Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Colorado Springs, CO

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-2008, 04:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Colorado Springs, CO

I just got a line on a job out there and was wondering what you guys opinion about the place was. Good place to move my family? Pros and Cons of living there? I have been there once but was only passing through and stopped to see the Air Force Academy. So all I know is beautiful country.
Old 07-03-2008, 08:22 PM
DTR College Boy and FUN SIZED!!!!!!!!!!

You betchya. Beautiful country. Don't know many specifics. Passed through many a times on my way to Wyoming. Like it while I'm there. I'm a fan of pretty much any western state minus CA though.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:21 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
My sister-in-law and her husband live there. Nice town, a bit of "high cost of living", but overall very nice.
Old 07-03-2008, 11:33 PM

Originally Posted by annabelle
My sister-in-law and her husband live there. Nice town, a bit of "high cost of living", but overall very nice.

I currently live in Norther VA just outside of DC. High cost of living? If it beats this area, man oh man.

Though honestly these days I dont really buy into cost of living to much. The only real difference from place to place is housing. Gas is with in pennies of each location and groceries are the same. I know that if I buy a tool from Matco in CO and buy the same one here its the same price.
Old 07-04-2008, 08:47 AM

Received 47 Likes on 42 Posts
Co Springs is a nice place. I live about 40 miles north of there. Not much different than any other city its size. Has some traffic issues during rush hour but what city that size doesnt. It is close to the mountains, some of the best fisheries in the state are within an hour. Spinney, 11 Mile and Antero Resevoir (though Antero experienced a very severe winter fish kill this past winter, though it will come back) and the Dream Stream just to name a few. The mountains provide camping, hiking, hunting galore. Weather is good. For me comparable job and choice between the Springs and Virginia there would be no choice to make as it would be too obvious. Nothing against you east coast guys and especially you Virginia residents but having lived in New York, Charlotte NC, spent some time in Morgantown WV as well as having to travel to DC frequently for business in the past Colorado and the west in general (at least to the western Nevada state line) is the place for me. Guess it really depends on what you like to do and will the Springs offer it.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
They seem to be in an area where it may snow, but it only stays around a couple of days. I did notice the ricers were abundant, but fun to play with. Great views and land. My sister-in-laws husband flys out of Denver, he has had no major problems commuting. Some minor ones but nothing too big.
Old 07-04-2008, 10:49 AM

I just made basically the same move from DC to CO. Could not be happier! I live about 45 mins North in Parker, but I have some friends who live in CO Springs. It really was the best decision I've made in a long time! I don't miss the traffic, the humidity, the traffic, the house prices, or the traffic in DC at all! The people out here in CO are much friendlier as well. Not that DC people aren't, they are all just so busy there they don't have time to be friendly. CO is just a much better way of life for me and my family.
Old 07-04-2008, 03:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
If I could do my current job in the Springs, I would move today..

Four years at the USAFA weren't enough for me-- I'd love to go back to stay..
Old 07-05-2008, 12:13 PM

I live in the Springs and will say it is a very friendly place. It has some traffic issues for sure but there is tons of construction to "fix" the bottlenecks.

The economy is in a slump here so if you have a good job to start with you should be in good shape. However if you or your spouse will be looking for work later it's not a good place. The town/City is 2 pieces. Old Colorado Springs downtown off the interstate and new Colorado Springs on the east side on the Powers corridor. It's a great time to buy a house. You say family so kids I'm assuming. Check into the local school districts before you buy. District 49 is hurting in a bad way, too many new homes and not enough schools and teachers. Older neighborhoods D11 and D20 seem to be better off.

We live on the east side of town and have everything we need within 5 miles, grocery stores, movies, home centers, parts stores everything.

This town is military and Christian, ever heard of New Life Church, just up the road. We have the Air Force academy, Peterson AFB, Schriever AFB and Fort Carson. Don't expect your neighbors to be your neighbors in 5 years.

We have Pikes Peak 30 minutes to the west and the views are awesome. I moved from Denver about 8 years ago and have never regretted it.

**edit**
Whant to buy a house? 2700 sq ft with 3 car heated garage. Goin on the market in 2 weeks
Old 07-05-2008, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2500Ram
I live in the Springs and will say it is a very friendly place. It has some traffic issues for sure but there is tons of construction to "fix" the bottlenecks.

The economy is in a slump here so if you have a good job to start with you should be in good shape. However if you or your spouse will be looking for work later it's not a good place. The town/City is 2 pieces. Old Colorado Springs downtown off the interstate and new Colorado Springs on the east side on the Powers corridor. It's a great time to buy a house. You say family so kids I'm assuming. Check into the local school districts before you buy. District 49 is hurting in a bad way, too many new homes and not enough schools and teachers. Older neighborhoods D11 and D20 seem to be better off.

We live on the east side of town and have everything we need within 5 miles, grocery stores, movies, home centers, parts stores everything.

This town is military and Christian, ever heard of New Life Church, just up the road. We have the Air Force academy, Peterson AFB, Schriever AFB and Fort Carson. Don't expect your neighbors to be your neighbors in 5 years.

We have Pikes Peak 30 minutes to the west and the views are awesome. I moved from Denver about 8 years ago and have never regretted it.

**edit**
Whant to buy a house? 2700 sq ft with 3 car heated garage. Goin on the market in 2 weeks
It would work out pretty well for us. If I move its because I have a job, and my wife would be able to VPN with her current job (and salary). That wouldnt be a problem. Good heads up on the schools, thank you!