Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Baseball Cards

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2006, 12:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Baseball Cards

Me and my mother got talking and she ended up dragging out a collection of old baseball cards that she had collected over time. There were some Topps trading cards from the 60's that I was wondering the value of. Without buying a book, I don't suppose there'd be an online appraiser I could peek at to check their values? Just fairly curious here. Old stuff is usually pretty cool.

Mike
Old 08-20-2006, 12:20 PM

LOTS of money!!!

Beckett is pretty much the standard when it comes to sports card values.

My reccomendation: Go to a sports card shop, buy a Beckett (price guide), some plastic individual card sleeves, and also some harder plastic card sleeves, Get those things protected, they're worth money.

http://www.beckett.com/publications/...&eskin=beckett
Old 08-20-2006, 01:54 PM

You can also go to eBay and search by "Completed Items" to get a rough idea of what they are selling for. Make sure that when you do compare prices that you don't include the ones that are graded (PSA, BGS, etc...) Graded cards have been sent to proffessional condition appraisers and are usually worth more than a non graded card. Most auctions will say if it is graded but you can also tell by the graded case that they are in.

Make sure that you compare apples to apples and you should be able to get an idea of what your cards would sell for on the open market. Some people get caught up in the price guides (like Beckett)....They'll insist that their card is worth exactly what the price guide says it is worth. The reality is that the price guides only give a rough estimate of what the cards might be worth. The real values are what the cards are going for on the open market. After all an item is only worth what someone is willing to pay for it!

Baseball cards are a lot like stocks in a way. They are vulnerable to what happens in the real world (Baseball). Old cards obviously don't react as much to this vulnerability but they are affected to some extent.

Anyway, eBay is a great tool to get a more realistic idea of what your cards are worth and it's free to use... Good luck!