Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Welcome to the September virtual break room

Search this Thread

Old 09-02-2020, 09:13 AM

Received 414 Likes on 316 Posts
Welcome to the September virtual break room

The last storm left termination dust on the local hill tops.
Morris's girlfriend came calling last night. They where talking dirty to each other through my bedroom window.

Stay alert, stay safe, and watch each others backs.
Old 09-03-2020, 10:08 AM

Rain off and on. While the wife was transplanting spruce trees, I was loading the 2nd gen with scrap metal, scrap wood, and old tires in prep for a dump run tomorrow. Found a pile of pex tubing in the weeds. Now free on Craig's list. Trying to get the place cleaned up before the freeze up.
Old 09-05-2020, 09:42 AM

Well folks, it's official. First frost of the season, snow on the hill tops, winter has begun. Time to think about the winter tires.
The following users liked this post:
nonrev (09-06-2020)
Old 09-06-2020, 09:39 AM

Slightly warmer this morning. No more 60°+ days until spring. While the wife is out spending my unemployment, I will continue cleaning out the shed. This pile to the dump, this pile to Craig's list. Getting the trucks winter ready. Restocked the crates with windshield washer fluid, antifreeze, motor oil, 2 cycle oil, WD40, brake fluid, power steering fluid, a funnel and a role of paper towels. Also checked the jacks and blocks, the snow brooms, and ice scrapers. I need to find something other than a milk crate for the Aspen. Don't want to drive around smelling chemicals all the time.
Old 09-06-2020, 10:15 AM

Received 2,392 Likes on 1,576 Posts
Cougar,
We had a light frost here about a week ago. Just enough to frost over the windshields. No snow on the hills yet.

Might want to look into an old Ammo box for the Aspen. They make some big ones that would fit several QTs of fluids, maybe even a gallon of windshield fluid too.
You can find old used ones on CL and the like, at least around here.

My friend has two for his Ramcharger he plans to mount up.

I got my first load of 2 1/2 cords of firewood delivered yesterday morning. So my 8 months season of picking up firewood everyday started yesterday.
Old 09-07-2020, 11:01 AM

No rain for the next 7 days, maybe. Temps between just above freezing and just below 50°. Balmy.
Yah, there are a number of possibilities but things are getting scarce around here. We use to have a huge army/navy surplus store in Anchorage, but it went away. Trying to find any on Craig's List that aren't rusted out are a crap shoot. Sportsman's warehouse use to carry a lot of assorted sized boxes, not anymore. Like everything else these days, I'll have to order it in.
Old 09-07-2020, 06:17 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
Funny I stumbled across this conversation. I just finished stocking my boonie box with a new fan belt, bottle of PS911 and few other possibles if I get stranded this winter. Mines just a tote with a lockdown lid...

We haven't seen any frost yet but damp windshields and cooler overnight temps for a couple weeks now, Maples starting to turn up top here in the PNW...warm and wind from the NE today....
Old 09-08-2020, 01:29 PM

We had a lot of wind damage yesterday. Gusts from 80 to as high as 105 mph. After the wind settled down, everyone traded their garbage cans back.
I cleaned out a plastic foot locker. Should be able to put the 72hr kit in it as will as washer fluid and a little tool kit.
nonrev (09-09-2020)
Old 09-09-2020, 09:16 AM

Hard rain last night. That wasn't supposed to happen. Showers today. That isn't supposed to happen either. Supposed to improve over the next few days. I hope. We have a Typhon remnant entering the Bearing Sea. Bad news for us. It messes up the weather patterns for the whole winter season. Usually means less snow, more rain, and lots of ice.
Looks like the foot locker box is going to work out all right. Bigger than I'd like, but everything is in one place and hard to loose.
Trying to get Morris into the vet for an annual inspection and have his teeth checked. There is at least a 2 week waiting list and that was the best we could find.
Old 09-09-2020, 09:18 PM

Received 209 Likes on 152 Posts
Been pinned down this summer by work, closed camp grounds, and all the crap going on. Exhaust system finally fell apart on the first gen, so I put on a 4" system. Fixed the leaky IP, pulled the setting seals off it and turned it up a bit.

Today my son the tree trimmer needed a 55' lift moved from the rental to the job site about 25 miles away. First time I've actually pulled a real load since the improvements. Found it pulled that 9000 lb trailer load at 70 with ease, taking ehe hills in OD, and running about half throttle on the flats. Cool EGT's even at full throttle. Tranny warmed up significantly indicating real work was getting done. Now I'm itching to hook up the double and hit the road cross country.
nonrev (09-12-2020)
Old 09-10-2020, 09:23 AM

More rain showers today. Maybe tomorrow I'll get a break in the weather. Too many things to do and no time to do it. R&R the heater blower and resistor pack in the 2nd gen. Reinforce the foundation under my shop so the door don't jam. R&R the turbo compressor and do something about cooler tubes on the 1st gen. Fill the holes in the yard were the stumps where. Looks like I had a graboid attack out there.
Old 09-11-2020, 09:28 AM

38° and windy this AM. Supposed to be sunny the next 3 days, but on the cold side. Got the blower motor and resistor pack replaced in the second gen. A very painful experience. Put more stuff on Craig's List. I wonder when they are going to start charging me for soo many adds. How nay of those fires where man caused?
Old 09-12-2020, 08:56 AM

Should hit freezing by sunrise, low 50°s and sun through the day.
Spent yesterday gathering unfinished projects to put on Craig's list. Other items I need to put back together first. Found a box of music CD's I'd been collecting for 25 years while cleaning out an old tool box. There all copied on the computer so I guess I can get rid of them.
J, just curious as to what qualifies as a "hill" in Minnesota. Though most of ours are very long, they are not very steep. There are exceptions that have you grabbing for lower gears on the same road though. I wish my truck had 4.10s instead of 3.54s.
Old 09-13-2020, 09:16 AM

The chill down slowly continues. Got a couple outlets working in the shop again with some temporary repairs. Now I'll have light and a little heat.
Went to the hardware store looking for rattle cans, the shelves where empty. A lot of shelves where empty.
Old 09-13-2020, 11:03 PM

Received 148 Likes on 127 Posts
We've been smoked in for the last 3 days, today the worst yet...Cooler temps are welcome, but rain in the forecast...nothing to fix or maintain on the truck so a relatively quiet weekend.

Quick Reply: Welcome to the September virtual break room