Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

? for anyone in Oregon?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2006, 10:50 AM
Chapter President

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by yfz450guy
lived in oregon all my 42 years and this is the word right here;
you can not pump your own gas in oregon!
you can! pump your own diesel!
that is the answer to the question, none of that i used to live there 20 yrs ago or my dad has a friend who knows a guy in ohio who once knew a guy in montana who had this ol boy in oregon and he said......well you see where this is goin'
LMAOROF thats it stop it before it grows
Old 02-18-2006, 11:49 AM

I believe it's New Jersey that is the other state of only two in the U.S. that you can't pump your own gas. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 02-18-2006, 12:14 PM

Yep its pretty stupid that you cant pump your own gas in oregon but I guess diesel is classified as a combustible and not a flamable so you can pump it yourself. So what happens with new drivers in oregon that when they drive outta state they have no idea how to pump their own fuel?
Old 02-18-2006, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by tankeryanker
I believe it's New Jersey that is the other state of only two in the U.S. that you can't pump your own gas. Somebody correct me if I'm wrong.
I find it hilarious that you live in Oregon.

You are certified to have 50,000 gallons of gasoline strapped to your back,
but you can't pump 15 gallons into your car.

(assuming you have a mode of transportation that isn't powered by Diesel)

phox
Old 02-18-2006, 01:22 PM

Originally Posted by phox_mulder
I find it hilarious that you live in Oregon.

You are certified to have 50,000 gallons of gasoline strapped to your back,
but you can't pump 15 gallons into your car.

(assuming you have a mode of transportation that isn't powered by Diesel)

phox
LOL well not quite 50,000 gals phox but I do haul 11,600 gals of gas or 10,000 gals of diesel having a gross weight of 105,500 lbs. I can pump my own gas because I use a commercial fueling card lock. Thats kind of funny in itself that they think we are safe or more trained to pump at a card lock if we use 200 gals or more a month. I drive a toyota tacoma around most of the time & fill it at our bulk plant where i get a little break from the retail price.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:08 PM

I've lived in Oregon most of my life. I like when others pump my fuel for me, and sometimes even do the windshield. It's great to give a tip once in awhile especially since those minimum wages are way off the cost of living. Helps the kids just startin' out too.

When out of state, I don't like to pump my own since I'm not used to it. Some pumps are confusing too.
Old 02-18-2006, 03:28 PM

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Like others said, self-serve for gas is illegal in Oregon, but the card lock station where I have to fill my police car has a sign that says self-service cardlock station is legal for vehicles owned by charaty organization, company, or gov. providing person filling has been trained.

I believe the law was recently altered to allow self serve for motorcycles, but the attendant is supposed to hand you the nozzle, then take it and hang it up for you when you are done.

Having gone up to Wisconsin, usually for a funeral in the winter, I kind of like not having self-serve. Nothing like getting out of the car wearing a suit when it's 50 degrees below insane out, and showing up at a formal event half frozen and smelling like the gas the previous person backwashed onto the pump handle.

Plus, like someone mentioned, it gives a job to those folks who chose to drop out of High School but haven't been able to get SSI Disability.