Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anyone wear contact lenses for astigmatism?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2007, 09:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anyone wear contact lenses for astigmatism?

Learned the other day that I have an astigmatism in one or both eyes. My old lenses were not "toric" lenses that adjust for astigmatism. The trial pair I have in now are not adjusted, either. I always felt that I should be seeing better than I do and now I know why.

The thing is, my doctor said that toric lenses are less comfortable and twice as much money. He recommended that if I can get by with the ones I have that I should do so.

So my question is: does anyone wear these toric lenses and are they considerably less comfortable than regular lenses? The price different does not scare me... its the comfort factor that scares me as I don't find regular lenses all that comfortable to begin with!

I'd love to have surgery to correct it and I was all for it until a girl from my office got it and had an astigmatism corrected. She was basically disabled for 2-3 weeks and was in terrible pain.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:25 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
I've never had any issues with my toric lenses. I've worn one in my left eye since I started wearing contacts in '95. I haven't been able to tell any difference between the two once they're both settled in.

The biggest area you'll notice a difference is when you first put them in. The toric lens will need to rotate into the correct position before you see perfectly clear out of it. It doesn't take long, mine is usually in position within a few minutes (especially if you're blinking a lot).

I wouldn't go back to a non-toric for that eye because of the difference in vision quality between contacts and my glasses, which were not adjusted for astigmatism. I don't remember the cost being that much higher either.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:39 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by doomgaze
.....I'd love to have surgery to correct it and I was all for it until a girl from my office got it and had an astigmatism corrected. She was basically disabled for 2-3 weeks and was in terrible pain.
I had lasik done about 2-1/2 years ago, it was the best money I ever spent. I had to wear glasses before my lasik, but now I am 20/20.

they corrected my astigmatism too...

I am curious as to what happened with the lady that you work with.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:41 AM
Mrs. missin on a mission & keeper of the can

I wear contacts for astigmatisms, I really like them,very comfortable! The Accuvue for astigmatisms.
Old 05-05-2007, 10:45 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
The only problem I have ever experienced with toric lenses, is that they are kept upright by gravity (botton is weighted). When you are upside down working on your truck, they may go out of focus. I wore mine about 18 hrs per day, with no discomfort.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:03 AM

Thanks for all of the insight! Sounds like I should not compromise my vision by wearing non-toric lenses! And thanks, annabelle, that makes sense! Good information to have when I am wondering why I can't see under my truck!

As far as the girl in my office, as far as I know she just had a typical procedure done for astigmatism. She made it sound like the doctors told her to expect pain because of the correction. Is this not supposed to happen? She is ok now... but she still doesn't know if it was worth it.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:09 AM
'People of Wal-Mart' 2010 finalist

I wore toric contact lenses for about 10 years before having lasic in January. I never found them any more uncomfortable than other lenses, but $4000 for NO lenses vs $500/year for lenses was WELL worth the money.
Old 05-05-2007, 11:35 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by AggieJustin
I've never had any issues with my toric lenses. I've worn one in my left eye since I started wearing contacts in '95. I haven't been able to tell any difference between the two once they're both settled in.

The biggest area you'll notice a difference is when you first put them in. The toric lens will need to rotate into the correct position before you see perfectly clear out of it. It doesn't take long, mine is usually in position within a few minutes (especially if you're blinking a lot).

I wouldn't go back to a non-toric for that eye because of the difference in vision quality between contacts and my glasses, which were not adjusted for astigmatism. I don't remember the cost being that much higher either.
right eye is a toric, left is aspheric (normal lens) right eye is actually more comfortable than the left. alot of has to do with your doc sizing and fitting you with the right lens.

i pay $18/box for normal, $28/box for my toric lenses.
Old 05-05-2007, 12:53 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
Originally Posted by getblown5.9
alot of has to do with your doc sizing and fitting you with the right lens.
Exactly, make sure you get to an eye doc that specializes in contacts and he should make sure to get a good fit. My first doc did OK, then when I moved to Plano I switched to a new doc up here and that set didn't fit as well. My current doc did all the measurements, got the matching lens size and fit them to my eye and had me wear them for a while then came back and checked to make sure they were right. This is the best fitting pair of lenses I've ever had. I actually wear mine on extended wear, so I'll leave them in overnight and never have any issues
Old 05-05-2007, 12:59 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I actually had a Bosh and Lomb lens for the right and a Ciba for the left. Both were toric. A good fit is critical .