Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Confessions of a CTD owner: I love the new Honda Civic

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-2007, 10:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hohn -

I'm with you - my daily driver is a real "Man's" car; a 2000 Accord EX 5-speed. Know what - most truck owners compliment this car, something to do with 29 mpg around town, upwards of 35 mpg on the highway. That and with 143k and never a squeak or rattle, you can tell how it's built. The doors still seem a bit flimsy to me, but compared to old '96, almost any car outside of a BMW feels "light."

If it were me, I would stick to the Civic - newer design, better mileage, better back-seat room, better safety ratings, and not really a "tall roof" design. This is an advantage when driving in crosswinds. An Si 4-door 6-speed would really be a nice daily driver!

And yes - outside of the Ridgeline, you really won't go far wrong buying a Honda. And if you don't like it, it's usually rather easy to sell a Honda, too.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:09 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Hohn:
Glad to hear it is going well there. Where about you heading to once you get back?
The Fit has been a fine car. The price was certainly right on it for all that you get. I really wanted/needed a hatchback so the Civic left me wanting. At least at the time not sure if they came out with one yet or not, there was talk of one coming. That and I really didnt want to spend the extra money on a small commuter car. If it was going to be my only mode of transport I would have spent the money on the Civic or quite possibly even the Accord The insurance on it is cheaper than on my 01 CTD with over 200k on it. The engine is small. My Brother in Laws Goldwing has a larger engine however the FIt gets as good as mileage or better than the Goldwing. It is a bit underpowered but it is peppy and gets around fine. That may be why the mileage is not much different than the Civic. The Civic has a larger engine and more hp and may not be working as hard along with the I think better aerodynamics of the Civic. I have the auto with the paddle shifters and have found that if I use them in the mountains and downshift a little earlier than it would otherwise it will hold its speed much better up the long grades. Again it does fine it just sort of wierds me out a bit when it downshifts 2 gears and is doing 5500rpms guess I am too used to the truck. If you have any interest in the FIT there is a website like the DTR/TDR for it www.fitfreak.net there is definitly a different tone over there than here or TDR.

Glad to hear you're heading back this way.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:41 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Well, let's not get carried away, Barry!

We're actually hoping to settle in C/Springs/Monument/Castle Rock/etc--somewhere along the front range, with the closeness to the Springs being nice.

Now, I just need to find a J-O-B!

Anyone want to help me feed my family and my hobbies, please PM employment details
Old 06-20-2007, 06:03 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOHN
It's going well, here. I'm yearning for the Rockies, though. The whole "paradise" thing is overrated.

I'm also looking at a Fit. I happen to think they are nifty little cars. I can't believe how TINY the engine is-- there's TONS of space to work on it, even with a small underhood area.

I'm shopping for these because were are moving to CO, and I may have to commute to a job that allows us to live there-- hence I might have to part with the CTD Then again, if it's paid for, fuel costs look pretty cheap, eh?

Anyway, the Civic is just my huckleberry of small cars. That, and the Lancer Evo 8, but I'm not paying $36K for a commuter!

The mpg difference between the Civic and the Fit isn't really as large as I expected it to be-- I suspect the civic had better aerodynamics which help out the hwy numbers a lot.

Glad to hear the Fit delivers-- I was impressed with its space and comfort when I sat in it.

Blasphemy!!!!!
Old 06-20-2007, 07:00 PM

I know!

Oddly enough the Civic has 30/40 mpg ratings while the Fit has 31/38..hmmm

Si though isn't so fuel friendly..
Old 06-20-2007, 07:35 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

Hey, I could have been worse. You could have traded in your truck for a **Gasp** Hybrid. There isn't a day that goes by that I don't miss my truck but I sure do like the mileage of these cars.

Britt

Old 06-21-2007, 08:06 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
When you get back to the front range make sure and give a holler.
Old 06-21-2007, 10:04 AM

I agree about the new Civics, I bought one for the wife to drive about a year ago. got tired of paying $50 every 10 days in the Durango. even with the gas prices being higher and my wife driving farther to work we still only pay $30-35 every 2 weeks with the civic. An I LIKE driving it, It is a lot sportier than my beast of a truck, BUT you will have to pry the keys for my truck from my cold dead hands!
Old 06-21-2007, 11:03 AM

I used to drive a crx and that thing drove like a race car, ...... a race car with no power

If you want a commuter, have you looked at the diesel vw's?
Old 06-21-2007, 12:27 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Ph4tty
I used to drive a crx and that thing drove like a race car, ...... a race car with no power

If you want a commuter, have you looked at the diesel vw's?
My buddy has a 6.oh-no harley davidson...sweet truck. But for commuting he has the older body style passat with a diesel in it. Thing is a freak. Gets 55 on the highway running 75 and 30+ in town. Plus it looks cool and has more room than the jetta...I was very impressed
Old 06-21-2007, 03:30 PM

Yeah, I've looked at the Veedubs (in da haussss).

Sadly, they just aren't reliable enough for me. Electrical problems and having to use a one-off oil spec do NOT appeal to me at all.

The only diesel car that REALLY appeals to me is a BluTec E320CDI. But alas-- I don't have a spare 50K laying around

What I'm REALLY wanting to do is find a cheapo late 80s Civic Si or CRX and do the strip and gut thing and go a little crazy. I know a guy with an 89CRX that's running 14:1 compression on pump gas-- gets 40mpg.

Oh, and it runs an 11.42 quarter
Old 06-21-2007, 05:49 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by HOHN
Yeah, I've looked at the Veedubs (in da haussss).

Sadly, they just aren't reliable enough for me. Electrical problems and having to use a one-off oil spec do NOT appeal to me at all.

The only diesel car that REALLY appeals to me is a BluTec E320CDI. But alas-- I don't have a spare 50K laying around

What I'm REALLY wanting to do is find a cheapo late 80s Civic Si or CRX and do the strip and gut thing and go a little crazy. I know a guy with an 89CRX that's running 14:1 compression on pump gas-- gets 40mpg.

Oh, and it runs an 11.42 quarter
You're honestly considering a ricer???? Don't make and rash decisions chief. Step away from the computer and think about what you just said....