Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Arizona Drivers

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-2008, 05:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arizona Drivers

just read that arizona governor janet napolitano (democrat) plans on using the nation's largest network of highway photo radar, to help make up for a $1.2 billion budget shortfall. some state officials (republicans) have expressed their concern with this method of fixing the state's budget problems. just a heads up if you're planning a trip through the south west (i did recently, but no surprises in the mail yet).
Old 01-20-2008, 11:19 AM

The easy way to avoid surprises is to drive within the speed limits and be polite.

Having traveled some of those roads they need to do something. Maybe a good idea for some other states also. Too bad it only covers those that are speeding and not the aggressive ones.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:01 PM

Im guilty of laying down black smoke when I passed a traffic camera during a late yellow to red. (unintentionally, of course...

They have to have both rear license and front picture of you driving to ticket you, kinda hard to photograph through smoke.

Im surprised the cameras dont make the budget shortfall already.. everytime im driving around them they are flashing snapping pictures.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:11 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
If they're doing it like other jurisdictions, it costs the state very little to install the cameras or maintain them because the contractor who wins the award will install, and maintain them for a cut of every ticket that is processed.
This equates to an almost pure profit revenue stream for the local politicians to spend.

Of course if you don't speed,......you won't pay.
Old 01-20-2008, 07:57 PM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

Just as long as they dont do like Norway. set up a fake camera 1000 meters in front of the real one.

For the most part, I stay within 5 or so the speed limit.
Old 01-20-2008, 10:48 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Try and drive the speed limit between Tucson and Phoenix, You will get run over right now.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:04 AM

didn't think this thread would would bring out the 'just drive the speed limit' responses. whether you drive 5 mph over or 10 mph over, i have a problem with this method of budget balancing- plus i've never been a fan of photo tickets. some of the republican officials mentioned a 'big brother' feeling that this program gave them, and i agree.
Old 01-21-2008, 02:09 AM
With age comes the cage

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by annabelle
Try and drive the speed limit between Tucson and Phoenix, You will get run over right now.
You got that right..I was down there for the holidays holly cow batman I thought Denver drivers were bad.. I saw several flashes at night with the photo radar going off..
Old 01-23-2008, 12:36 AM

There was a radio dj here in Phoenix that told a story a few years ago that I will never forget. A speeder received a ticket and a picture of him driving in the mail. Of course there was also a bill in the envelope. He took a picture of the cash and mailed it back to them. Supposably he recieved a picture of some handcuffs in return.
Old 01-23-2008, 08:03 AM

Personally, those cameras are unconstitutional & the flash is a hazard.
Old 01-23-2008, 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by Timmay2
everytime im driving around them they are flashing snapping pictures.
Then slow down, LOL.

J/K. Maybe you could just put an INSANELY Bright IR Light on your plates.... hmm? On the picture it would just be washed out, but completely normal to the naked eye.

Merrick
Old 01-23-2008, 01:18 PM

Originally Posted by Rampage1967
Personally, those cameras are unconstitutional & the flash is a hazard.
I have to disagree with you. While I personal despise them they're use has been up held in every court. You can and most likely have been on camera whenever you leave your home. ATM's ,police use, on streets in stores. The right to privacy ends as soon as you walk out your door.
Old 01-23-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by Springer
The right to privacy ends as soon as you walk out your door.
Well, actually, before that even.

Merrick
Old 01-23-2008, 02:16 PM

Originally Posted by MCummings
Well, actually, before that even.

Merrick
Only if you have kids!!!
Old 01-24-2008, 02:45 AM

Originally Posted by Springer
I have to disagree with you. While I personal despise them they're use has been up held in every court. You can and most likely have been on camera whenever you leave your home. ATM's ,police use, on streets in stores. The right to privacy ends as soon as you walk out your door.
it's not just the privacy thing, but getting ticketed from a camera doesn't allow any explanation of the infraction. driving through a red light to avoid being rear ended by the drunk in back of you, only shows up on a camera as you running a red light. i have driven over the speed limit on many occasions to stay clear of an obviously impaired driver, weaving all over the road- to a camera it's just me speeding.