!

The degree gets your foot in the door, what happens after that is up to you.

I finally graduated back in December at age 40. Was on the lifetime plan, going back to school every couple of years, then getting sidetracked and not going for a while. Took getting married and my manager saying he would work with me to be able to take classes to get me back on campus. Took five and a half years to finish at one or two classes a semester. Now I have a degree in Industrial Engineering and work as a Calibration Lab Supervisor and Test Equipment Development Engineer - not exactly a perfect match for the degree but the job came first (and pays the bills).

A degree is only what you make of it. Very few people I know are employed doing exactly what they went to school for. You adapt to the job or adapt the job to you.

Good luck.