Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Fatal Crash - Need Black Box Info

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2011, 07:59 PM
DTR Founder

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
Fatal Crash - Need Black Box Info

Guys,

I can't go into detail but I am in the process of investigating a fatal crash. For one of the vehicles involved, we don't have the appropriate equipment to read the computer information that's available before the crash. I can only say it's a 2008 Toyota Avalon.

Will the dealer have the capability of doing this? Is there any other way to get this information from the vehicle beside the dealer? We do have a special unit that can read information from vehicles, but not this model and year.

I'm just curious what my options are here. I figured someone on DTR is an expert in this and would know. Even if you don't know, but may know someone who does, please pass this on to them.

PS - The only thing I've seen so far is a system from Vetronix Corporation's Crash Data Retrieval System... Is this the only way?
Old 01-17-2011, 08:05 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The dealer should. but after waht I heard from the toyota brake issue, toyota has been real tight lipped on their black boxes and the data logged and the data retrievable by just anyone.
Old 01-17-2011, 08:09 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Not sure if this will help Jack but I found this link. Pretty interesting read about the Avalon Box

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/201...s-black-boxes/
Old 01-17-2011, 08:10 PM
DTR Founder

Thanks for the info. guys. Maybe that's why we don't have it for this Toyota. I was doing some research and found an EDR reader for 4100 bucks. Ummm, I won't be buying that!
Old 01-17-2011, 09:18 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
the dealer will be able to do this. if law enforcement shows up and asks to pull info off the box, they should not give you any gripe.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:22 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by cbrahs
the dealer will be able to do this. if law enforcement shows up and asks to pull info off the box, they should not give you any gripe.
and if they do it will give you a reason to have the GM summoned to explain it to a judge.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Jack, I work with the Mass State police accident reconstruction and investigation units. I have had extensive experience working with Troopers at our facility in the access and removal of crash box's.

If you want I will pm you my cell#. I won't discuss here on an open forum.

Let me know if I can be of service.
Old 01-17-2011, 09:28 PM
Chapter President

Location: misplaced Idahoan stuck in Albuquerque, Roughneckin on RIG 270
Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
and if they do it will give you a reason to have the GM summoned to explain it to a judge.
exactly. there is not a GM out there that would want that bad press not helping law enforcement with this crash to see if it were component failure or driver just having head in rear syndrome
Old 01-17-2011, 09:30 PM
Administrator ........ DTR's puttin fires out and workin on big trucks admin

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrahs

Actually Chris dealers can not access this info, only authorized agencies can get the software to access it. This is to preserve the chain of evidence.

Respectfully.
Old 01-18-2011, 01:43 AM
DTR Mom

yup, beat me to the punch. Got to limit your facts to closed source origin. clear, uncontroverted evidence. If needed, they can bring the device to the lab for a reading, in a controlled environment.

Jack, might it help to have the corporate regional tech manager's number for all the car manufacturers if you routinely do the ACUs...great legwork saving for TMs, bullentins, nuances with a model, ect....
your DA should let you know the level of required evidence or 'fact findings'.

just great resources/parameters. 'nicer' to have them testify instead of you repeating their data. but direct testimony will depend on your agency and the DA.
carry on, wayward son!
Old 01-18-2011, 09:03 AM

The Japanese auto makers are very tight lipped about their source code. You never see any flash devices for Japanese made vehicles and this is the reason. US auto makers have their stuff pirated right out of the doors the minute it's made and for good reason. The aftermarket on cars like the Mustangs and Camaros are popular for this very reason. You can modify them and while the auto makers openly frown upon it they rely on it too.

BTW, that Avalon is really a Lexus with the Toyota emblem on it.
Old 01-18-2011, 08:20 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
I wonder if NICB could give you any help?
Old 01-19-2011, 01:42 PM
DTR Founder

I'm not sure how we're going to do this yet. My supervisor is working on some contacts of hers right now. I'm hoping we'll have some luck that way. I just don't understand why we have it for so many brands and models, but not for this model. makes no sense to me.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:27 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Still proprietary stuff. At some point maybe there will be some mandated standard interface.