Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any Jeep liberty owners out there?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-2005, 11:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any Jeep liberty owners out there?

Wifey wants a Liberty, can anyone give me any thoughts on one of these? Unfortunatly, the diesel option is not available in NY.

any advice would be very helpfull.

TIA
Old 11-06-2005, 12:45 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My wife is very happy with her 05 liberty. The only thing that she does not like is the fuel mileage. It averages in the 15-16mpg range commuting to work. I like it because if she drives somewhere, I (6'1"/290) fit in it much better than a compact car.
Old 11-06-2005, 01:37 PM
DTR's Self Appointed Beer Advisor

I won't say too much about the Jeep Liberty as it was probably the worst car that we have ever owned. Fuel mileage was terrible 15-17 MPG. My 8000 LB truck does better than that. And the Liberty depreciation is almost unmatched.

You can read all about it in this thread. Click Here

This usually makes a few people upset so I will leave it alone. A lot of people have good luck with the Liberty but I personally couldn't recommend it.

Britt

Old 11-06-2005, 03:30 PM

my wife and have one that has treated us very well . I have actully takin this little libby on some pretty hairy trails here and in Az.. I pulled a little trailer with a bunch of boxes for my sisterinlaw from chicago to Phoenix. Drove great.
Now the bad.. Gas milage sucks, and the depretiation is really bad.
If you plan on keeping it a while than go for it but dont think you will trade it in a year later and get any thing from it...
All in all it has been a good little rig...Jay....
Old 11-06-2005, 04:43 PM

can't you get the diesel out of state and bring it into NY ?
Old 11-06-2005, 05:24 PM
Banned

Well, if the depreciation sucks, that means that you can get a really great deal on a used one.
Old 11-06-2005, 05:39 PM

Wife has a new Jeep Liberty CRD and LOVES it! Really is a fun little thing to tool around in. Don't know about depreciation and don't care...we're not trading it in any time soon. She's getting 20-22 city and it has been going up slow and steady.

I did test drive a gas version before buying the diesel. Night and day difference. Stick with the diesel if at all possible. You should be able to buy a used one fairly easily in any of the 50 states.

Old 11-06-2005, 11:14 PM

Originally Posted by bamalam
Wife has a new Jeep Liberty CRD and LOVES it! Really is a fun little thing to tool around in. Don't know about depreciation and don't care...we're not trading it in any time soon. She's getting 20-22 city and it has been going up slow and steady.

I did test drive a gas version before buying the diesel. Night and day difference. Stick with the diesel if at all possible. You should be able to buy a used one fairly easily in any of the 50 states.

Thats decent city mileage, does it run pretty good? Do you have the automatic?
Old 11-07-2005, 10:24 AM

My wife has an '04 Liberty which she purchased because it had "heated seats". After 30,000 miles and 2 years it has not had one single problem. Although not a rock crawler, it is a very capable off road vehicle, heads above anything else in it's class. Off the road, and in the city, it is very nimble, with a tight turning radius and snappy power. I only wish it was as good on the highway. It lacks power and has too sensative steering for the open road. We have got used to the steering. When we're in the mountains, we always run with the OD off. It does better power and fuel milage wise, that way.

Her milage has always been running around 18 in the city and as high as 23 on the road (hand calculated at every fillup). My brother's old '03, and step daughter's '04 Grand Cherokee's, with the 4.7 v8 do better on milage, and are big time better on power. A 4.7 v8 in the Liberty would make for one awesome rig. But, when we have done trips together with friends in an Envoy and a Highlander, our milage and power have been comparable to them, if not better, doing the same kind of driving, on the same roads, at the same time.

My biggest complaint with the 3.7 Liberty is the lack highway power and the lack of any after market solutions for it. I think with more power to be had, fuel milage would also go up. I like the cockpit, lights, and brakes. The lights and brakes are first class.

Resale value on the Liberty's has been poor because Jeep keeps lowering prices on the new ones. If you buy one, either get a good deal or plan on keeping it for a while.
Old 11-07-2005, 12:07 PM

I have seen Liberties with aftermarket exhaust systems. This would probably help with the highway power. I saw one the other day that had dual exhaust tips that appeared to be a borla system.