Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2013, 12:04 PM
There is no G. There is no G. Repeat after me, THERE IS NO G!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Morning yall. Quiet day around here. Started raining in the pre-dawn hours and it's coming down now. We are pretty wet here today.

Got a call from the vet with Chester's blood work. His last was done in July before the CT scan that found his tumor. The news today wasn't great. It wasn't horrible either. But I guess it moved down to somewhere in the middle. Not certain what numbers moved but I suspect it is the kidney/renal functions. I'm waiting on a call back. At his appt Tuesday the vet suggested Piroxicam to help reduce the inflam of the tumor and slightly help his breathing. It is an NSAID like the Rimadyl he's on. Of course it comes with it's side effects too. I'm wondering if the risks are worth the benefits at this point. His QOL is at least stable and predictable and we KNOW it. Anyway, the results this morning deflated me a little bit. I already know he's on borrow time. But it still hurts to hear mediocre news.

Originally Posted by FiverBob
Come a little further north and come to Siesta Key Beach. Very nice spot and Sarasota has a lot of neat places to see. Let me know and I will give you some suggestions of places to go.
Thanks for suggestion Bob. I'll look into it
Old 12-26-2013, 01:55 PM
Sausage Aficionado (In training)

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Good afternoon all y'all. Shorts, sorry to hear Chester's latest update. Fur kids mean so much to us and this kind of process isn't all that much fun. Things are quiet here for the frist time in 48 hours. We love the family and love having them here but DW and I are so used to our own routines that it is also good to have some down time on our own. I think we are just about caught up on the dirty dishes and the dog just crashed beside me on the couch. He has been on hyper-drive for the last 2 days and I suspect he is going to sleep for most of the next 24.

I have enjoyed reading all of your Christmas tales. It sounds like everyone followed my instructions about over-indulging. Good job all y'all.

Stan - welcome back to North America.
Old 12-26-2013, 01:55 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Shorts, that is tough stuff but sounds like he is still enjoying life so that's good.
Howdy people, Hi Claude (nice hearing from ya),

Originally Posted by chaikwa
understand why everyone changes a baby as soon as it poops itself. It's just going to do it again. (and again and again and again)
Funny thing about them poopy diapers - - never did learn how to change them things. Somehow could not learn the trick to it.
What really makes it funny is that I know Scott is serious.

Originally Posted by railroaderone
Bark when those diapers say 11 to 13 pounds that's all they will hold not a ounce more.
I always wondered about that. Daughter got a fancy new electronic kitchen food scale for Christmas. Have to test it out.

Originally Posted by Mexstan
Scott, I challenge you to wear diapers (steal one from Bob or Scotty) for a day, poop yourself and see if you can last more than an hour without crying.
And remember, its no good without pictures.
Old 12-26-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
The subjects that come up in here Bark if you weigh one make sure you triple disinfect the scale. I still don't think I could eat there
Old 12-26-2013, 02:40 PM
DTR's Night Watchman & Poet Laureate

Shorts
Sorry to hear about your dog, we are dealing with the same thing here with our Rottweiler Greta.
She's developed a mast cell tumor on her throat that is constricting her windpipe . It appears a to have originated in her liver or bladder and by the time the tumor showed up, it had already spread through her whole lymph system
They had her on Predisone to try and reduce the tumor but with no luck so far. She is still playful and energetic so it's hard to couple that with the fact she is dieing.
We are enjoying the time we have left with her until her QL starts to suffer.
Unfortunately , she has started refusing food, so it may be near time.
I'll keep you and your pup in my prayers.
Old 12-26-2013, 05:36 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

If you weigh one make sure you triple disinfect the scale. I still don't think I could eat there
Heck, its not my scale. I will just wait until the day we leave to try the diaper experiment.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:03 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Don't bring it to the break room Bark.

Dose anyone have a cure for gout it back and it sucks
Old 12-26-2013, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Bark
What really makes it funny is that I know Scott is serious.
Why is that funny? It makes sense!

Originally Posted by Shorts
Got a call from the vet with Chester's blood work...
M, that's awful. I know it's not the worst news, but it's still awful. Thank you so much for posting updates.

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Sorry to hear about your dog, we are dealing with the same thing here with our Rottweiler Greta.

Same thing I said to Shorts, it's awful. Between you and her, I'm all teary eyed. I know the day will come for Jake too, one way or another, and I'm going to be a basket case. I know how both you and Shorts feel about your 'kids', and I feel the hurt like they were my own. I think the only 'good' thing about it all, if there IS a good thing, is that we can end their suffering when the time comes. We should be able to be so kind to our fellow man.

Evening everyone.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:22 PM

Originally Posted by Chrisreyn
Shorts
She's developed a mast cell tumor on her throat that is constricting her windpipe . It appears a to have originated in her liver or bladder and by the time the tumor showed up, it had already spread through her whole lymph system
They had her on Predisone to try and reduce the tumor but with no luck so far. She is still playful and energetic so it's hard to couple that with the fact she is dieing.
I'm sorry to hear that Chris Same here, you, the family and Greta are on my list too. Yall enjoy your time. It's just too early no matter what.

Shorts, that is tough stuff but sounds like he is still enjoying life so that's good.
He perks at all the key words same as before. I don't know how much he is hurting but dang it, he's determined not to let it show or interfere.

Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Good afternoon all 'yall. Shorts, sorry to hear Chester's latest update. Fur kids mean so much to us and this kind of process isn't all that much fun. Things are quiet here for the frist time in 48 hours. We love the family and love having them here but DW and I are so used to our own routines that it is also good to have some down time on our own. I think we are just about caught up on the dirty dishes and the dog just crashed beside me on the couch. He has been on hyper-drive for the last 2 days and I suspect he is going to sleep for most of the next 24.

I have enjoyed reading all of your Christmas tales. It sounds like everyone followed my instructions about over-indulging. Good job all y'all.

Stan - welcome back to North America.

Tallguy, thanks man.
Old 12-26-2013, 06:45 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Hang in there Shorts and enjoy Chester all you can...we will keep you and Chester in our family prayers
Old 12-26-2013, 07:17 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Originally Posted by Tallguy67
Good afternoon all 'ya'll.
Hey, hey - - not bad for a Canuck - - ya'll did good, man. (I made correct with the little (') thingy.)

Got a call from the vet with Chester's blood work. The news today wasn't great. Anyway, the results this morning deflated me a little bit. I already know he's on borrow time. But it still hurts to hear mediocre news.
Thanks for suggestion Bob. I'll look into it
Sorry about the happenings on the pets. Never fun. My son and DIL just had to put their dog down. It was definitely starting to hurt with kidney failure. Tough doing. I am no good taking it to the vet - - had to let the wife do ours. My boys couldn't do it, either. For some reason I could handle the job taking them to the woods, hold them in my arms and put a bullet in their brain. Figure that one out. I had to put two of our cats down that way, but wife did the others at the vet. Funny, they seemed to know what I was doing. Did not fight it - - we cuddled a bit, told them goodbye and it was over. Wrapped them up, brought them back home and we all helped to bury them. Missed them all. I told myself it was the best thing for them, which it was. Better than suffering. Still tough. Takes a selling job on yourself that you are doing what is best for the animal. Had to do a couple horses - - that was tough also - - really liked the one - - my favorite rider. I had to do it for my friend - - they couldn't handle it.

OK, more pleasant subjects - - hope all recovered from the indulgence of yesterday - - I ate very light today and still felt stuffed. Sure was a nice lazy day with great memories.

OK, off to the family room and keep the blonde company. Later, gator.

Bob
Old 12-26-2013, 10:29 PM

Evening all. Took my Daughter out on the town (to the grocery and drug store and back) without any kids for a little while. She thought she had gone deaf.

Does anyone have a cure for gout it back and it sucks
Sorry it has flared up. People who have never had it don't know the pain.
Having a light sheet placed on my big toe joint during a flare up is unbearable.
Only thing that works for me (besides the temp relief of hard core pain meds) is lots of water or liquids and two 50mg indomethacin tabs followed by one every three hours until its gone away.
Once again, sorry its bugging you, its terrible.

He perks at all the key words same as before. I don't know how much he is hurting but dang it, he's determined not to let it show or interfere.
They sure handle pain a lot more stoically than we do.
Our main indicator for our last one was that when sleeping, his dreams were more "troubling" for the lack of a better word.
We had the vet come over to help with the final sleep and I like to think his dreams were good ones.
Geeez... I probably just depressed the heck out of you but you aren't close to that yet and if the time does come, it really is a good thing.
It was far worse thinking about him being gone than it was when we finally let him go.
Crud, I really have a way of cheering people up.

Originally Posted by chaikwa
Why is that funny? It makes sense!
Yeah, I know. What you say really does make sense but there are some other senses involved with diaper duty that make waiting to change a diaper until it really makes sense not make sense.
Since a diaper that has been pooped in twice smells five times worse than one that has been pooped in once,
I sense that you actually understand the diaper dilemma that has plagued mankind ever since
we decided that pooping on the floor during dinner was in bad taste.
Old 12-27-2013, 12:03 AM

Can't remember what I was watching on youtube, but there was a word said that Huck perked right up. I said it a few times and he jumped up and came over to me. Heck if I can remember what the word was or what I was watching, but it was an odd word for a dog to respond to.
Old 12-27-2013, 06:02 AM

Happy Friday people. Up at 6am and don't know why but coffee's on. Go get some

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
Hang in there Shorts and enjoy Chester all you can...we will keep you and Chester in our family prayers
Thanks Top

Sorry about the happenings on the pets. Never fun. My son and DIL just had to put their dog down. It was definitely starting to hurt with kidney failure. Tough doing. I am no good taking it to the vet - - had to let the wife do ours. My boys couldn't do it, either. For some reason I could handle the job taking them to the woods, hold them in my arms and put a bullet in their brain. Figure that one out. I had to put two of our cats down that way, but wife did the others at the vet. Funny, they seemed to know what I was doing. Did not fight it - - we cuddled a bit, told them goodbye and it was over. Wrapped them up, brought them back home and we all helped to bury them. Missed them all. I told myself it was the best thing for them, which it was. Better than suffering. Still tough. Takes a selling job on yourself that you are doing what is best for the animal. Had to do a couple horses - - that was tough also - - really liked the one - - my favorite rider. I had to do it for my friend - - they couldn't handle it.
Interesting you mention that pets know. They do. My first kitten my grandpa gave to me when I was born. She grew up a beautiful gray colored mama cat. She owned the place. Until one day she left and I never saw her again. I was in 7th grade and we had just moved. I still wonder where she went. Of all the pets I've had come and go, it's been a while since I've had one go. The last two I had just ran away when they got out of the yard/house. That was in college around the time of my accident. I wasn't home, laid up in the hospital and they were at my parents. They just took off when the door opened. Thanks a lot Holyfield (cat) and Rolo (dog).

DH and I talked about it already. It'll just be me in the room. He said he couldn't do it. I'm fine with it. I don't like people seeing me cry.

They sure handle pain a lot more stoically than we do.
Our main indicator for our last one was that when sleeping, his dreams were more "troubling" for the lack of a better word.
We had the vet come over to help with the final sleep and I like to think his dreams were good ones.
Geeez... I probably just depressed the heck out of you but you aren't close to that yet and if the time does come, it really is a good thing.
It was far worse thinking about him being gone than it was when we finally let him go.
Crud, I really have a way of cheering people up.
lol
Don't worry, it's nice to be frank and talk about this stuff. Least for me it is. Doesn't make it feel so lonesome.

Yeah, I know. What you say really does make sense but there are some other senses involved with diaper duty that make waiting to change a diaper until it really makes sense not make sense.
Since a diaper that has been pooped in twice smells five times worse than one that has been pooped in once,
I sense that you actually understand the diaper dilemma that has plagued mankind ever since
we decided that pooping on the floor during dinner was in bad taste.
I think yall are forgetting, it isn't about the diaper changer it is about the diaper wearer. You can't leave soft baby buns in a soiled environment or they get rashes. Plus the other end starts yelling and gets screamy and loud.

Originally Posted by NE frmhnd
Can't remember what I was watching on youtube, but there was a word said that Huck perked right up. I said it a few times and he jumped up and came over to me. Heck if I can remember what the word was or what I was watching, but it was an odd word for a dog to respond to.
Dogs pick up on the most random things Chester doesn't perk up to the tv unless it is kitties, horses or birds & running water sounds in nature. The other day I rewound the Budweiser commercial 5 times just to see him perk up and watch the Clydesdales with intent. He even does the sideways head tilt lol
Old 12-27-2013, 06:03 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Rise and shine children - - it's getting late. Daddy put on the coffee, ph00, hot water for Claude - - come and get it. Left over pastries on the counter if you can find them under all the discarded wrapping paper.

Have a gudurn, ya'll.

Bob

Quick Reply: Christmas Reunion Gab and goodies Room Dec 22 - 28