Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any ides on the name of this electrical plug?

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-2011, 11:31 PM
Administrator

Received 232 Likes on 161 Posts
Originally Posted by gorms
If you are indeed wiring it for 240, black and white designation doesn't really matter. Just land the ground in the right spot. Even so it doesn't hurt to cross the wires (physically, not electrically!), much more difficult with 3 phase cord caps. And, SO cord (600V vs 300V for SJO) is much tougher insulation if you need a heavy duty cord.

PS did anyone else notice that nice custom plate in the mulberry cover?

I get a few submersable pumps running backwards because someone got 2 phases crossed.
Pumps have "kickback" on the top so you can check rotation by watching it.

Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 08:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow thanks for all the responses I was out of pocket after posting this.

The label on the motor states it's a 230V 15amp
It powers a medium duty bandsaw
I had a electrician run the wires and install the plug but he told me I could not use a extension cord with it. Any reasoning behind that? So now I'm limited to 5' feet from the plug.
I didn't see anything like this at home depot or lowes and as always at my local lowes and home depot they know nothing.
Old 01-13-2011, 08:10 AM

I had a electrician run the wires and install the recieptle not the plug Plug came on the band saw
Old 01-13-2011, 12:34 PM
I wish I was as fine, as those who work the pipeline!

Originally Posted by DADDY'S DIESEL

I had a electrician run the wires and install the plug but he told me I could not use a extension cord with it. Any reasoning behind that? So now I'm limited to 5' feet from the plug.
I didn't see anything like this at home depot or lowes and as always at my local lowes and home depot they know nothing.

Voltage Drop. On most of my power tools I buy a 10-3 cable with ground and install my own plug with them. Even with 10-3 I try to keep them to 10' or less. But with 15amp you could go to 20', just makes a trip hazard though. You can get the cable, and retro-plug at HD or lowes. Just make sure you get a good plug, or (even better) wire the tool directly with a wall switch (red/green) if you are not going to move the equipment. Wall switch is main power, switch on the machinery is operator power. Machinery is dead at all times until you switch on main power to use it. Much better deal, especially if there are others in your shop.
Old 01-13-2011, 01:35 PM

Received 22 Likes on 21 Posts
Jim, I've never seen a single phase motor run backwards running from a single phase power source. 3 phase motors are always a 50/50 chance when installing.
Old 01-13-2011, 03:28 PM
Muted one day, Banned the next....... Ah the life of a DTR 1%'er

Originally Posted by DADDY'S DIESEL

We've been running "Home Made" extension cords of the same make for our Delta Bandsaw for about 5 years now. Not one problem yet
Old 01-13-2011, 04:15 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by gorms
Jim, I've never seen a single phase motor run backwards running from a single phase power source. 3 phase motors are always a 50/50 chance when installing.

They are 3-phase I guess I didn't make myself clear when I mentioned the 2 phases were crossed,
Sorry

I get a few submersible pumps running back wards because someone got 2 phases crossed.
Pumps have "kickback" on the top so you can check rotation by watching it.

The Kickback with a directional arrow on the top of the pump is so you can jog the pump and watch which the pump housing will kickback for the proper rotation, then it is a matter of switching 2 phases.

Jim
Old 01-13-2011, 04:38 PM
Administrator

15-amps @230 volts, is it a 2hp motor?

As long as the cord is the same gauge as the house wiring or better it shouldn't matter how long it is, the motor would not know any difference if it had a 5 foot cord or a 30 foot cord, the weakest link is going to be the plug and recieptle.

I know they have the cords at Home Depot only they are 9' long, if this will work, they are with the extension cords and are listed for Air Conditioners.

You will have to replace the plug on the cord to a 20-amp to fit the extension cord though.

Actually looking at the recieptle end of the cord, it will plug in with no modifications.

Model YC-2A1/YC-2F4

http://www.homedepot.com/Electrical-...atalogId=10053

Jim