Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Conversion ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2003, 12:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Conversion ?

Is it possible to convert my '01 2500 5spd. 2WD to a 4WD and if so, what would it take? I know I would need a front axle and a transfer case, but will the rest of the suspension components work? Will my current transmission mate to a transfer case?<br><br>I have a friend that works for State Farm and I am looking to find a donor vehicle but I need to know how much of the front suspension to scavenge.<br><br>I am tired of having to get my CJ7 out every time there is a heavy dew. ;D<br><br>Thanks!<br><br>Brad
Old 03-25-2003, 01:52 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Re:Conversion ?

It can really add up.

I dont know about the Dodge p/u but I have converted a 1974 GMC from 2x4 to 4x4.
It is a lot of work on a GMC.

The front frame crossmembers have to be cut out because the 2x's front crossmembers supports the 2 wheel suspension. However, the big 2wheel drive crossmeber does not allow for clearance with the front diff of a 4x4 axle.
There is also another crossmember (on a GMC) that needs to come off the front frame. The sway bar locations are different between 2x and a 4x and thus, the difference in the front crossmember.
Also, the leaf spring hangers in for the back axle are different on a 2x and a 4x (again, this is GMC).
You will need an additional cross member for the T-Case.

Once you get all the crossmember stuff cut out/relocated, or added, the rest was fairly easy.
On a GMC, the steering box is different and had to be replaced with one from a 4x4. The transmission could be reused but it needed a different output shaft and plate to mate up with the NP205 I used.

Of course, you'll need things like longer brake lines, longer shocks, etc.

You'll also need to consider relocating things like brake lines and wiring inside the frame where you might need to drill holes for the addition of spring shackles and new crossmembers.

I dont know how much of this carries over from a '74 GMC to a new Dodge. However, I post this as a warning that it may be quite a task to convert these trucks.

It may be easier to get a donor frame and start from there.

Rich.