Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

DIY Powder Coating

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 04:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
DIY Powder Coating

I have a 91 Honda Fourtrax that I bought last year that ended up being in much worse shape that I thought. It ended up being a complete teardown and overhaul. It is currently stripped to the frame. I am laid up with the flu and was watching a hot rod show (not familiar with the name of it as the only time I can watch TV is when I am sick). Anyway, they were powder coating the frame of a car which got my gears turning upstairs. I have seen complete small powder coating systems at Harbor Freight for about $50. Has anyone ever used one of these? How about on something that has surface rust? I have a small sand blaster that I can clean it up with, but I'm not looking for a perfect finish.

Secondly, one of the steps is obviously to cure it. How does NOT curing it affect the finish? Is it just for looks, or how it performs? I guess I could find a shop that paints or actually powder coats and see if they would let me throw it in their oven for a while.

Anway, just talking out loud at this point, but just want some experience. I found a DIY forum that was talking about it, but they were mainly bashing the idea. I'm not looking for perfect, just dressing it up.
Old 02-23-2008, 06:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PC'ing is ez to do, but its ez to screw up too... you can get a kit that is made by Chicago for like 100 bucks or less. Curing is a must. alot of powders do not look right until cured. Also the powder is soft until its cured, the powder will fall off if its not cured.

the metal HAS to be clean of all oils. you can do this by ssimply sand blasting it. make sure you have a area dedicated that can get dirty, the powder that doesnt make it on the metal falls to the ground. you can sweep t up[ but it makes a nice mess. get on craiglist and find a cheap electrc oven or you can build a cabnet using heater cores. either way you cant use gas as the heat source and you need to be able to control the temps. normal curing goes from 300-450 degrees deeding on the powder.

id sy give it a try as long as you have a compressor. grab some old metal parts and start figuring out how to do it.