Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Computer problems

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2007, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mud Ready
already did the disc defrag. Its a 80 gig HD and I have 54 gigs of free space so I know thats not the problem.

How do I got about reformatting the hard drive? I dont really have anything of much importance on this computer other than a few pictures.
So you definitely arent running out of room - I would say make sure the computer is clean from dust, so that it can breath and not running hot. Then I would check the "prefetch" directory and delete what's in it (this stuff is basically temp files Windows uses to load things faster, but gets rather large and actually has an inverse effect) then I would got to Task Manager and make sure you aren't running an absurd amount of Processes. Then go to the Start up folder and make sure you don't have a ton of things starting every time the computer starts - keep this to a minimum, it really chews into performance. Hopefully we can get your comp running a little faster for you. Let us know what happens.

Originally Posted by PourinDiesel
Ever thought of upgrading RAM. I know that might not be the issue but it couldnt hurt anyhow for today's internet.
This would not be a bad idea - Windows XP claims you only need 256MB to run it, however, that would be pretty slow, 512MB is surely enough, however, 1GB would be the ideal with as much overhead crap that Windows trys doing.
Old 09-28-2007, 08:51 AM

You have a nasty spyware program slowing it down that much.
1. It will take you a while, but go into add/remove programs and remove any program that you don't use. You'll be surprised how much junk gets installed on your computer during other installs. Funny enough, some of the nastiest spyware programs can easily be removed by just unstalling them.
2. Once you are done all this, go to start, run, type in "msconfig" without the quotes, click on the startup tab, and uncheck everything that doesn't have to do with Norton or spybot (for now).
3. Reboot into "safe mode" (when your computer changes from the bios screen hit F8 for a boot menu, then choose safe mode). This may take you a few reboots to get the timing of hitting F8 just at the right time.
4. Once in safe mode (yes it will look funny, but deal with it for now) - run your AV scan, then run your spyware program (preferably spybot and adaware both).
5. Once all this is done (a few hours probably) - reboot into normal mode, do the MSCONFIG thing again and put back what you think you may need (keyboard fastkeys and junk like that is okay).

DON'T upgrade your memory - it won't help for this. Unless you are gaming 512 is plenty for Wxp. Dust will not slow your computer down, only over heat it, which will make it shut down, not slow down. Defrag is a waste of time at today's HD speeds as well, tiny little gain.

Most importantly, after all this is done: stay off **** sites, gambling sites, and "teen" sites, hack sites, gaming sites, they are full of spyware, keyloggers, viruses, etc....
Old 09-28-2007, 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Sea:\>Drive
Most importantly, after all this is done: stay off **** sites, gambling sites, and "teen" sites, hack sites, gaming sites, they are full of spyware, keyloggers, viruses, etc....
That's what most people don't understand... even the game and gambling sites...

The add/remove programs is a must... If you aren't careful many installs will put a bunch of useless stuff on your computer along with it - make sure you delete anything that says "toolbar" like Yahoo Toolbar or Google Toolbar.. those are very common hidden installs.... Also, Bonzai Buddy.... or something like that - horrible program... and Weatherbug... those will slow a computer badly...
Old 09-28-2007, 10:15 AM
DTR's Toad Wrangler

Spyware Doctor has worked well for me. It is a free install. http://pack.google.com/intl/en/pack_...gl=ca&ciNum=11
Old 09-28-2007, 06:06 PM

If you truly have ran that many malware programs and its still slow, its time to look at the hardware, background apps, etc.

Ctrl-alt-del, click processes tab. Are any processes using high cpu usage? Could be any program at all chompin up your power..

Run harddrive diagnostic utilities such as hdtune.

Run memory tests such as windows memory diagnostics or memtest 86.

Physically inspect the machine/motherboard for blown capacitors.

Toss it and buy a new one if all of the above says everything is ok. Youll save lots of headaches, time, and money.

Oh, and about the flashing white screen, your computer may have removed the malware associated but the computer will never restore your desktop settings.

Go into display properties, desktop tab, click customize desktop, click web tab, and delete/uncheck any entries in there. Typically the flashing/hijacked desktops are just webpages that are set on your desktop.

The end.
Old 09-28-2007, 11:12 PM

I managed to get my desktop pic back to normal but computer is still extremely slow.

Ive tried Spyware Doctor, Spybot, Adaware (doesnt work), AVG spyware, Windows Defender, XoftSpy, SpyCatcher, Spy Terminator, etc.

I have gone through add/remove and removed any unneeded programs and have the start up programs set so only Anti-virus and Spyware Doctor are running.

When I go to task manager there are like 40 processes running but dont know what most of them are.