Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Any appliance repair techs here?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2012, 06:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Any appliance repair techs here?

Since I got so much help with my water fountain thread I figured I'd ask about my ice maker problem I am having.
First off, I don't have the model number with me this morning but it's a GE side by side fridge. The ice maker makes ice just fine but it goes into a defrost mode several times a day which causes the ice in the dispenser tray to start melting. Once it's done with it's defrost and everything refreezes then the dispenser will not work because everything at the bottom of the tray is frozen to the coil thing that spins. Eventually this caused the dispenser motor to burn out and we just ended up removing it altogether and putting a square bucket in it's place and we have to open the door and physically get the ice out. It's been this way for a couple years now and I'm ready to fix it. So, what I am trying to find out, without spending a couple hundred bucks on a service call, is if my ice maker is defective or is there a way to shut that defrost mode off or does it have adjustments on it where I can change the current setting? I guess I'm also gonna have to replace the motor that spins the dispenser too.

Can a fairly "Handy" guy (Me) change these things out easily or would I be better off just calling somebody in to do this?

Thanks
Old 01-26-2012, 08:20 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
I believe most of the icemakers are plug and slide in units. You may want to ck to see what the entire unit cost. Calling a tech is going to most likely run $100+. I replaced the magnetic door seal ($125)+3hr install on my last refridge and it never sealed right and was the biggest PITA. I ended up just buying a new refridge w/extended warr. Just a thought that spending the $$$ on a new one may save you some frustration and agravation. I don't have a concern about tearing anything apart, diagnose and R&R but when it breaks again and/or the parts are 50% of the new cost, I think it's worth it to just buy new. Good luck....hope this helps.
Old 01-26-2012, 09:09 AM

Well, I got the fridge for half price even though it was brand new so I'm not into it for that much. If I can get a new ice-maker unit for around $150-$200 and I can easily install it then it's worth that much to me when a comparable new fridge like mine will be over $1000. The fridge is still like new and works great except for the ice-maker quirk..
Old 01-26-2012, 10:28 AM
Administrator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I don't understand all this. It spins, defrosts and dispenses?

I guess mine is simpler. It just has a tray you reach into the freezer to get ice from. You pick each cube out and when the tray is void of ice, you fill it back up with water, stuff it back into the freezer and let it freeze.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:49 AM

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by chaikwa
I don't understand all this. It spins, defrosts and dispenses?

I guess mine is simpler. It just has a tray you reach into the freezer to get ice from. You pick each cube out and when the tray is void of ice, you fill it back up with water, stuff it back into the freezer and let it freeze.
His spins as it's sending the ice through the door (that's closed) into your cup below that's placed inside the inset in the door. There's a switch on the door that when pushed, activates a spiral coil in the assembly inside, that moves the ice outwards, through the door, so you don't have to open it.

Your defrost issue is a real PITA. I just went through it with my bottom freezer unit. I don't have a through the door dispenser, but my unit would freeze up and cause ice buildup in the bottom of the freezer.. I guess if there were mice around, they could take up skating.

I wound up having to replace a bunch of panels in there, as they were "rusting" due to condensation and contacting of dissimilar metals (electrolysis). I guess the engineer genus's felt it was necessary to spec parts that would rot inside my freezer, and clog the drain out the bottom

Call these guys.

www.appliancepartspros.com

They have a technical dept that is more than willing to help you diagnose this issue. They're parts are reasonably priced, and I've fixed several customers fridges by using them. 1-877-477-7278

Good company to deal with.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:56 AM

Location: This Nazi state of California 2nd home Gilbert AZ under God
chaikwa, is that located in your mooned outhouse for conveinece? Never know when you may need a ice cube for those.......
Old 01-26-2012, 10:58 AM

I use the following site for appliuance related issues and have never been dissapointed. Make sure to provide the model and serial numbers along with your question.

http://fixitnow.com/
Old 01-26-2012, 11:21 AM

Thanks guys. I will check those sites out.
Old 01-26-2012, 03:27 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by NJTman
His spins as it's sending the ice through the door (that's closed) into your cup below that's placed inside the inset in the door. There's a switch on the door that when pushed, activates a spiral coil in the assembly inside, that moves the ice outwards, through the door, so you don't have to open it.
Sounds overly complicated taking into account it seems easier just to open the door and grab a coupla cubes!

No Brian, it is NOT in my outhouse!
Old 01-26-2012, 06:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
If you haven't already fixed it, check out this site. http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker-modual.html

Chaikwa, some of us have upgraded to fancy automatic ice makers and in the door dispensers. A few summers ago one of my nephews said, "I think your icemaker must be broken". To which my wife replied, "No it isn't. Fill up those blue trays on the counter with water and put 'em in the freezer".
Old 01-26-2012, 08:25 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by s-cube
If you haven't already fixed it, check out this site. http://www.applianceaid.com/icemaker-modual.html

Chaikwa, some of us have upgraded to fancy automatic ice makers and in the door dispensers. A few summers ago one of my nephews said, "I think your icemaker must be broken". To which my wife replied, "No it isn't. Fill up those blue trays on the counter with water and put 'em in the freezer".
Smart woman, your wife!
Old 01-26-2012, 08:44 PM

check your defrost timer
Old 01-27-2012, 04:18 AM

I'd love to if I only knew where to look for it.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:00 AM

Received 1,638 Likes on 1,113 Posts
Originally Posted by Dodgezilla
I'd love to if I only knew where to look for it.
The forums, or the website I posted will tell you where it is...

You need this information:

Brand:

Model #

Serial #
Go to this page:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/

Look in the fridge. You will find a plate with that information in it. Once you have those numbers, go to this webiste and type in your model number. It will provide you diagrams to review of the parts of the fridge with little numbers that correspond to the descriptions that are provided for the parts....

IE: #36 will be the outer door seal

You can see my fridge in this link:

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/partsearch/model.aspx?model_id=231662#d23554125

I can order just about anything that is still available. If you're lucky, the defrost timer will be listed with an attached pic. In the diagram you will see it's location and you can then find it in your freezer. Order the new one, replace it (if that's what the tech group tells you to do) and you're on your way.

It will be located behind a removable panel. Sometimes they get iced up and you will need to unplug your fridge and let it thaw out.

Good luck..

Calll the tech service if you can't find it.

Etc.
Old 01-27-2012, 06:24 AM

Great Man! I'll check it out this weekend.

Quick Reply: Any appliance repair techs here?