Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any Mainers on here? ? on registration....

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2006, 10:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Mainers on here? ? on registration....

I was wondering what it would cost to reg. the truck in the sig up here? I know it would be like $81 for the commercial plate, but that is just the plate fee.I have been hearing mixed things about them going off how much you payed for it or how old it is and then hearing that I could be paying anywhere from $700-$1000 a year for registration. If that is the case I am gonna sell the truck and buy a older 12v cummins.
I figured i would ask here since if i can find any mainers that own a Dodge ram they could atleast give me an estimate on how much it will cost a year...

Thanks

Jeff

Last edited by Ddge6spdRam; 02-06-2006 at 10:47 PM. Reason: Spelling...I'm tired give me a break
Old 02-06-2006, 11:18 PM

$31.00 according to this chart..... Call local BMV for more specific information.....

Chart: http://www.state.me.us/sos/bmv/registration/commfee.htm

Age should have nothing to do with reg. fee. Title may have to do with what you paid for it, but that would be taxes, a one time fee. Again, get in touch with your local BMV for a definate answer because there may be things in place there that I would not be aware of.

-Trey
Old 02-06-2006, 11:45 PM

Originally Posted by durasmack
$31.00 according to this chart..... Call local BMV for more specific information.....

Chart: http://www.state.me.us/sos/bmv/registration/commfee.htm

Age should have nothing to do with reg. fee. Title may have to do with what you paid for it, but that would be taxes, a one time fee. Again, get in touch with your local BMV for a definate answer because there may be things in place there that I would not be aware of.

-Trey
They only reason i said $81 is cause that might be they plate I go with or the one right above it just to be on the safe side,up here i have heard they dont look at what the mfg say they look at what weight you registered it for.
I have heard that if you buy it from a private seller in Maine you need to pay a 5% tax on it and if you buy it from a dealer it is taking care of at the time of purchase,but all 3 of are Vechs were purchased in Pa,so i dont know what applys and what doesn't. I also heard somewhere else their is a yearly road tax that i have no clue where the money from that goes since the main 2 way highway we use to go into town is like pothole alley you can't dodge one pothole without hitting another one...
Old 02-07-2006, 09:00 AM

If you purchased in PA and didn't pay tax there, you will pay the tax when you get the title transfered to your name at your state's tax rate. They should go by the GVW that your truck is tagged for factory. Are you using this commercial? many states have a non-commercial and/or farm tag for you if you are not using commercial.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:22 AM

When the Vech. was purchased we paid the tax on it in Pa. I would like to get it registered commercial, because people have told us if we pull a trailer and don't have commercial tags they can srew with you also if it looks like you have stuf to do a construction job or something in the bed and dont have commercail plates they can screw with you.So I just want to go with the commercial plates to be on the safe side, plus it would look better on my part come winter when we start plowing it puts peoples mind at ease to see the person plowing for them is a commercial company not some low baller that does not care if his rep. gets hurt for doing a bad job.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:00 PM

Originally Posted by Ddge6spdRam
I was wondering what it would cost to reg. the truck in the sig up here? I know it would be like $81 for the commercial plate, but that is just the plate fee.I have been hearing mixed things about them going off how much you payed for it or how old it is and then hearing that I could be paying anywhere from $700-$1000 a year for registration. If that is the case I am gonna sell the truck and buy a older 12v cummins.
I figured i would ask here since if i can find any mainers that own a Dodge ram they could atleast give me an estimate on how much it will cost a year...

Thanks

Jeff
GVW of your truck is 11,000 and what is the gvw of your trailer 14,000? just add the 2 gvw together and this should be your yearly reg. cost $220? This is sorta how PA works.
Old 02-07-2006, 12:51 PM

If you paid sales tax in PA, then you don't have to in Maine. (as long as you can prove it) If you can't show you paid PA sales tax you have to pay it again up there.

What gets you is the (forget the name now) it's a tax on what your vehicle is worth each year. Maine does it as my Fianc`ee is from there, and Rhode island does it too. Each year, you pay like 7% of your vehicles worth to the state. Each year it go down, but there phasing it out here. That's what sucks. So it goes off of the vehicles value. I just can't remember the name of the tax, sorry guys. I want to say Excersize tax but that's not it. I'll have to look it up on her bill from last year. I'll let you know, PM me and I can photo copy the registration and show you.

Tom
Old 02-07-2006, 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by TAS05CTD610
If you paid sales tax in PA, then you don't have to in Maine. (as long as you can prove it) If you can't show you paid PA sales tax you have to pay it again up there.

What gets you is the (forget the name now) it's a tax on what your vehicle is worth each year. Maine does it as my Fianc`ee is from there, and Rhode island does it too. Each year, you pay like 7% of your vehicles worth to the state. Each year it go down, but there phasing it out here. That's what sucks. So it goes off of the vehicles value. I just can't remember the name of the tax, sorry guys. I want to say Excersize tax but that's not it. I'll have to look it up on her bill from last year. I'll let you know, PM me and I can photo copy the registration and show you.

Tom
Tom, I know what tx your talking about,it is called a excise tax. So say i paid 27,000 for the truck 3 years ago and i think it is worth 18,500-20,000,so if the state think the same thing then i pay 5%(i think that is what it is here) on 18,500-20,000, correct?
Old 02-07-2006, 06:34 PM

I wouldn't be suprized to see 700+ for a regular registration. I know people that have paid more than 1000 for chevys. Maine goes off what the car was new. It goes down a little each year for the first 5 years. Thats about all i know bout it......But I'm Frome Maine.

Coop
Old 02-07-2006, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by mainer
I wouldn't be suprized to see 700+ for a regular registration. I know people that have paid more than 1000 for chevys. Maine goes off what the car was new. It goes down a little each year for the first 5 years. Thats about all i know bout it......But I'm Frome Maine.

Coop
If that is the case then that truck is out of here,i will go buy a 1stgen-2ndgen 12v truck,i have found a few for around 5,000-6,000 that look pretty decent and have no more then 150,000 miles on them. I would jump on ine a buy it,but i dont got the funds to support buying it. When we bought the truck we bought it for $27,000 no way in h am i gonna spend $1350 plus the plate fee on my reg. they say the tax goes to repair the roads,but since i have been up here i think they are lying.They would rather pave the back roads that see maybe 2 cars every hour then pave the main highway that sees all kinds of traffic

Jeff
Old 02-07-2006, 09:50 PM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Ddge6spdRam
They would rather pave the back roads that see maybe 2 cars every hour then pave the main highway that sees all kinds of traffic
They last longer that way!

chaikwa.
Old 02-07-2006, 10:04 PM

And I was upset about my $165 reg. fee.......
Old 02-08-2006, 01:42 PM

I would suck if they went with what i bought it for instead of what it is worth at the moment,it would suck even more if they went with what it would of been new.The more and more i look at it i will be better off saving money this summer and buy a 12v for $5,000-$7,000, $200-$400 vs. $1000-$1350 for registration is alot cheaper. It leave more money left over for more BOMBing...

Jeff
Old 02-08-2006, 06:35 PM

I live in maine and i have an 01 like you, my last registration fee was $216 and some change. That was this past August. I would guess you would have to pay what ever the sale tax percentage difference is between Maine and PA adn the registration fee. I dont think it will be all that bad, maybe $300 tops. I do not have commercial plates
Old 02-08-2006, 09:28 PM

Originally Posted by CTD2001
I live in maine and i have an 01 like you, my last registration fee was $216 and some change. That was this past August. I would guess you would have to pay what ever the sale tax percentage difference is between Maine and PA adn the registration fee. I dont think it will be all that bad, maybe $300 tops. I do not have commercial plates
So your truck is just registered as a Pass. Vech with a plate fee of $25? If so what does the other $191 go towards?

Thanks jeff