Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28

Search this Thread

Old 12-24-2013, 08:59 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Merry Christmas, DTR loyal... I hope everyone is being safe and merry with family around!
Old 12-25-2013, 05:23 AM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Good Morning and Merry Christmas!

Coffee is on and foo in the carafe for Bob. Fresh baked goodies on the counter and best wishes for all on this Holiest of days

Merry Christmas from our family to yours!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:02 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Merry Christmas everyone. I hope everyone has a safe and joyous day.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:11 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
BTW. You never sent THE BOSS an address so your tray of goodies went to the ex-SIL.... Sorry bro
I didn't know I was s'posed to send it! In fact, I thought you had it, you sent me ph00 to try once, remember?

Originally Posted by Totallyrad
I like the idea of bringing wounded families together to explore new traditions.
This has nothing to do with what you said, but the word 'families' made me think of something I've thought about for a long time. You know how this time of year we always see the Salvation Army ringing their bells and collecting money? Or the toy drives that various organizations put together? Want to know how to eliminate these or any other charitable stuff you can think of? No, I don't mean get rid of Christmas, altho that wouldn't be a bad idea! What I'm talking about is 'adopting' a family. Those of us that are able to buy a gift for a couple kids and maybe provide the stuff they'd need for a decent meal should do just that. And why limit it to Christmas? Take an interest in a family and make sure they have what they need, including a job if we can do that. We can certainly guide them in the right direction. And really, who couldn't afford to help another family in some way? If everyone that was able, did something like this, we could eliminate 1/2 the programs that cost us so much money.

Okay, it is Wednesday, December 25th. Christmas Day.

1776 - Gen. George Washington and his troops crossed the Delaware River for a surprise attack against Hessian forces at Trenton, NJ.

1818 - "Silent Night" was performed for the first time, at the Church of St. Nikolaus in Oberndorff, Austria.

1868 - U.S. President Andrew Johnson granted an unconditional pardon to all persons involved in the Southern rebellion that resulted in the Civil War.

1914 - During World War I, British and German troops observed an unofficial truce and even playing football together on the Western Front.

1926 - Hirohito became the emperor of Japan after the death of his father Emperor Taisho.

1939 - "A Christmas Carol," by Charles Dickens, was read on CBS radio for the first time.

1941 - Hong Kong surrendered to the Japanese.

1946 - W.C. Fields died at the age of 66.

1962 - The Department of Commerce Census Clock in Washington, DC, recorded the U.S. population on this day as 188,000,000.

1991 - Soviet President Mikhail S. Gorbachev went on television to announce his resignation as leader of a Communist superpower that had already gone out of existence.

1998 - Seven days into their journey, Richard Branson, Steve Fossett and Per Lindstrand of Sweden gave up their attempt to make the first nonstop round-the-world balloon flight. They ditched near Hawaii.

2000 - Over 300 people were killed and dozens were injured by fire at a Christmas party in the Chinese city of Luoyang. The incident occurred at the Dongdu Disco.

Today's thought:
The deeper thought is, the taller it becomes.

Lary's Army c0ffee for Christmas... at least we'll all be regular!

Think an extra special thought and say another prayer today for B0b and his family today. We've proven that these prayers work, so don't stop now!
Old 12-25-2013, 07:15 AM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Merry Christmas morning. Hope everyone is having a nice wake up.

Tallguy, thanks for sharing The Orphans Christmas. We can relate to that. Between losing family over the years and moving for the Navy, our traditions changed. We still long for Christmases of old, seems like we chase that feeling every year. This year DH and I stayed home. After him being in AFG last Christmas and Chester's diagnosis, we wanted to stay put. It's pretty quiet, not sure what to do with ourselves. DH is playing video games and I'm about to nuke a plate of leftover chinese for breakfast. I have a duck in fridge that I'll be roasting today, topped with a soy honey/molasses glaze. A side of mashed potatoes and fresh green beans. I'm sure we'll uncork a bottle of wine to top it off.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:34 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Merry Christmas Gang! About to make another batch of peanut butter cookies. Help yourself...
Old 12-25-2013, 07:47 AM
It's my pot and I'll stir it if I want to. If you're not careful, I'll stir your's as well!

Received 152 Likes on 118 Posts
Merry Christmas everybody. May this Christmas morning be a good one for everybody reading this. Remember (remembrrrrrrrrrrrr) the reason for the season. Count your blessings, one by one. If you are reading this, no doubt you are much better off than the majority of the people in this troubled world. I
Like Scot said, if you are better off then others, then not only now, but later in the year, help someone who is less fortunate.

Hey, the coffee is good! Made my hair stand on end, but maybe that is what it is supposed to do. Grabbed one of the goodies too, even tho I do not need it. Ate too much yesterday when the family was here for lunch.

Today has dawned almost cloudless, but freezing. It's only 7C out there!!!!! That is unbelievably cold for here. At least I know in a few hours we will be back in the double digits which is some degree of comfort.

Where I came from last week, this is a normal working day. Worked the last two Christmas days, so it is great to be retired (for the 3rd time) and not have to work.

Y'all have a fantastic Christmas and try not to pig out too much.
Old 12-25-2013, 07:57 AM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
Merry Christmas.
Sad day yesterday as a good friend Pastor Bob passed away. I think it was a good day for him to move onto a better place because he made his Church so Christmas like every year.

Woke up a wild child lol. My daughter and I had to settle Megs down.

Scott, every year we do a grocery run for a family for Christmas. Plus we make sure they have mitts, boots, etc etc.
There's also an anonymous Santa run I do.

Enjoy the day! It's almost as warm here as it is at stan's place. Wonder if that had anything to do with the weather comments earlier in the week?
Old 12-25-2013, 08:57 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
MERRY CHRISTMAS, YAAWWWWLLLLLL!!!!!!! Rather chilly morn today - - down to 60 here and cloudy - - due some rain this afternoon. Bummer. Hmmm, now that I think about it, that is better than that white stuff. It's pretty for a day, but that is all.

Originally Posted by Shorts
They do not. In fact I think I'm the only one I've heard so far. When I'm out and about I'm sure to lay it thick too. Let 'em know I ain't from around here
Shorts, you do not have the atmosphere yet of where you are. You are on the east side of the state - - the hard side. Most inhabitants over there are from the NE (other than the Cubans). I was born up in NY, and they can be cold and brusk - - not Heidi thank goodness. You will here ya'll and other expressions like that over here, not necessarily with a hard accent, but using the phrase.

OK, have to go get ready for the journey out to the ranch and fun time. Takes me a while to get ready anymore - - can't understand that - - quite a chore. .........

Ph00.....................................cheers....................................MERRY CHRISTMAS...................

Bob
Old 12-25-2013, 10:46 AM

Received 417 Likes on 319 Posts
What a way to start the day, a cold house and frozen pipes. Had to go dig out the old honey bucket. Apparently the power was off for a while. Wondered why the cat was sleeping with me.
Anyway, have a safe warm and semi sober christmas.
Old 12-25-2013, 11:12 AM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some good ideas and thoughts from you people this morning.
cougar: Remember, a much better New Years is just around the corner. Sorry for your power.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
No, I don't mean get rid of Christmas, altho that wouldn't be a bad idea!
Yeah, I am normally a lot happier when its over but this year has been different in a good way.
Fried pig for breakfast!!!!!!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Shorts
I'm sure we'll uncork a bottle of wine to top it off.
Oh, I'm SURE!

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Like Scot said, if you are better off then others, then not only now, but later in the year, help someone who is less fortunate.
I'm not good at expressing my thoughts but that sums it up nicely!

Originally Posted by Scotty
Scott, every year we do a grocery run for a family for Christmas. Plus we make sure they have mitts, boots, etc etc.
YES! That's the kinda thing I'm talking about. There are a TON of people that work everyday, sometimes 2 and 3 jobs, and they just aren't making it. They have to choose between food and clothes. That ain't right. And I'm not talking about outright supporting these people so they can quit a job, just making it so they can go to sleep at night not wondering what catastrophe their choices are going to cause tomorrow.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
MERRY CHRISTMAS, YAAWWWWLLLLLL!!!!!!!
You will here ya'll and other expressions like that over here, not necessarily with a hard accent, but using the phrase.
I lived in Tampa for 3 months, and it took me 2 1/2 months to even come close to figuring out what anyone was saying to me. When I asked directions, more often than not I was told to start by taking the 'Daaawl Maaawby Haaway' to somewhere or another. I finally figured out it was the 'Dale Mabry Highway' they were talking about. You talk about us New Englanders talking funny, we ain't got NUTHIN' on you Floridians!

Everyone having a good Christmas so far? Jake got a new blanky and a stuffed squeaky toy that he's already half destroyed... life is good!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:33 AM

Scrambled eggs and cream cheese for breakfast, critters got a couple of old boiled pork chops and Huck got some of my eggs too and half and half instead of milk. About 35 out so just about time to go cut some wood.

Told Grandma I am going to try to get back there in June. Hope I can make it work out this time. She said she wishes there was something there that I could move back. I couldn't though. There's less to pull me back there than there is to hold me here.

Today's thought:
I want to lie down on the grass, rest on something living and see if I can hear the dead underneath.
R.P. Smith's "The Trail before Me". Skip to 5 minutes for the set-up, 8 minutes for the poem.
Old 12-25-2013, 12:35 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Don't forget: On this day, when he was still a new recruit,
Lary was busy crossing the Delaware with 2400 other soldiers.
That was probably a Christmas to remember though his memory isn't what it used to be.

I'm in a little trouble again. Daughters friends kids saw me finish tying up the big rib roast.
I told them it was from a wreck last night and was reindeer road kill.
Old 12-25-2013, 01:18 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I love wine

Ok, status update. Duck is about halfway through it's second hour in the oven, flipped for an even tan. Meanwhile I fried up the liver & heart in rendered duck fat, then deep fried the neck and battered gizzards. Washed it down with a 33* cold bottle of Shiner Bock. Thems make for great appetizers to tide us until dinner.

I hope everyone is enjoying what they've got going on.

Quick Reply: Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28