Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

On vacation and need help with girlfriends 07 charger

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2012, 11:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
On vacation and need help with girlfriends 06 charger

Me and my girlfriend are down at the beach for the week and on our way to dinner tonight while stopped at a red light I noticed her car started to run rough. (almost as if it had a dead cylinder, NO CEL at this time) By the time I shut the radio off and closed the windows the CEL came on and was flashing. Light turned green and when I hit the throttle it didn't hesitate or anything it just cleared up and drove normally. After about another 30/45 seconds the CEL turned off and the car has ran fine ever since. (Have maybe driven it 15 min since this incident)

In her car you can check for DTC the same way as you would in the trucks. I did so and I got nothin', would there still be a code stored in the ECU that an obd reader will be able to pick up? We live a little over 3 hrs from here with minimal traffic (took 5hrs to get here) so I would like to get this addressed before the trip home this sat.

Thanks in advance..
Old 08-07-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
to many things are possible , but if the cel came on it should have a code set
Old 08-08-2012, 12:25 AM

I understand that, what baffles me is how it came and went so quickly... I searched around and found a list of all recalls and TSB for this car and there are a few that would fit the issue we are having but I guess I wont know until I have the codes pulled. Looks like I am taking a drive tom to find a shop to pull the codes for me. Hopefully this is something that can wait until we get home before repairs are needed. (There are other vehicles she can use to avoid damaging this one)

Upon talking to my girlfriend tonight, she NOW tells me about other issues shes had with the car on different occasions. (trans not shifting, car not going when hitting the go pedal and other things like that) I am hoping I wont regret taking her car down here and not my truck....
Old 08-08-2012, 07:12 AM
Just a plain ole guy

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
Drop into an auto parts store nearby and get them to read codes. They usually do it for free.
Old 08-08-2012, 07:48 AM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Originally Posted by trksrfun
I am hoping I wont regret taking her car down here and not my truck....
You will.
Old 08-08-2012, 11:29 AM

i dont suppose a quick search under the hood turned up any loose wires, shorts, or fuzzy sensors? could it be something as stupid as a loose gas cap?
Old 08-08-2012, 05:59 PM

Yeah I was planning on hittin' an auto parts store today but didn't have time so tomm. AM that's where i'm off to. (found one about 8 miles away)

I didn't look under the hood but I will go do that here shortly and hopefully I find something.

A loose gas cap in her car will trigger a CEL but I cant see how that would cause the sudden rough idle/miss... Its anyone's guess though.

Hopefully its something stupid/easy to fix because I don't have any tools down here and I don't like paying a shop to do something I can.

Thanks for the replies...
Old 08-08-2012, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
might of just been a glitch seen coils do that then run perfect again with all the electronics in there it could of just had a brain fart
Old 08-08-2012, 10:11 PM

Depending on where you are located there is a great dodge dealer in millville nj called lilliston dodge. They are pretty good and honest there. If you are near me and I can be of any assistance send me a pm I am in Mays Landing nj.
Old 08-10-2012, 01:49 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heh we took DHs Charge on vacation instead of my truck, I regretted it. My back hurt for a week for sitting those terrible seats for 15hrs each way.

No idea what could be wrong with it Is it stock? How's the maintenance on it, recent? If it were us, we'd probably read the codes, keep and eye on it, check and touch everything under the hood to make sure it is not an obvious small problem with connections and just drive it and not worry until you get home.

Did you go through any big altitude changes? Sometimes a cylinder misfire will trigger the cel and set a code. Had that happen on our Tahoe we took from Seattle to Reno.
Old 08-11-2012, 06:24 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
which beach are you at?

the east coast Dodge clubs are meeting at Myrtle Beach today, have a buddy there with a 07, he's sharp on them

we were in Myrtle Beach last nite. Pm if you can't work it out and need help.
Old 08-11-2012, 11:33 PM

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Were you able to get the problem fixed our did it go away?

It is possible there could be a problem with the mass air flow sensor. My brothers escalade was having similar issues you described. The MAF sensor is a wide band sensor. When my brother would get up to around 45+mph, the CEL would come on then would go off below it. He replaced it with a reman one from auto zone, worked fine initially, except the problem came back at different speeds, took it to the dealer, they said that sensor was bad, put in a new one and all the problems went away.

It could be that your sensor is failing at idle (computer not receiving any info) then once you give it gas, the computer no longer detects a problem and the cel goes away.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2