Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Bad Service Experience

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2011, 06:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Bad Service Experience

So a couple weeks ago I found that the front output shaft seal on the transfer case is leaking on my truck and against my better judgement I take it to the dealer where I bought the truck because it's close to work. I had a horrible experience with them in 2006 and vowed to never return to their service department. But I figured new ownership better experience so I take it in. They evaluated it and they said that the fluid is leaking out from between the case halves and they will need to pull the entire tcase out to re-RTV it. Okay, maybe he seen something I didn't, who am I to tell the diesel tech they are wrong. So they order the parts and the service advisor scheduled me an appointment for today and told me that since I live 40 miles from the dealership he would have his lead diesel tech start on it first thing and have it back to me by 3pm, and that it would take 7-8 hours to complete. I get a call at 1130 from the service advisor telling me that he overbooked his appointments and he is going to need to keep it another day so he can get it done, and they'd gladly provide me with an in house rental (at my cost). I told him this is unsatisfactory and he no longer had authorization to start on it and I'd come pick it up and take it to a dealership who will deliver on what they promise. I arrive at 1145 and picked up my key and before leaving I spoke with the service manager about this experience and let him know it was unsat and how I wasted a day of vacation etc.. He then called the advisor and the tech into his office and had a quick 5 minute meeting, and when they came out it was determined that they could indeed get it completed by the 3pm time promised. Hmmmm, now they can do an 7-8 hour job in 3 hours and 15 minutes??? Seems to me that maybe they are screwing Chrysler claiming to do warranty work that isn't truely needed. Isn't that how they get paid for warranty work??

FFwd to 3pm, I'm at my "home" dealership service department and they put it up on a lift and determined that it's just the front output shaft seal, just as I suspected, and that they can have it done in a little under 2 hours (3 tops) once the parts come in. I made mention that another dealership stated it was leaking between the cases and they quickly debunked that diagnosis and asked which dealership it was. When I told them they said it comes as no surprise and they have been fixing many of their mistakes.

I can't wait for a follow up call from Chrysler on this issue, and anyone in NENC or SEVA that wants more info on the dealership to avoid feel free to PM me. I'm not going to blow them up anymore than I already did on their facebook page.

End of Rant!
Old 02-02-2011, 06:55 PM
Cummins Guru

Received 64 Likes on 44 Posts
I have replaced many front diff pinion seals but very few transfercase seals. The labor time they gave you was not what Chrysler pays them. Seal replace never pays over one hour if that. He probally had a CP gravy job that the tech could actually make money on, your warranty job took a back burner so to speak.