Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

dumb tales of how you hurt yourself

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2011, 11:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once knew a guy who was trying to hit somthing with a sledge hammer while rolled under a tractor, ended up dropping the entire hammer head on his face.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:50 PM

when i used prep concrete i did something pretty funny . . . the site was messy so the crew was gathering scrap and throwing it in a bin. i picked up a 1x4 which was far too long for the bin and decided to snap it. so i put one end on grond, held up the other with one hand and then stepped on it away from my hand trying to snap it in the middle. it took more force then i expected so i re-adjusted and tried again with more force. well, it broke, and nailed me square in the back of the head . . . i swaer it hit me so fast the sound of the 'snap' hadn't even disappeared. it hurt like heck even with a hard hat on, but i think it scared me more than anything.
Old 02-23-2011, 11:58 PM

when i was in high school oxi-clean was becoming a popular cleaning agent. so i used it to clean a pair of shoes one day. while the shoes were soaking i noticed it was 'fizzing' or 'bubbling' kinda' like alka-seltzer. so this made me want to experiment while the shoes were soaking. i wanted to mimic the alka-seltzer and water in a film capsule to watch the lid pop off. well, i had no film capsules available, so i searched for another 'container'. i searched for a bit in dad's workshop but found nothing suitable. then i came across an empty mickey bottle with a platic cap. i thought great, the plastic threads will probably give way under pressurem but i was wrong. i put a good amount of the oxi-clean powder in, and then added hot water, screwed the cap on and then watched. nothing - so i got close to see/listen and noticed it was leaking/hissing ever so slightly, so i tried tightening the cap and moved tot he bathroom sink in case i made a mess and set it on the counter. i then leaned in with my ear to listen again then then BOOM! i thought a shotgun went off in that bathroom. my ears were ringing so bad and i was dazed like crazy. you should have seen my parents run downstairs in a frenzy!!! after looking around in the bathroom and in the mirror, i found pieces/shards of glass stuck in my face, the drywall, and even into some books on the counter. all i can say is good thing i was listening and not 'looking'!!
Old 02-24-2011, 07:18 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The last nasty one I did was with a 1941 Stover KE hit and miss engine. It has a Wico EK magneto that is tripped by pulling the armature straight down. I was trying to figure out why it was only tripping the first time it was pulled down by the open linkage, ran by an open cam lobe which trips the magneto and also operates the exhaust valve.

Since most hit and miss engines only use vacuum to draw in a charge and use a very light spring to hold the intake valve closed, I was holding the intake valve open and spinning the flywheel so as to actually watch the magneto linkage operate at a decent speed.

During all this I was laying on the ground and watching the linkage and pulling the flywheel through as fast as I could. It was fun to hear everything going! During all the commotion I didn't pull my right hand away from the flywheel fast enough and caught two of my fingers between the inner ring of the flywheel and the rocker arm that is just under the flywheel. A cotter key holding the rocker arm cut through two of my fingernails and cleanly removed a strip of nail and meat right in the middle of the nail of my middle and 3rd fingers on my right hand.

It was a mess but I just kept it clean and everything actually grew back and looks like nothing happened. The only lasting thing is my fingertip on my middle finger is always numb.

BTW, all that was wrong was the return spring wasn't strong enough to reset the magneto. I stretched it out a bit and that part at least works.
Old 10-30-2012, 10:18 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
we need a bump so the new crop of DTR users can post thier stuff!

i worked on a Geo Metro here recently...that was embarassing enough!!
Old 11-01-2012, 08:27 AM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Not me but I hold the responsibility on this one.. CAUTION THIS ONE WILL MAKE YOU CRINGE

When I was around 12 years old, a buddy of mine were playing football in my backyard. After getting bored with that my buddy decided to see who could climb the highest up the flag pole we had in the middle of the yard. My buddy was the first to climb. He did pretty good and just about made it to the top when I decided to try and hit him with the old Nerf football. The first throw nailed him.. Unfortunately causing him to lose his grip and slide down the pole.......... all the way to the hooks (the ones you wrap the rope around to hold the flag in place). Needless to say he let go of the pole in shear pain only to be completely suspended by the hook in which was completely embedded into his man hood.. Poor guy had to lift his body weight completely off the hook in order to slide the rest of the way down.. Fortunately for him the doctors were able to save his *********. 30 something stitches later along with lots and lots of frozen peas, he made a full recovery. He still actually talks to me this day
Old 11-01-2012, 08:43 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
Not me but I hold the responsibility on this one.. CAUTION THIS ONE WILL MAKE YOU CRINGE

When I was around 12 years old, a buddy of mine were playing football in my backyard. After getting bored with that my buddy decided to see who could climb the highest up the flag pole we had in the middle of the yard. My buddy was the first to climb. He did pretty good and just about made it to the top when I decided to try and hit him with the old Nerf football. The first throw nailed him.. Unfortunately causing him to lose his grip and slide down the pole.......... all the way to the hooks (the ones you wrap the rope around to hold the flag in place). Needless to say he let go of the pole in shear pain only to be completely suspended by the hook in which was completely embedded into his man hood.. Poor guy had to lift his body weight completely off the hook in order to slide the rest of the way down.. Fortunately for him the doctors were able to save his *********. 30 something stitches later along with lots and lots of frozen peas, he made a full recovery. He still actually talks to me this day
I do reckon I read this on the first page Cincy.....but, nonetheless......cringing the second time around too.....If I was your friend I'd have pantsed you in front of a group of good looking girls. He must be a good friend!!! This friend wouldn't happen to be Blake would it?
Old 11-01-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by jhenson
I do reckon I read this on the first page Cincy.....but, nonetheless......cringing the second time around too.....If I was your friend I'd have pantsed you in front of a group of good looking girls. He must be a good friend!!! This friend wouldn't happen to be Blake would it?
If it was Blake, he would've slid down that pole without hitting anything

I'll be danged... I didn't remember me posting this the first time around..
Old 11-01-2012, 09:35 AM

I had a 1969 chevelle that i was putting really wide tires on so i had to bend in the rear fender lip to clear the tire well i was sitting on the ground with a 4 pound hammer in my hand banging away on the lip when i missed hit myself in the forehead right between my eyes knocked me out cold and blacked both eyes when i came to my mother was standing in the door laughing and wow did i ever have a headache after that.
Old 11-01-2012, 10:15 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
When I was about 10 years old I had to clean out the aquarium, it was about 3 foot wide 1.5 foot tall and 1.5 foot wide. It was laying on it side and I had was scooping the rocks and junk out of the aquarium. The problem was my knee was resting on the glass. I obviously put too much weight on the glass anf my knee went thru it and cut it wide open. I ended up with 100 or so stiches inside & out. I had to spend most of the summer with my leg straight to not pull stiches, everyone called me "peg leg Pete"

The funny part is it looks exactly like cincydiesels's avitar, the "T" the same spot, cincy must have been cleanind fish tanks too .
Old 11-01-2012, 11:04 AM
"How in the heck do I change the phrase in between my user name and avatar?"

Originally Posted by cincydiesel
If it was Blake, he would've slid down that pole without hitting anything
You need to be sure he sees this!!!!!! Payback for the thread he started "The Adventures Of Cincydiesel."
Old 11-02-2012, 02:34 PM

Originally Posted by jhenson
You need to be sure he sees this!!!!!! Payback for the thread he started "The Adventures Of Cincydiesel."
So he can thump me with the ban hammer again? He dont scare me none..