Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.
View Poll Results: Who Makes the Best AR-15?
Bushmaster
21.84%
Colt
39.08%
Rock River
16.09%
Armalite
9.20%
DPMS
4.02%
Olympic Arms
2.30%
Stag Arms
4.02%
Other (Please Specify)
3.45%
Voters: 174. You may not vote on this poll

Calling all AR-15 Lovers

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2006, 09:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Hey gouys,
Thanks for the input keep it comin. What does pre ban mean exactly? I know that California has a huge restriction on them but are there any other special laws aginst them?

Thanks
waldo
Old 12-05-2006, 10:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by whereswaldo250
Hey gouys,
Thanks for the input keep it comin. What does pre ban mean exactly? I know that California has a huge restriction on them but are there any other special laws aginst them?

Thanks
waldo
Pre-ban is often misused since there were so many bans. Before the "ban", usually refers to the ban that went into effect somewhere between approximately 90-93. Pre-ban...AR15's were called AR15s. After the ban, Colt changed the name to "Sporter" and did away with the bayonet lug. Other weapons had their names changed, or minor features changed as well, to bypass the ban. Pre-ban weapons are usually very sought after because they mirrored their military rivals (except for full auto availability)
Old 12-06-2006, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by BigGunZ
You can't argue with the resale value of the Colts. They hold their value well. I don't think there's any appreciable difference between the top 3.
I thought we were talking quality and accuracy. If all we are talking about is resale value then yes, a Colt is fine. I buy my rifles to shoot.
Old 12-06-2006, 06:33 AM

I think the Pre-Ban refers to being able to get them with High Capacity mags. For a while you couldn't get an assault rifle with more than a 5 round mag or something like that. I believe that you can now get them with high cap mags again. I'm sure someone here will tell us for sure as I am no gun expert....
Old 12-06-2006, 06:58 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
"Pre-Ban" AR's etc had Flash Hiders and Bayonet Lugs.

Pre-Ban

'Clinton-Ban'

BIG difference Huh?......

The Magazine Capacity rule (<10 rounds) was another wrinkle that went away with the Sunset of this useless "Feel-Good" legislation.
(trying not to activate the Political-Discussion detector)
Old 12-06-2006, 07:47 AM

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
"Pre-Ban" AR's etc had Flash Hiders and Bayonet Lugs.

Pre-Ban

'Clinton-Ban'

BIG difference Huh?......

The Magazine Capacity rule (<10 rounds) was another wrinkle that went away with the Sunset of this useless "Feel-Good" legislation.
(trying not to activate the Political-Discussion detector)

Hey now !! The government had to get rid of those nasty lugs. The constant onslaught of drive-by-bayonetings was too much for local police to handle.
Old 12-06-2006, 09:24 AM

i have a few custom ar's i really don't know what the recivers are, one has a had lapped kreiger barrel and the other has a custom barrel also but for the world of me i can't remember the name. but if i was buying a complete gun it would be a jp custom all machined billet reciver gun. both billet uppers and lower reciver with a nice heavy 20" barrlel with a comp and a jp trigger. these guns are first class all the way.
and in my on opinion, colt ar's are way down the list for overall shooter value. i am fixing to get a 9mm a.r. and get a silencer built into the barrel like a mp5sd. i think this will be one kick *** gun to shoot in my back yard. but i may get lucky and get a h&k instead, still looking for a great deal.
Old 12-06-2006, 05:21 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are all the parts inner changable from company to company? I think that I have narrowed do what I will get. I am still not sure what company yet but am looking at a m4a3 with the detachable handle. I would like a 16in barrel with a 4 position stock. I heard that the stock are plastic and aluminum which is best? And if the parts are inner changable I will build a target rifle. It looks like most of these are personal prefrence.

Thanks
Old 12-06-2006, 06:25 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by MikeyB
This summer I'm planning to build two ARs (one standard and one mid length retracting stock) on RRA receivers. Trying to decide on the furniture color. Black or green.

MikeyB
http://unitedarmsonline.com/Services.../Sunburst.html
Old 12-06-2006, 08:23 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Rock River and Stag are built by the same company, Continental Machine and Tool, however, CMT markets the Stag. However, each mfg. calls out for a different tolerance variation in the lower recievers. Take Rock River for instance, it has been my experience that they tend to keep there tolerances a little tighter. For an out of the box M4, I would tend to go with the Rock River. Building from scratch is a whole different story.

This is my recent build using a Rock River Arms lower and Stag Upper. Wilson barrel, VLTOR free float forearm, EOTECH 512 sight, ARMS 40 backup sight, Phantom flash suppressor, Lewis Machine and Tool bolt and carrier group. Its now sporting a Surefire weaponlight with pressure switch.

My second AR is a Bushmaster 20" with a Larue 13" free float rail. Its in the process of being turned into an 18" SPR Midlength.
Attached Thumbnails Calling all AR-15 Lovers-build.jpg  
Old 12-06-2006, 08:57 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Just make sure you don't "over-do" the accessories.

Old 12-06-2006, 09:14 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Originally Posted by Shovelhead
Just make sure you don't "over-do" the accessories.

One blade of the swiss army knife is on one side of the flashlight that is seen behind (left side of) the front sight, yet the knife handle is on the right of the barrel along with the other blade being in front of the scope. Something doesn't seem to add up there....
Old 12-07-2006, 07:10 AM

You can not go wrong with a Rock River rifle. I work for a large dept in Texas and we were authorized to carry a patrol rifle. Colt and Rock River were all we could carry. So far a large number of personal rifles on the street are Rock river along with the ones bough by the city. So far the Rock River have held up very well. Some of the certification schools have been Rainy, cold, muddy and no problems at all. You will find the trigger on the Rock River is 100% better than the Colt. I have owned both and trust my life with the Rock River. Just my point of view.......
Old 12-07-2006, 07:39 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Fronty Owner
Dang, that hurt my eyes!!
Wonder if glows in the dark.

MikeyB
Old 12-07-2006, 08:37 AM

I have several RRA's that I use for target,predator and varmints.
Very hard to beat for the money.
Check out AR15.com and you will get some pretty strong opinions over there.
If you are buying new then call Pete @ Legal Transfers
Pete in NH FFL/SOT Dealer
Legal Transfers of NH
RRA PREMIER DEALER
One of RRA's Oldest and Largest Dealers
603-770-2281

There is a member here who does all my FFL recieving here in AZ and he's a great guy to deal with. PM me if you need info.
I also have a few ARs I might part with.

Quick Reply: Calling all AR-15 Lovers