Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Computer LAN help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 05:20 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Computer LAN help

I have a Friend (CTD friend/forum member) whose computer is on the brink , he wants to re-format it , but wishes to save some of the information on it , but his CD burner does not work. The plan was to use my laptop and USB transfer cable to save the info on my laptop until such time as he could put it back on his computer. Now for the problem , i don't have my cable with me, it is about 150 miles away, so we are looking for other options. My first thought was connecting both computers with a cat 5 LAN cable , can this be done without a router? AKA plug the cable into one computer on each end...

What are our other options here...

Thanks Guys.
Old 03-26-2006, 05:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, you can use a LAN cable. The LAN controllers should auto switch for the CAT 5 cable, if not a crossover cable will be needed (or a router). Just setup both computers for a Ad-Hoc network.

MikeyB
Old 03-26-2006, 06:14 PM
JKM

And how do i setup and ad-hoc network ?

I tried plugging everything in together here at home , and i couldn't get anything to work... i was probably doing it wrong.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:18 PM

Just put everything on a usb thumb drive. Problem solved.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:41 PM
Banned

1 gig at a time, http://www.yousendit.com/ emailed to yourself..... helps to have a good compresion program like winrar to get all ya can out of it. or let him swap in a working cd rw if you are there to hook up the two computers, chances are the second one has a working cdrw......
Old 03-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
To setup an ad-hoc network use the "Create a new connection" wizard under Network Tasks in the Network Connections dilog. The term Ad-Hoc is the random IP address it sets up each network controller when it can't find a DHCP server. TMI I know.

You'll then need to share one of the folders on one of the PC's to be able to transfer files. You should create a folder such as recovered files on hte target machine and share it and allow writing to it.

Then on the other PC copy the files you want to save to the shared folder you see in My Network Places.

Edwin
Old 03-26-2006, 06:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Is both computers running XP? And how old are the computers? If the computers are three or more years and older (depending on the LAN controller) a crossover cable will be needed. Or a router will be needed.
Also to see any directories or files on the other computer they must be shared. Without being shared the other computer cannot see them.

MikeyB
Old 03-26-2006, 08:25 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Wal-mart online has a nice 1TB external HDD for $750.... you wont run out of space for a month of two....
Old 03-26-2006, 08:27 PM
JKM

USB thumb drive = $ , we are trying to do this or free. And e-mailing it is not a viable option either , we are both on dial up... 1 gig would take a week to send.

I'll try and setup the network tomorrow , and hope it goes well.

My laptop is running XP pro , and it is not yet year old , my friends computer is also running XP , but is 4-5 years old.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:30 PM
JKM

Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Wal-mart online has a nice 1TB external HDD for $750.... you wont run out of space for a month of two....
that's kinda big! I could take everything from my 4 computers , and his , and it would hardly put a mark on that sucker!

Besides , we don't have a walmart in this shanty town , most of us actually live in igloos... Heck , whatever cant be brought in by carrier penguin , has to be held up until there is enough to send a dogsled after it... our power is generated by polar bears on treadmills...
Old 03-26-2006, 08:30 PM

Received 1,038 Likes on 763 Posts
If you need a crossover cable they are available at Radio Shack for less than $20.

Edwin
Old 03-26-2006, 08:34 PM
JKM

Radio Shack , now that we have!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:34 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by JKM
that's kinda big! I could take everything from my 4 computers , and his , and it would hardly put a mark on that sucker!

Besides , we don't have a walmart in this shanty town , most of us actually live in igloos... Heck , whatever cant be brought in by carrier penguin , has to be held up until there is enough to send a dogsled after it... our power is generated by polar bears on treadmills...

www.walmart.com its only available online.
Old 03-26-2006, 08:37 PM

Originally Posted by JKM
I... AM... CANADIAN!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 08:53 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by JKM
our power is generated by polar bears on treadmills...
You do know they'll never fly, right?

phox

Quick Reply: Computer LAN help