Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Buying Wife a Handgun

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2012, 02:23 PM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG
I have a nice S&W model 13 .357 mag that I shoot .38 specials thru and am quite proficient with on paper.
Actually, a 13 3" is my last ditch piece. I can palm it if necessary ( I have big hands....) and have become proficient enough with it I can pass Shovels test.

Wife.com would carry it with .38's though, it is a handful with full house loads.
Old 01-22-2012, 05:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Shovelhead
I hope some folks don't assume that my recommedation of shooting 38 spl instead of full bore .357 Mag is 'dumbing down' because of the female part of the equation.

If I (or you) can group 6 rapid shots with .38 spl and cover it with a .50 piece (and not be flash-blind and deaf), then shoot 6 rapid shots with .357 and cover it with a pie plate (and not be able to see or hear anything for 20 minutes) guess which I'll chose?

I didn't take it that way, I have a .357 Ruger SP 101, right now it's loaded with .38 ammo . . . actually a very smart way to use a .357, and you are right, I do much better with the .38 ammo from both the shooting aspect and certainly the hearing aspect . . target practice with ear protection is a whole lot better way to shoot the .357 ammo . . LOL !!!

CD
Old 01-22-2012, 05:09 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
I hope some folks don't assume that my recommedation of shooting 38 spl instead of full bore .357 Mag is 'dumbing down' because of the female part of the equation.

If I (or you) can group 6 rapid shots with .38 spl and cover it with a .50 piece (and not be flash-blind and deaf), then shoot 6 rapid shots with .357 and cover it with a pie plate (and not be able to see or hear anything for 20 minutes) guess which I'll chose?
Didn't mean that at all. I am 6-3 240 pounds with medium sized hands.

I run .44 specials and .38 specials thru my magnums because I can re-acquire faster, hear better, and control the gun better, practice is cheaper and more frequent, reloading components and tooling is the same for either mag or special, the guns will last longer, blah blah blah....

I sold a beautiful Colt Delta Elite 10mm because it was so hard to control and I don't get rid of anything!

.45's are great but hard to conceal, if she can do that, more power to her, no pun intended!!

Women shooters are better pupils, learn faster, have a lot less bad habits to break and become better shots than most men.

My suggestion was meant for precision tactical advantage, not an inability to "handle" a mans caliber.

Patdaly, I wouldn't mind losing an inch on my 13. I may look for a 3" barrel to try.
Old 01-22-2012, 06:13 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Not trying to step on toes, just making sure the
"You're not a REAL man if you don't conceal carry a 50 caliber Desert Eagle at night in your boxers"
types understand .......
Old 01-22-2012, 11:31 PM

I gotcha, just clearing up any testosterone odor coming from my earlier remarks.

I am soooo misunderstoood
Old 01-23-2012, 07:50 AM

Wow - Lots of great recomendations - Thanks to all, I feel pretty good that I am going to set her up the safety class and let her pick what she feels comfortable with. She used to shoot alot but has been many years and could use a refresher. Her brother is retired police, swat, bomb, so I am sure he will offer up lots of suggestions as well. Thanks
Old 01-23-2012, 08:11 AM
Administrator

Received 171 Likes on 129 Posts
Originally Posted by SIXSLUG

Patdaly, I wouldn't mind losing an inch on my 13. I may look for a 3" barrel to try.
Mine came from an FBI agent, I was never a big snubby fan, but he was a customer of the shop I worked at part time, so when he wanted to get rid of it, I grabbed it to replace my Grendel P10 as a last ditch piece......( you don't want to know what I paid, but I made money after selling the POS Grendel..) It has been Armaloyed, and the local PD Armor had slicked it up. Tell you what, I wouldn't be the LEAST bit concerned having it as my only handgun....
Old 01-23-2012, 09:37 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
AND! make sure she learns to aim for the Veggie tables that way if a would be mugger tries any thing he wont be able to breed and reproduce more imbeciles in the future
Old 01-23-2012, 12:10 PM

A "judge" with slugs and buckshot in the hands of a crazed female would probably just about win every time!!

Just a thought!
Old 01-23-2012, 03:15 PM
DTR 1st Sergeant

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
An old saying comes to mind on the relative "power" of a given cartridge and its application:

"There are more people in the morgue with a .22 in the head than a .44 in the foot".

Use what you can shoot effectively and you have confidence in. For Dirty Harry it was a model 29. Me, not so much.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:41 PM
DTR's Volcano Monitor, Toilet Smuggler, Taser tester, Meteorite enumerator, Quill counter, Match hoarder, Panic Dance Choreographer, Bet losing shrew murderer

I don't think so. My wife totally prefers .38+p's over the .357mag in her M65. She just feels she would have more control if she had to fire at multiple targets in the house.
Old 01-23-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Lary Ellis (Top)
I would take her to a reputable shop where she can hold the weapon and find one that is comfortable for her...lots of places have a range there where she can try it out and get her safety class as well.

It is important to get her a handgun she can be confident with or you risk just giving the bad guy a gun to take away from her. If she doesn't like it, it doesn't fit her hand or she is just plain scared of it, it is worse than no gun at all.
I totally agree. I bought my wife an expensive weapon because she had mentioned she liked the decocking mechanism the pistol had.......I now carry the pistol because she said her Browning had a more comfortable feel and she was comfortable with the operation of the Browning.
Old 01-24-2012, 07:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
I really enjoy shooting full power .357 Mag loads through my little S&W 360. Makes you really appreciate the larger/heavier framed revolvers.

MikeyB
Old 01-28-2021, 07:41 PM

Hi guys. Is anyone of you here transporting firearms inside their vehicle? I have several long guns I need to transport and I need a gun rack that's concealed and can be locked. It should be hidden and guns should have to lock in place. I have a 2019 RAM 1500 and I'm looking at the
 under seat storage under seat storage
. There are other options to choose from a site I saw https://car-parts-home.com/truck-gun-racks/ however most of them are open type racks where it's visible from outside. Are the under seat storage my best bet to safely transport firearms? It is unloaded (no ammunition) during transport.
Old 01-29-2021, 09:01 AM

Received 421 Likes on 322 Posts
CA is among the worst states for firearms owners. Their laws vary county to county and even city to city. And to add insult to injury, their cops don't know the laws and tend to make them up depend on how the old lady treated them last night. Because of that "in the trunk" law, pickups are a good money making target for them. A visible gun rack is like blood in the water and the first thing out of their mouth is "probable cause" when they pull you over. I started carrying a level and surveyors stick in mine just to keep them off my back. And this was back in the late 70's and early 80's. Lord knows how rabed they are now.