Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Anybody ever work on a Federal "Q" Fire Siren?

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-2007, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Anybody ever work on a Federal "Q" Fire Siren?

I have one that the motor works perfect on, but it would not engage the actual siren wheel. I took the coupler apart and found the big nut was backed off. I torqued the nut down and found that every time the nut is torqued it locks up the motor. Its almost as if there is something missing from it some where? Has anyone got any expirence with one of these bad boys?
Old 03-11-2007, 08:57 PM

I don't know how to make it work but it makes a beautiful sound.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:00 PM
Banned

^^^ yup i agree. they sure are fun to lay on!! but i have no idea about how to fix one. they seem pretty straight foward though. good luck and keep us posted. who are you working on it for? i hope its not gonna go on your truck cause itll kill the electrical system...

brett
Old 03-11-2007, 09:00 PM

I had occasion once to take apart a Q2B siren and change the back end bearing. This was over 20 years ago. The siren wheel attaches to the rotor with a nylon locking nut as I remember. But there is a clutch assy inbetween the rotor and siren. You may have a bad clutch. ( one sweet sounding siren. ) You can have all the electronic sirens, Just give me a Q2B and some Grover Studdertones. and that is music to my ears.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:01 PM

Every man woman and child knows and loves the sound of one. They may not know what its called, but they know the sound for sure!!!

http://www.hudsonfd.y2webbuilder.com/f/fedq.wav

Hey, wheres that site that would convert a wav file into a ring tone for you and send it to your phone? That would be the ultimate ring tone.
Old 03-11-2007, 09:04 PM

That lock nut is the one that when I tighten it locks up the motor. I guess I will have to find a parts break down and hope something is missing.

This is one off of a truck at my fire dept. It sucks to have a fire truck with a Q on it and it not work so I thought I would fix it.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:24 PM

How about this link

http://www.fedsig.com/products/parts...own.php?id=111

to these diagrams

http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/...PPL%200320.pdf
http://www.fedsig.com/products/docs/...ries%20B&C.pdf

Or for more info

http://www.fedsig.com/products/index.php?id=111
Old 03-11-2007, 10:29 PM
Thats MR Hoss to you buddy!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
As a child I remember riding out in one of the engines of the volunteer fire department where my dad was a Captain. We were just taking water out to support the brush trucks working on a grass fire, so he let me ride with him.

I got to operate both the air horns and the "Q". My dad laughed and I'm sure the whole town thought there must be a three alarm structure fire somewhere from all the sirens. Ahhhh....what a great memory. I was living every young boy's dream at the time.
Old 03-11-2007, 10:30 PM

Here is a link to parts breakdowns:
Federal Q

I have installed a few in the past. There is nothing like the sound of a Q.
Old 03-12-2007, 10:46 AM

Thanks for the links to the break downs guys. I talked top Federal this morning which I must say was a very pleasant experience and figured out that some one has been working on this thing and has an incorrect part installed. On the parts list its number 18. The bushing on my siren has threads on the end. Tech said there should be no threads. I will install a new bushing and reassemble it and see what happens. Maybe we will be back in the siren business this week on Truck 9.

Once again, the service dept. at Federal was absolutly the BEST. They helped me out no questions asked and saw to it that I got the correct parts ordered. Thanks for your help on here as well guys.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:18 AM

Yep, nothing sounds like 'em... I love how they windmill and growl a lower pitched sound when the vehicle is transiting at a high rate of speed.. You could tell if the ambulance was really "hooking it" by how high pitched the coasting Q made from windmilling.

Hit the siren and watch the truck lights dim!!! That was a lot of inertia for the motor to accelerate from a dead stop! Sucks down some serious amps!

K.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DmaxEter
Thanks for the links to the break downs guys. I talked top Federal this morning which I must say was a very pleasant experience and figured out that some one has been working on this thing and has an incorrect part installed. On the parts list its number 18. The bushing on my siren has threads on the end. Tech said there should be no threads. I will install a new bushing and reassemble it and see what happens. Maybe we will be back in the siren business this week on Truck 9.

Once again, the service dept. at Federal was absolutly the BEST. They helped me out no questions asked and saw to it that I got the correct parts ordered. Thanks for your help on here as well guys.

You realize of course we will need either audio or would prefer video proof to validate the repair. Lights and siren please...
Old 03-12-2007, 11:32 AM

Yea, even in the cab of the truck you can hear it at about 70mph. I like our newest truck, Rescue 3 has the only thing i consider to be better sounding than a Q. Its a 2004 and was speced with a bell!! I love to ring the bell on it when on a call. THAT my friends turns heads!!
Old 03-12-2007, 11:39 AM

I will hook yall up on the lights and siren pics at least if not video when I get it going again! I will throw in some pics of the bell as well as some video. We have a couple old trucks that are worthy of posting pics of also. The best part about our old ones is that you can jump in any one of them and make a call if need be it. our trucks go from 1957 through 2004 year models. Check them out on the website her under apparatus if you want to.

http://www.wallsfiredept.org/

This
http://www.wallsfiredept.org/apparat...ue3_dside1.php

and this where I do my work from!
http://www.wallsfiredept.org/apparat...scue3_pump.php
Old 03-12-2007, 12:08 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by DmaxEter
Every man woman and child knows and loves the sound of one. They may not know what its called, but they know the sound for sure!!!

http://www.hudsonfd.y2webbuilder.com/f/fedq.wav

Hey, wheres that site that would convert a wav file into a ring tone for you and send it to your phone? That would be the ultimate ring tone.

I believe this is what you are looking for.
www.funformobile.com