Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Engines/motors of the future.

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2005, 06:01 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb Engines/motors of the future.

I remember seeing a link someone posted that had a very cool engine that I believe was camless and seemed to be a step in the right direction for future designs. If I recall correctly, it had some kind of valves that rotate. I know they where having problems getting it to run correctly but hopefully the kinks will be worked out. I have tried to do a search and find the link, but came up short. So if anybody knows what it is could you please post.

What other new technology does the future hold for us as automobile lovers?
Please post links to any new and innovative designs/products that you have come across.
Old 03-25-2005, 07:58 PM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
There is a "camless" as such, design here

http://www.coatesengine.com/technology.html

This is the spherical rotary valve design. I first heard about it in the late 80's early 90's. Excellent idea, drastically reduces carbon buildup in the oil, lets the engine run cooler, the list goes on.

I have not heard much about them in the last 5 years or so, but it is viable technology. Hopefully they really push it. I know the $$$$$ figure was not all that low, but what the heck, make it work.
Old 03-25-2005, 08:24 PM
Banned

wow sweet idea, how well does it handle turbo's ????
Old 03-25-2005, 09:58 PM

todays camless engines still have the valves and what not. and are acutally in use by certain companies, im lookin for a link now, THey use hydro cylinders to control the valves. what this acomplishes for the engine is the same great performance diffrences you get with the diffrent cam proflies you use when you install an aftermarket cam. Only when your in town and what not it will make the "profiles" produce the faster power. and when you hit hte highway, it changes again for higher mpg. Great deal, But i will never want to work on one when it goes out haha
Old 03-26-2005, 10:19 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Both CAT and Detroit Diesel have had OTR truck engines with solenoid fired valvetrains in real world testing for about 5 years now. I have yet to hear any rumblings from cummins, but then they usually test something to death before they release any info. I do know that at last count, the Detroit units had somewhat close to a million miles of testing behind them. However, nobody is saying what a treat they are to work on.....

Perhaps one day, we will go to straight hydrogen powered vehicles. I am thinking it would be a good thing, as there will be no "bad" mechanics..... just dead ones.

Yeah, that was a little off topic
Old 03-26-2005, 10:49 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Wifey says she's waiting for a mass produced Methane-powered truck.
Says she'll make millions off of me by selling "fuel".

I haven't got the foggyest idea what she's talking about.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Banned

F1 Racing has been using camless engines for a while now. Pretty slick actually. An infinately adjustable valvetrain that can be messed with while driving.
Old 03-26-2005, 04:29 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Coates International
Where the CSRV really shines is in its airflow potential compared to a poppet valve Bench-marking a 5.0 L engine from a Lincoln, the stock Ford casting (when tested at 28 inches of H2O) flowed approximately 180 cfm on the intake port at static. The rotary valve for the engine in comparison flowed a whopping 319-cfm at the same test pressure. Equipped with the poppet valve head, the Lincoln engine dynoed at 260 hp and 249 lb.-ft of torque. When equipped with the CSRV head at the same 5,500 rpm test protocol, it made 475 hp and 454 lb.-ft of torque, with no changes to the block or rotating assembly: The higher power was a result of diminished frictional and pumping losses, but the inherent airflow benefit of the spherical valve was the major contributor. With a conventional poppet valve, it can take 34 degrees of crankshaft rotation or more to reach a fully open position, wasting energy and limiting volumetric efficiency. With the CSRV, a comparable port area is exposed in only 2 degrees of crank rotation. The CSRV allows for superior surface flow coefficients from its spherical shape. With the standard 4-inch Ford bore, the factory poppet valve covers only 15.8 percent of the total bore area, while the rotary valve is measured at 20.5 percent.

To date, Coates offers complete engines based on a block of your choice for racing, street/strip, and industrial applications. The pricing starts at $ 15,000, and by the time you read this, retrofit kits should be available for the popular Ford and Chevy V-8. So far, Detroit has shown the least interest in further developing the CSRV technology, and disappointingly, Coates feels that the first engines to use this will most likely be from foreign companies.
Hmm. Very interesting.
Old 03-26-2005, 11:20 PM

That Coates setup looks awesome. I just checked out their website. Very interesting idea. I saw a ticker on their site that states they are constructing and test a new 855 cubic inch diesel engine with the CSRV. I can't believe that one of the major manufacturers haven't looked at it.