Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

E-Mail Scams

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:31 AM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
BEWARE!! E-mail Scam

I recieved an e-mail today that APPEARED to be from Washington Mutual (my bank). Below is what it said:

Dear Washington Mutual Bank customer,

We regret to inform you, that we had to lock your Online Access
User ID because we have reasons to believe that your
account may have been compromised by outside parties.

In order to protect your sensitive information, we temporarily
suspended your account for further investigations.

To reactivate your account, click on the link below and confirm
your identity by completing the secure form that will appear:

Link removed by Hoss

Take our apologies for any inconvenience that this may cause.

Thank you,
Washington Mutual Bank Internet Banking.
If you receive ANY type of e-mail like this do NOT follow the link. It will take you to a spoof web page and you will be asked to log in. After you log in it will begin asking for social security numbers, mother's maiden names, credit card numbers, credit card expiration dates and PIN numbers, etc.

These are scams and lots of people are getting their credit card numbers (or identities) stolen every day because they fall for it.

Below is some information provided on the WAMU website regarding these types of scams. It would be good for everyone to read.

E-mail Scams: Phishing
What is phishing?
All Internet users should be aware of the online scam known as "phishing" (pronounced "fishing"). Phishing involves the use of e-mail messages that appear to come from your bank or another trusted business, but are actually from imposters.

Phishing e-mails typically ask you to click a link to visit a Web site, where you're asked to enter or confirm personal financial information such as your account numbers, passwords, Social Security number or other data. Although these Web sites may appear legitimate, they are not. Thieves can collect whatever data you enter and use it to access your personal accounts.

How can I spot a phishing scam?
Look for these warning signs:

Language and tone. The message you receive may urge you to act quickly by suggesting that your account is threatened. It may say that if you fail to update, verify or confirm your personal or account information, access to your accounts will be suspended. The wording may also be sloppy and contain misspellings.

Requests for personal information. Scam e-mails typically ask for personal or account information such as:
- Account numbers
- Credit and check card numbers
- Social Security numbers
- Online banking user IDs and passwords
- Mother's maiden name
- Date of birth
- Other confidential information

Non-secure Web pages. Clever thieves can build a fake Web site that looks nearly identical to an authentic one. They can even alter the URL (the Web address) that appears in your browser window. Watch out for non-secure Web pages that ask for sensitive information (secure sites will typically display a lock in the status bar at the bottom of your browser window).

How can I decrease my risk of being a phishing victim?
Here are some safety tips:

Be suspicious of demanding messages. Messages threatening to terminate or suspend your account without your quick response should be treated as suspicious. A legitimate bank or business should not request personal information from you over an unsecured Web site. When in doubt, call the business' customer service number (available on your account statement) to confirm the status of your account. Do not use telephone numbers found on the suspected Web site.

Always type in the URL of the Web page you need. Phishing scams rely on embedded links that take you to fake Web sites. It's safer to type your bank's Web address directly into your browser so you know you're visiting the legitimate site.

Protect your password. Don't write down sensitive personal information such as your password or Social Security number. Change your password frequently.

Keep your computer up-to-date. Washington Mutual recommends that you install anti-virus and firewall programs to help keep your computer safe. Learn more.

Report an online scam
If you receive suspicious e-mail that appears to come from Washington Mutual, please notify us immediately by forwarding the e-mail to spoof@wamu.com (do not open any attachments or click any links found in the suspicious e-mail).

You may also want to forward it to the Federal Trade Commission at spam@uce.gov, or contact them at www.consumer.gov/idtheft* or 877.IDTHEFT (877.438.4338).

If you believe you have provided personal or account information in response to a fraudulent e-mail or Web site, please contact Washington Mutual at 800.788.7000 and contact the other financial institutions with which you have accounts.

Learn more about phishing
To learn more about phishing, read the phishing brochure* provided by The Office of the Comptroller of the Currency (OCC). The OCC charters, regulates and supervises all national banks.

Recent phishing scams

Some customers have recently received e-mail messages stating that "there have been a large number of identity theft attempts targeting wamu.com customers." The e-mail requests that customers confirm their identity for personal online banking by clicking a link and logging onto their accounts.

Another recent fraudulent e-mail pretends to be a "Security Center Advisory" that informs customers their account "has been randomly selected for maintenance," and that they need to click a link to verify their identity.

Yet another fraudulent e-mail states that there is a pending charge (often a quite large one) to the customer's account, and in order to decline the transaction, the customer needs to click a button or a link in the e-mail.
All of these e-mail messages include links that appear to take customers to Washington Mutual's Web site—however, the Web pages they go to are not legitimate. They actually take customers to fake Web pages where the scammers collect personal and account information.
So....be aware. I got this e-mail today and was suspicious of it when I noticed that the web page it took me to was not a secure page.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:41 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Angry Too true

Thanks for the warning and reminder Hoss.

I had to laugh the other day because I received one somewhat similar but it was from a bank that I don't do business with. Stupid phishers!! Unfortunately, someone will probably get taken by that one as well.

I also saw one the other day at a hotel that I stayed at that warned that individuals not associated with the hotel had been calling hotels, asking for an occupied room at random and identifying themselves as being from the front desk and claiming that there was a problem with the room occupants credit card and that they needed to verify the card number and expiration date. They would then use that information to make purchases on the room occupants credit card.

Bottom line, NEVER give out that type of information to someone who contacts you. Always call the company back (not the number that the individual gives you but the main company number) or start at the companies web site and contact them from there.
Old 12-16-2004, 11:43 AM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Me too I always get some from banks I don't have accounts with. The best one ever though was some money laundering scheme from some foreign country i've gotten it about three times now .
Old 12-16-2004, 11:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I received this same email two weeks ago on a email account that I very rarely use so I knew it was a scam. I also use Washington Mutual.

MikeyB
Old 12-16-2004, 02:29 PM

I got a similar e-mail from "EBay". They said they had an issue with my account and needed to confirm information or they would cancel my account in 24 hours. I e-mailed EBay directly (not the address from the original e-mail) and EBay said SCAM!!! - DO NOT SEND ANY INFO!!

Can never be too careful with your personal information.
Old 12-16-2004, 02:34 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
So I guess this means I won't be receiving that 138 million from Nigeria?

Does the entire country of Nigeria even have 138 million?
Old 12-16-2004, 02:47 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
People or dollars??
Old 12-16-2004, 03:20 PM
Banned

Gee Larry, you missed a great chance to get rich, I got my only 45 mil last week.

I get about two a week. For a while I had fun writing back and forth with some yo-yo asking them for all kinds of proof, and telling themto go to the western union office for the "up front fee"
Old 12-16-2004, 03:28 PM

Glad my firewall & pop up blocker has been keeping that junk out of my in box. I got one last year & it was from the bank I do buisness with & thought it was fishey so I called the bank.
Old 12-16-2004, 09:49 PM

My wife and I are big time ebay'ers. We get these spoof messages all the time. We just change the header to "Full" and forward them to spoof at ebay.com. Wife got one just today that looked so good she forwarded it to me & asked if it was legit. Internet phishermen have gotten quite skilled at copying websites.