Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Audio/Sirius in 2001 Ram

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-2005, 11:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audio/Sirius in 2001 Ram

I caught the diesel bug first when looking for a Mercedes 300SD. I jumped on a plane and went to Florida where a large percent of these hard to find cars reside. When I got off the plane, I stepped into a rented Dodge Magnum. Man what a nice comfortable ride. I drove this car from Tampa to Ft Lauderdale to Sarasota, a 3 1/2 hour drive each time. Everything was right about this car. The seats were comfy, the blind spots nonexistant and the car was powerful even without the Hemi. Then there was the Sirius Satellite Radio. I had 8 K.A. Rock stations within 15 minutes with channel 17 "The Buzzsaw" being the mainstay. I ALMOST bought this car and forgot about the truck, but later came to my senses.
So the question here is, has anyone tried to retrofit Satellite radio to a 2001 Ram? First the radios I have seen will not fit in the Ram hole. I am afraid any kit is going to be a cheesy POS.
Then you have to fit the antennae, most of these are on the roof of new vehicles. Then the satellite tuner is independent of the radio right?
I would love to do it, is anyone knowledgeable about this subject?
Any Indy guys here that have a favorite Audio Store?

Oh, I never found a decent MB, it only cost me about 900 to conclude that the really good ones were not for sale.

Thanks...gary
Old 06-25-2005, 11:40 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
Phal

I run the Streamer GT sirius receiver/transmitter unit in my 01. I mounted the antenna just above the back of the drivers rear door, ran the wiring through the weatherstripping, then under the dash, and mounted the head unit in the map pocket under the stock radio etc. Seems to work very well this way. Too bad my stock radio is starting to crap out. But, those are the breaks. One day, I will upgrade, when I don't feel so cheap.

The thing has worked flawlessly, from home to Edmonton Alberta, and as far north as Tuktoyaktuk NWT. there are dead spots here and there, and pretty much anywhere, but it does work great.

Was it worth the $$$... Yeah.

And no, not a cheesy setup