Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

First Aid kits

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-2012, 08:32 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Aid kits

the 'quach got me to thinking. My first aid kit consists of what I have raided out of the cabinet at work and about the only time it gets looked at is when I need something out of it. usually bandaid or a headache pill.
My skill are basic first aid offered at various times over the years at work and basic first aid in college (about 15 years ago).

My question is what is really needed in a kit. I would like to stay as small as possible as it usually rides in my laptop bag. Im shooting for a personal kit, to take care of the little bumps and bangs that happen in life (like a gear oil induced chemical burn) . Im not looking to treat for long term on the run, Im wanting to cover myself for a day or so when my current location can only be narrowed down to third planet from the star known as the Sun.

Current pack is a couple bandaids of various sizes and designs. a couple of the larger pads, and a few packs of ibuprophen, burn jel, itch gel, antihystimene (benedryl), a couple pairs of nitrile gloves, and that stuff.
Old 08-04-2012, 11:50 AM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Maxi pads make great blood soaker uppers and compresses. We all carried them on the Ski Patrol!!

What you have listed is probably good for a personal bag. Keep bottled water for an eye flush, IIRC a company makes a cap for them with the eye cup. Also and ace bandage and a smack pac cold compress may come in handy. One or two small bottles of Crown?
Old 08-04-2012, 12:04 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
Maxi pads make great blood soaker uppers and compresses. We all carried them on the Ski Patrol!!

What you have listed is probably good for a personal bag. Keep bottled water for an eye flush, IIRC a company makes a cap for them with the eye cup. Also and ace bandage and a smack pac cold compress may come in handy. One or two small bottles of Crown?
Great suggestions! One word about the chemical cold packs; store them and use them in a plastic Zip-Lok bag. We've had them leak even while stored in our kits and they make a mess of everything. Sometimes they will leak after being activated as well and will give the patient a slight but aggravating chemical burn. Both scenarios are avoidable with the bag tho.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:46 PM

After lasik a few years back, I got in the habit of carrying a 1/2 ounce bottle of eye drops everywhere.
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I never think about eye flush stuff until I need it.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by Bark
have lasik done. your eyes will be dry for the first six months or so.
Old 08-05-2012, 06:12 PM

Received 1,637 Likes on 1,112 Posts
Originally Posted by Bark
That's why I keep a 6 pack of beer in my truck at all times. Never know when you might get some debris in your eye while driving. When you get pulled over, you can just tell the cop.....

"It's ok, officer.... I just had some dust fly into my eyes, so I was washing them out with this beer.... Works really good, as you should try it sometime... "

Old 08-08-2012, 07:27 AM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
To add to your list:

bottle of Bayer baby or cardiac aspirin, 83mg dose.

3x3 or 4x4 bandages

3" rolls of wrap

2" roll of tape

Couple of cravats

3' of small diameter rope

pen and paper

All are small enough to place in a laptop bag.
Old 08-08-2012, 08:33 AM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The above suggestions are good ones, I'll add the need for antiseptic of some kind plus antibiotic like neosporin or 3 way. They can be had in little single use packaging that is small, thin and light... perfect for your need.

It becomes difficult to keep a good first aid kit "basic" and small.

I started with an Air Force IFAK and added a few things to that as I saw fit... but then again, it is a little overkill.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:03 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
One thing we tell the participants in our classes; It's good to HAVE things like aspirin, antiseptics, burn ointments and sprays and the like in your kits for YOUR use, but do not apply these things to other people. If THEY can apply them or use them themselves, fine. But people are becoming more and more allergic to the most benign things that if it's not water, do not administer it to them. You could be held liable if you use something on someone and they have a lethal reaction to it.
Old 08-08-2012, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Hvytrkmech
To add to your list:

bottle of Bayer baby or cardiac aspirin, 83mg dose.

3x3 or 4x4 bandages

3" rolls of wrap

2" roll of tape

Couple of cravats

3' of small diameter rope

pen and paper

All are small enough to place in a laptop bag.
pen and paper are a given anywhere I go... I dont leave home without my tally book.
I hadn't thought about low dose aspirin.
I have some 3x3 gauze pads,
I have a roll of black tape in my backpack, does that count?
Originally Posted by chaikwa
One thing we tell the participants in our classes; It's good to HAVE things like aspirin, antiseptics, burn ointments and sprays and the like in your kits for YOUR use, but do not apply these things to other people. If THEY can apply them or use them themselves, fine. But people are becoming more and more allergic to the most benign things that if it's not water, do not administer it to them. You could be held liable if you use something on someone and they have a lethal reaction to it.
This is my kit. My kit is to cover my basic needs and to know where the basics are located without have to search the base for a bandaid or worse, find a 24 hour market for an advil in Dubai at 2 am.
Ill share, but only if asked nicely and I don't feel its going to leave me running short for the rest of my tour. Your not getting my last pack unless Im leaving that day or the next day.
Old 08-08-2012, 10:06 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Black tape is not really suitable. Medical tape sticks well and works in conjunction with gauze rolls.