3rd Generation Ram - Non Drivetrain - All Years Talk about the 2003 and up Dodge Ram here. PLEASE, NO ENGINE OR DRIVETRAIN DISCUSSION!.

California-Oregon regestration

Search this Thread

Old 01-11-2003, 02:47 PM
DPG

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Re:California-Oregon regestration

Phil,<br><br>I know that it is illegal to sell an HO in California, but I don't know if it is illegal to own one there. The DMV would probably be able to tell you. <br><br>Sorry I can't be more help!<br><br>DeWain
Old 01-11-2003, 04:43 PM

About a month ago (in one of the 3rd Gen forums?) there was alot of discussion of doing that. I think someone said that the vehicle could be brought in and registered if it had 7500 miles on her. You would have to figure out how to put those 7500 miles on her.<br><br>I'd check with DMV before I made any move.
Old 01-11-2003, 07:00 PM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Phil,<br><br>I am aware of several motorhome owners who took delivery of their RV in Oregon and one in Montana. The dealer arranged to have a local address for them to title it in that state. They then drove the vehicle long enough or far enough to meet California requirements and transfered the title. Several other states can be a problem also. Montana dealers will help people get away from state sales tax from their own state by playing some of those games. <br><br>Bob
Old 01-11-2003, 09:27 PM

;D No one can stop you from buying the truck.<br>You will need to have 7500 on it before you can re-reg. in CA.<br>If anyone gives you crap at the DMV just tell them your other veh. broke down while on vacation. And to kiss it where the sun doesn`t shine. ;D ;D ;D
Old 01-11-2003, 10:03 PM
DPG

Diesel Phil:<br><br>If your plans to visit your buddy don't work out, I'd be willing to make the sacrifice and put those 7500 miles on your new rig for you here in Michigan. ;D<br><br>DeWain
Old 01-11-2003, 10:14 PM

??? Hey DPG are you a state trooper ???<br>I see the state sign on your posts.<br>I lived in Detroit for some years. ;D
Old 01-12-2003, 06:48 PM

Phil,
You can't buy it new out of state and bring it into California. You can buy it used with at least 7500 miles then bring it in legally. As a matter of fact, It's illegal for a out of state dealer to sell a Californian a new vehicle unless it was manufactured for sale in California. That's why many Oregon dealers stock &quot;Manufactured for sale in California&quot; vehicles...because lots of Californians go there to buy.That's what one Oregon dealer told me anyway.
However, since there are no 2003 Dodge CTD's &quot;Manufactured for sale in California&quot; anywhere, your only option is to buy used with at least, you guessed it, 7500 miles.You can't (legally) buy a new one and put the 7500 miles on it yourself. They got us Californians by the short ones. I was trying to do the same thing you're trying to figure out how to do. I found all this out by talking to a dealer near my daughter's place in Grants Pass, and of course the good old California DMV. I think your best option is to have your cousin buy and register it in his name and then &quot;sell&quot; it to you after you get the 7500 miles. You'll still get dinged for the Ca. DMV taxes, fees, etc.

Good luck! Buzz
Old 01-12-2003, 07:36 PM

Oregon and California DMV have agreements and share computer records instantly. A Oregon dealer cannot sell to a California Resident unless they, the Dealer, makes delivery to the California Buyer in California. Same goes for California Dealers with Oregon Buyers. The laws that govern this were made to prevent people from avoiding the California Fees and also there used to be a practice where people would take salvaged vehicles to Oregon and wash the title of the salvage before it was brought back into California. I don't think that it was ever considered that there would be certain versions of vehicles not allowed to be sold new in California. I you want to avoid headaches and potential legal problems, you should probably have a family member who lives in Oregon buy the vehicle and then transfer it to you legally after 7500 miles. <br><br>Believe it or not, California DMV, has law enforcement investigators that watch this stuff pretty closely. If caught doing somehting wrong you will become an instant criminal, even though that was not your intent. I watched some pretty prominent folks in my community go down because of this with a motorhome they bought in Oregon!
Old 01-12-2003, 09:43 PM

What CTDCAL said was confirmed by CDMV to me over the phone. They said I could not regrester in CA. with 7,500 miles as used if I had been on title for the first 7,500 mile. It would be OK if you were not on title for the first 7,500.