Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Computer Guru's Need Some Help

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:45 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Computer Guru's Need Some Help

Okay fellas my laptop just recently took a nap and Im needing some help. 2 weeks ago I recived an automatic update from Microsoft. After the download and installation, I was asked to restart my computer. Upon restart at bootup I recieved a blue screen. So, I restarted and again I get the blue screen. The third time was even worse, this time the computer turned on but my screen was blank as if the computer was off. No display, nothing. I tried powering off of the AC adapter. Removing the memory stick. I have tried hooking up to a desktop monitor to bypass the display on my laptop and nothing.

So, I purchased a new Toshiba Satellite and an external hard drive enclosure to try and copy my files from my old hard drive over to my new laptop. I connected up fine and was able to read all of my files on my old hard drive. However, when I try to open my files from Documents and Settings/User/Monty I get a screen that says access denied. All other users I can open and copy files just fine. Now, I take it the reason I get the access message is because the file "Monty" has admin privledges and set up to where the rest of the users cannot read any of my files. I have tried moving the file to my shared folder with no luck. I have been told basically XP doesnt see the right criteria to allow me to open up the admin files.

What can I do here, I desperatly need the files off of my hard drive. They are there and in working order. It is just denying me access to them. What can I do? Surely I wont have to get my old laptop fixed just to access my files.

BTW: my old laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2650 running XP on a Celeron Processor.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:46 PM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Monty,
Was your old hard drive fomratted with NTFS? If it was, try booting to a dos prompt or shelling to a dos prompt.
Start -> Run -> cmd

Syntax
CACLS pathname [options]
Key options can be any combination of:
/T Search the pathname including all subfolders.
/E Edit ACL (leave existing rights unchanged)
/C Continue on access denied errors.
/G user: permission Grant access rights, permision can be: R Read
W Write
C Change (read/write)
F Full control
/R user Revoke specified user's access rights (only valid with /E).
/P user: permission Replace access rights, permission can be: N None
R Read
W Write
C Change (read/write)
F Full control
/D user
Deny access to user. In all the options above "user" can be a UserName
or a Workgroup (either local or global)

If a UserName or WGname includes spaces then it must
be surrounded with quotes e.g. "Authenticated Users"

If no options are specified CACLS will display the ACLs for the file(s)

For a full list of NT and XP commands see HERE

Good luck.
Rich.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wait wait try the simplest things first!

1. Have you tried repairing windows XP? Insert original disk..... or reinstall xp and then do a search for files.

2. Try renaming the file.

3. Pull hard drive and set it up as a slave on your new one delete XP files and access using good Xp.

4. pm me and I may be able to help

Not everybody is so heavily into DOS
Old 06-08-2005, 10:21 PM
Administrator

Thank you both for the replies. However, the DOS prompt will not work as I cannot see the screen to do anything. It just stays black and nothing will show up. "runamuk" how can I set the hard drive up as a slave? When I used a USB cord to hook to it now it is shown as E drive. Any help you can give is appreciated. I probably wont be able to get back to ya until tommorrow evening. Thanks again.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:43 PM
Administrator

Sounds like incompatibility between the update and your video driver.

You should be able to boot up in "safe" mode which uses a default video driver.

I don't know the key you push during bootup to activate safe mode in XP though.

I had a devil of a time upgrading my sisters desktop to XP (which she needed to do when she got her Ipod), got the blue screen of death many times, then garbled screen, then I finally was able to load the video driver off her original install discs that came with the computer.

phox
Old 06-08-2005, 11:50 PM

I agree if he can clear the CMOS on it it may default the settings and go back to a workable device

Unfortunately without having the thing here in front of me...........hard drive hook up is a real pita!

1.Try turning on insert windows xp disk, turn off. Then turn on again and see if the Xp disk begins to boot if it does, repair current windows, and you're good to go.

Question do you even get a bios report or no video whatsoever?
Old 06-09-2005, 05:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
If you do get the vendor screen at bootup, or are able to see the POST screen, then as soon as it clears begin hitting F8. This will bring up the WinXP boot menu. Once you see that, choose VGA mode. This will load WinXP with a generic driver, at which time you will be able to reload your original video driver. If needed go to laptop's vendor site and download XP video driver. This should get you back to business.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:59 AM

Re: Computer Guru's Need Some Help

Originally posted by Monty
However, when I try to open my files from Documents and Settings/User/Monty I get a screen that says access denied. All other users I can open and copy files just fine. Now, I take it the reason I get the access message is because the file "Monty" has admin privledges and set up to where the rest of the users cannot read any of my files. I have tried moving the file to my shared folder with no luck. I have been told basically XP doesnt see the right criteria to allow me to open up the admin files.
Monty,
Had the same thing happen to me when I upgraded to the latest service pack of XP.
I called the support number for my PC maker (HP) or did the instant online help with them (like a chat), I don't remember which. Anyway, they walked me throught the steps of giving me access back to my files. I couldn't have done it without their help, even though I am not computer illiterate. I don't remember how I did it now. I basically had to create a new user, if I remember correctly and then boot in safe mode and change some file settings. There are some more steps, but those are the only ones I remember.

Good luck,
~Rob

Old 06-09-2005, 07:10 AM

Originally posted by DieselDaze
Monty,
Was your old hard drive fomratted with NTFS? If it was, try booting to a dos prompt or shelling to a dos prompt.
Start -> Run -> cmd

Syntax
CACLS pathname [options]
Key options can be any combination of:
/T Search the pathname including all subfolders.
/E Edit ACL (leave existing rights unchanged)
/C Continue on access denied errors.
/G user: permission Grant access rights, permision can be: R Read
W Write
C Change (read/write)
F Full control
/R user Revoke specified user's access rights (only valid with /E).
/P user: permission Replace access rights, permission can be: N None
R Read
W Write
C Change (read/write)
F Full control
/D user
Deny access to user. In all the options above "user" can be a UserName
or a Workgroup (either local or global)

If a UserName or WGname includes spaces then it must
be surrounded with quotes e.g. "Authenticated Users"

If no options are specified CACLS will display the ACLs for the file(s)

For a full list of NT and XP commands see HERE

Good luck.
Rich.
Thanks for the link Rich,I bookmarked it and printed them out as well.
For whatever reason I have not looked for the command line capabilities of XP because I had heard/assumed that there weren't many.
Can't wait to try some out!!Just like the old days
Old 06-09-2005, 08:31 AM

typically, if your username and passwords are all the same, XP will do a passthrough of the access privlages from one computer to another.....
Old 06-09-2005, 08:43 AM
Administrator

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Originally posted by Monty
Thank you both for the replies. However, the DOS prompt will not work as I cannot see the screen to do anything. It just stays black and nothing will show up. "runamuk" how can I set the hard drive up as a slave? When I used a USB cord to hook to it now it is shown as E drive. Any help you can give is appreciated. I probably wont be able to get back to ya until tommorrow evening. Thanks again.
Monty,
If you can see the files from you new laptop, you are already there.
From your new laptop, looking at your original drive (Now called "E"), go to the root of the E drive.
It should be represented by a folder E:
Right click on "E" and chose "Properties".
In the Properties screen chose "Security"
In the Security settings, you will need to work in both the "Permissions" and "Owner" tabs.
You will need to replace the Permissions of all the files on the "E" drive and make your new laptop the "Owner" for all the files on the "E" drive.

If you need assistance, PM me or give ma a call. Id be happy to help you out.

There are ways to bring your old laptop back from the dead. If you want, let me know and I can offer a few different ways to try and resurect the old laptop.

Rich.
Old 06-09-2005, 09:07 AM

The problem you are experiencing on your laptop, the blue screen, is more than likely due to a video card driver. Microsoft is horrible for "automatic updates" containing "critical video drivers" that fail..

Turn on the laptop, and start tapping the F8 key (should give you a black/white menu, before the WinXP logo)..
Select SAFE MODE.

Go into device manager and select your video card, properties, and click "roll back driver".

That should resolve your issues.

As far as getting your files off the drive on the other machine.. is the machine youre hooking it up to Xp home or Pro? If its Pro, just right click on the folder that says "access denied", go to properties, go to the security tab, advanced, owner. Click your name on the list, check the box that says "replace owner on subcontainer", and hit apply, then ok, go back out to the main security window, and click add (will add a user to allow security), then type EVERYONE, then ok, that should add EVERYONE to the list under "Groups or user names", then select the boxes for full access, and apply. This should take care of your access denied problem.

If XP Home, same exact steps, but machine has to be in SAFE MODE to see the security tab.
Old 06-09-2005, 06:40 PM

Great idea Rich I also printed out your DOS commands very
Old 06-09-2005, 09:05 PM
Administrator

Thanks! I was able to change the security settings and transfer my files over. Thanks again everyone for the help and especially Rich who walked me through it over the phone.