Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Dualsport shopping...

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2009, 10:35 AM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Dualsport shopping...

Bikes in my past: Honda CX500, Suzuki DR650, Buell Tunderbolt, and currently twin cam Harley RoadKing.

Lately I've been missing the ablility to explore dirt roads, and I've thought it might be fun to even go play on some of the more mellow trails when I take the 5th wheel to ATV riding areas...

Would also be used for commuting, but if I keep the RoadKing, I'd have that bike for big road trips.

It seems to me that both the XR650 and DR650 are more off-road capable, but neither carry enough fuel, and both have a pretty narrow, hard seat that I don't think would work for longer rides I'd want to do.

I've always liked the BMW Paris Dakar, especially back in the early 90's when they had the marlboro racing colors. The new Adventure with the big tank is nice, but I'd have to sell the HD and finance part of it. Plus, I think I'd be hesitant to take a $20k bike out in the rough.

That's got me thinking KLR650. 6 gal tank, with a bash plate, tank guards, and better tires it would probably do what I want... Plus I could pay cash, and keep the HD....

Any advice?
Old 06-07-2009, 11:12 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If these guys would ever release these for public sale............

basically a KLR with a diesel/muti-fuel capable engine .
Supposed to get upwards of 100 MPG.

www.dieselmotorcycle.com
Attached Thumbnails Dualsport shopping...-diesel-motorcycle.jpg  
Old 06-07-2009, 11:35 AM

Yeah, somewhere I saw a review of those (the military version).

In a nutshell they said it had good torque and was off-road capable to an extent, but power delivery was pretty flat and not fun to ride. Plus they've been saying they are going to do commercial sales...
Old 06-07-2009, 12:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Well, I've had many bikes from Honda NX 250's and up to XR 650's, but my favorite and their catching on like wild fire around where I live, is the KTM bikes!!! Thier light, easy to handle and just a blast to ride!!! A road legal 450 EXC would be right up your alley! Our project manager has a 2008 KLR 650 and when he rode mine and he just came back with a grin from ear to ear! He said his was fine for going around town, but the gearing was more for HWY use on his KLR and when he's off in the hills it was sluggish; he coundn't believe the power mine had and popped a lil wheelie... "He's 55 year old kid" Let me tell you, mines anything but sluggish, nice smooth power band and with 6 gears to choose from, you have anything you want, from low end grunt, to high end cruise gearing. I've had mine for a year and a half and love it everytime I ride it! You wanna flirt with death and ride I know the fastest dirt bike I've ever ridden, try a new KTM 505!! OMG!!! I've ridden CR 500's and YZ 490's, but the 505 4 stroke power is insane!!!! (Sorry, just had to share that)!!!
Old 06-07-2009, 01:26 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
Well, my take on the dualsports is- the KTM is really nice but not too reliable. (And this is from an Austrian!)
I really like the XR650R and the XR650L- The L is designed after the KISS principle, tough as nails and can be had cheap, aircooled and a bigger tank isn't expensive.
When you go exploring you will scratch and drop the bike a lot. Water cooling is good, but if you damage a radiator you won a hike....
And since you stated big tank, comfy seat and exploring- you won't need the crazy power... (but it's fun to have it)
My "exploring" bike is an old XR600R- gets me almost everywhere, and is reliable. Already dropped it approx 30 ft on hard ground, upside down, engine running. Said some choice words, picked her up and rode on. (The bike was damaged but rideable)
I could not do the fun stuff if the bike was expensive- I'd always be afraid of dropping it.

Just my2c across the pond..

AlpineRAM

PS- I sold my XL600R on ebay today.... It will be missed.... (Freaking economy over here..)
Old 06-07-2009, 04:49 PM

The Honda XR650R is water cooled too... I've had my KTM a year and a half and haven't had a lick of troube with it. There's a group of us that hammer them every Sunday we can to. I hear ya about the cost though, I'm always worried about crashing and what not, but the wipe outs I've have had, has never hurt the bike.
Old 06-07-2009, 05:52 PM

Received 263 Likes on 235 Posts
It's good to hear that your KTM is reliable. (The patriot in me loves to hear that).
I think it depends on riding style and also the financial means. I see a lot of the young ones over here who have leased or financed new KTMs, and do not enjoy riding for fear of diminishing resale value.
I've approx 10 k miles offroad on my old XR since I rebuilt it, I bought it for approx 400 US$ in non-running condition and bought parts for approx. 450 US$ and invested somewhere around 50-70 hours.
Even though I would hate to lose the bike, I would not have to file bankruptcy if it happened. I would hate to see the next interesting slope or ravine and be forced to keep away because I could not afford any damage....
A very good place to find infos on dualsports is www.advrider.com - the language on the board there is not PG something, nor PC, just a warning....

AlpineRAM
Old 06-07-2009, 07:37 PM

Along the lines of KTM, I did look at the Beta in 450 and 525 as the local dealer carries them. They are powered by KTM, and really trick, but I'd say they are probably intended for 5 or 10% pavement and 95% real dirt. Maybe too much of a real dirt bike for what I need (and, to be honest, it would be a waste to have someone with my modest dirt riding skills on something like that).

A buddy of mine at work has a XR650L. It's a tall beast, but yeah, the engine is stone axe simple. I may have to talk him out of a test ride.

The DR650 I had was from early 90's when they were kick start, so I like simple. Racked up a lot of miles on that thing.

The KLR seems to have better road miles, there's a lot of aftermarket stuff, and I've seen some with impressively high miles. Downsides to me would be that the mill is pretty tame.

If I got one, I'd for sure put the bash guard and radiator/tank nerf bars on it from the get-go.

http://www.happy-trail.com/ZoomImage...ctID=HTP4-1-5B

Somehow I've been gravitationally pulled to the Adventure.

http://www.mcnews.com.au/Wallpaper/B...ENTURE_RHS.jpg

I know hitting the dirt on a bike north of 20 grand makes absolutely no sense...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:50 AM

I have raced KTM's in the GNCC series ( 3 hour woods racing) for quite a while. In my opinion they are bombproof. That is why 75% of the bikes on the starting line are KTM's. They are a bit pricy but, like everything else, you get what you pay for...
Old 06-08-2009, 09:58 AM

i had a klr650 and it was a great bike. its a little big for serious off road but more than capable of dirt road exploration. it seems like everyone makes an gadget or accessory for them too. they are cheap and they hold plenty of fuel.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a klx650 that I put on the road, inverted forks, hotter motor and better suspension.... but if you want rock solid reliability, the xr650 with the liquid motor. Up here we call ktm's, kt kaboom. Not a good reputation and EXPENSIVE parts, but BIG power.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:28 AM

Back when they made a street legal KLX, I thought those were pretty slick.

Somehow I started thinking about 3k for used KLR, then got to reading reveiws about the 2nd gen's better brakes and suspension got me thinking about new KLR...

Dinking on the internet got me thinking for a few dollars more (ok, well twice the price) I could get a well used R1200GS Adventure.

Now I see a nearby dealer has several in stock with the premium option package...

I don't know how my brain worked its way from 3k-ish used KLR to 20+k 100+hp bike for dirt riding. Baby steps to get there, I guess.

Crunching numbers, I could have it paid for in less than a year, and still keep the Roadking... On the other hand, I could buy a new KLR outright and have money in the bank.

Still, that Adventure has me dreaming of blowing a month of vacation and loading up the camping gear for a trip to Alaska.

I know in this economy that would be drunk bat crazy but on the plus side it used to be you put a deposit down before hand and waited to pay full retail to get an Adventure.

Planning to ride to PDX with a couple buddies Saturday to hit Kaw dealer and BMW dealer.
Old 06-08-2009, 11:33 AM

Originally Posted by klx650a2
I had a klx650 that I put on the road, inverted forks, hotter motor and better suspension.... but if you want rock solid reliability, the xr650 with the liquid motor. Up here we call ktm's, kt kaboom. Not a good reputation and EXPENSIVE parts, but BIG power.

Well, If they can handle 3 hours of GNCC torture that is good enough for me.
These results are why I continue to ride KTM.

http://www.racer-results.net/results...2&c=77&s=5&r=7

http://www.racer-results.net/results...2&c=78&s=5&r=7
Old 06-09-2009, 08:31 PM

I bet those where 505's, in the races HUH!!! Man, I still can't get over how fast that bike is!!! The one I rode had a midusa or some clutch,"automatic" talk about wired, just twis the grip and lean forward so the thing wouldn't wheelie... To each is own, but everyone around here like them... Sorry don't know how else to post pics... http://viewmorepics.myspace.com/inde...ageID=32964827
Old 06-10-2009, 03:27 PM

Originally Posted by COUNTRYBOY
I bet those where 505's, in the races HUH!!! Man, I still can't get over how fast that bike is!!! The one I rode had a midusa or some clutch,"automatic"
The models vary at the GNCC's some four strokes and some two strokes. i personally like the power delivery of the two stroke.

The auto clutch you are referring to is most likely the "Recluse" clutch.