Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Cell phones, do it now

Search this Thread

Old 04-17-2006, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cell phones, do it now

Just read this in a local trivia sheet.
Any paramedics or EMT can let us know if this is true.

Parimedics will turn to victims cell phone for clues to that person's idenity. They are trying to get eveyone to adopt: ICE
ICE stand for in case of emergency. Add an entry in the contacts list in your cell phone under ICE. With the name and phone numberof the person that should be called on your behalf, save them a lot of time and have someone contaced quickly.
Paramedics know what ICE means and look for it.
Old 04-17-2006, 02:54 PM
P.J
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Interesting.

They could always do a "Wallet Biopsy" (had to say it, Saproanos reference)
Old 04-17-2006, 03:09 PM

yeah, id rather have them check my wallet. i dont want someone calling my friends telling them im dead or injured.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:20 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
I might be willing to be in an accident if they would call Jack and wake him up at 3 am
Old 04-17-2006, 03:24 PM
P.J
Banned

Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I might be willing to be in an accident if they would call Jack and wake him up at 3 am
Question is, would he answer?
Old 04-17-2006, 03:27 PM
Admin Team Leader

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts
Originally Posted by P.J
Question is, would he answer?
Perhaps we should set our alarms for 3 am and find out
Old 04-17-2006, 03:46 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by derek840378
yeah, id rather have them check my wallet. i dont want someone calling my friends telling them im dead or injured.
LOL!! That's not what the original poster said at all.

They look for the entry labeled "ICE". Within they find your emergency contact. It's a good idea.

And frankly, in most cases rescue won't have time to mess with it. The folks at the ER get the ball rolling there.
Old 04-17-2006, 03:51 PM

We do use this....There are of course the usual methods of identification and notification, but ICE is simply a new "tool"....
Old 04-17-2006, 04:05 PM
P.J
Banned

It does sound like a good idea, I mean what's it hurt anyway?

Unlessssss, you have a suspicious wife and she thinks you have the number to a Methamphetamine dealer stored in your cell phone.............

Just kidding, it's a good idea.
Old 04-17-2006, 04:14 PM

Originally Posted by BC847
LOL!! That's not what the original poster said at all.

They look for the entry labeled "ICE". Within they find your emergency contact. It's a good idea.

And frankly, in most cases rescue won't have time to mess with it. The folks at the ER get the ball rolling there.
ok, and when they contact my person what do u think they are gonna tell them? oops sorry, wrong number? they will have all the info they need when they open my wallet and find my drivers license. so to you i say,
Old 04-17-2006, 04:17 PM

The Police Officers also use ICE to help locate whoever you want contacted. It is a great idea and all your kids should have it in their phones. Just add the name ICE and the phone number of who you want to be notified! We use them for medical emergenies all the time.
Old 04-17-2006, 05:19 PM
DMH

And here I thought ICE stood for Immigration and Customs Enforcement.

Which brings up the question, What happens when an illegal immigrant has ICE on their cell phone? Who ya gonna call?

DMH
Old 04-17-2006, 05:35 PM

Im on the fire dept. Here and we dont even mess with personal belongings at the scene unless they are scattered on the road.Im sure it is different other places but we dont notify anyone the hospital takes care of that. We had a problem one time with a missing purse and our dept. was blamed and the state trooper that was on the scene had it the whole time. After that a rule was made to not touch any personal belongings on the scene.I do think this is a good idea though.
Old 04-17-2006, 06:27 PM
1st Generation Admin

Received 111 Likes on 57 Posts
It's amazing how complicated some might chose to make this.

My drivers license does not indicate an emergency contact.
My Credit cards do not indicate an emergency contact.
My video club membership card does not indicate an emergency contact.
To be honest, I'm unaware of a standard source to be found in ones wallet as to an emergency contact.
As is posted above, it's bad practice, no matter how good intended to be going through someones personal effects looking for clues.

This idea fits right in with things like medical alert ID bracelets, placing a container in the refrigerator door containing emergency information, etc.

. . . . Y'all familiar with Brady's Emergency Care correct me if I steer wrong . . . .

When we the emergency personnel join the department, accept our pagers, the responsibility of responding, etc, we have profound legal responsibility placed upon us, volunteer or not.

If the patient is conscious, they are treated as anyone else on the street. Some of which includes things like: if they don't want us to touch them, we can't. If we do, we can be legally charged with assault. Crap like that.

If the patient is unconscious, it's an entirely different ball game. We're allowed to do what any reasonable person might wish to be done REF: Help Me!. That includes going through your wallet/purse for the purpose of gleaning any useful information. Because there's always the thought some turd's gonna claim we stole there money, any looking is done in the presents of many personnel (fire/rescue/EMS/Police).

It's time consuming (See The Golden Hour).

With the proliferation of cell-phones, I can't think of any reason why such a standardized source of emergency contact would be thought a bad idea.

If you're not into helping us help you, then by all means, DON'T.

. . . . .Let's see, PLAN A: Do all you can to preserve life. PLAN B: Comfort the dieing.

BC ~ 13+ years http://www.buiescreekfire.com/ EMTD/ALS provider/PALS/ERT/FF1

The Golden Hour

The Golden Hour is defined as the time period of one hour in which the lives of a majority of critically injured trauma patients can be saved if definitive surgical intervention is provided. Only 60 minutes from the moment of injury to notify the police; dispatch an ambulance to the scene; transport the victim to a hospital; summon the appropriate surgical and support staff; and perform the necessary life-saving surgery.
Old 04-17-2006, 07:03 PM

Hey BC, that's a cool webpage that your department has. It don't look like the departments been around very long. Only 50 years.

Quick Reply: Cell phones, do it now