Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Computer LAN help

Search this Thread

Old 03-26-2006, 08:57 PM
JKM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by phox_mulder
You do know they'll never fly, right?

phox
We know , but they think they can! You can tell when they really wanna take off , cause the lights get brighter
Old 03-29-2006, 06:45 PM
JKM

Ok , i need some more help here , i am still trying to get this setup , i have tried the network setup wizard , but it says my lan connection is dis-conected , on both computers , the cable is clearly plugged in... (i know this means nothing to a computer)

When i go into the setup wizard , i get as far as "ths wizard has found this dis-connected hardware" and it's the ethernet connection , and the wireless (on my laptop, the desktop just shows the ethernet) And it won't let me continue past there without clicking on "ignore disconnected hardware" and i can wade through and get a network setup "i think" , but because it thinks everything is dis-connected , nothing works...
Old 03-29-2006, 07:04 PM

Received 1,041 Likes on 764 Posts
Originally Posted by JKM
Ok , i need some more help here , i am still trying to get this setup , i have tried the network setup wizard , but it says my lan connection is dis-conected , on both computers , the cable is clearly plugged in... (i know this means nothing to a computer)

When i go into the setup wizard , i get as far as "ths wizard has found this dis-connected hardware" and it's the ethernet connection , and the wireless (on my laptop, the desktop just shows the ethernet) And it won't let me continue past there without clicking on "ignore disconnected hardware" and i can wade through and get a network setup "i think" , but because it thinks everything is dis-connected , nothing works...
Did you get the crossover cable? If so then go to a command prompt and type IPCONFIG /ALL and see what the ip address it assigns to the Lan interface.

If it says Media Disconnected then you need to get the crossover cable or else check that the Lan interface on one or both of the computers isn't disabled. Don't rely on the autoswitch another poster talked about. If you get the Radio Shack cable it will say Crossover right on the cable.

Again, you can PM me and I'll give you my phone number and I'll walk you through it.

Edwin
Old 03-29-2006, 07:28 PM
JKM

No , i did not get a crossover cable , i guess i'll go look at one tomorrow , but i really don't want to spend any $$... Oh well.

Thanks for the help so far.