Other Everything else not covered in the main topics goes here. Please avoid brand and flame wars. Don't try and up your post count. It won't work in here.

Ah People,About Sunday

Search this Thread

Old 11-08-2007, 06:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ah People,About Sunday

What is a Veteran?

Some veterans bear visible signs of their service: a missing limb, a jagged scar, a certain look in the eye.

Others may carry the evidence inside them: a pin holding a bone together, a piece of shrapnel in the leg - or perhaps another sort of inner steel: the soul's ally forged in the refinery of adversity.

Except in parades, however, the men and women who have kept America safe wear no badge or emblem.

You can't tell a veteran just by looking.

What is a veteran?

He is the cop on the beat who spent six months in Saudi Arabia sweating two gallons a day making sure the armored personnel carriers didn't run out of fuel.

He is the barroom loudmouth, dumber than five wooden planks, whose overgrown frat-boy behavior is out weighed a hundred times in the cosmic scales by four hours of exquisite bravery near the 38th parallel.

She - or he - is the nurse who fought against futility and went to sleep sobbing every night for two solid years in Da Nang.

He is the POW who went away one person and came back another - or didn't come back AT ALL.

He is the Marine Corps drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.

He is the parade-riding Legionnaire who pins on his ribbons and medals with a prosthetic hand.

He is the career quartermaster who watches the ribbons and medals pass him by.

He is your next-door neighbor, who endured fierce door-to-door fighting in Fallujah only to see his best friend blown up by a terrorist carbomb while returning from patrol.

He is the three anonymous heroes in The Tomb Of the Unknowns, whose presence at the Arlington National Cemetery must forever preserve the memory of all the anonymous heroes whose valor dies unrecognized with them on the battlefield or in the ocean's sunless deep.

He is the old guy bagging groceries at the supermarket - palsied now and aggravatingly slow - who helped liberate a **** death camp and who wishes all day long that his wife were still alive to hold him when the nightmares come.

He is an ordinary and yet an extraordinary human being - a person who offered some of his life's most vital years in the service of his country, and who sacrificed his ambitions so others would not have to sacrifice theirs.

He is a soldier and savior and sword against the darkness, and he is nothing more that the finest, greatest testimony on behalf of the finest, greatest nation ever known.

So remember, each time you see someone who has served our country, just lean over and say Thank You. That's all most people need, and in most cases it will mean more than any medals they could have been awarded or were awarded. Two little words that mean a lot, "THANK YOU".

Remember Veterans Day and Memorial Day,

"It is the soldier, not the reporter, Who has given us freedom of the press.

It is the soldier, not the poet, Who has given us freedom of speech.

It is the soldier, not the campus organizer, Who has given us the freedom to demonstrate.

It is the soldier, Who salutes the flag, Who serves beneath the flag, And whose coffin is draped by the flag, Who allows the protester to burn the flag."

Whether you hate me or like me, honor the vets. You enjoy your freedoms because of them.

That's all I have to say about this Sunday
Old 11-08-2007, 06:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Amen.

MikeyB
Old 11-08-2007, 07:02 PM
Administrator/Jarhead

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts
Originally Posted by irocpractice
He is the Marine Corps drill instructor who has never seen combat - but has saved countless lives by turning slouchy, no-account rednecks and gang members into Marines, and teaching them to watch each other's backs.
That's me.

Semper Fi, and thank you to all who went before me.
Old 11-08-2007, 09:42 PM

Freedom is not free.

May GOD be with all those who have given up their freedoms so we can have ours.

THANKS!!!
GOD BLESS
Old 11-08-2007, 10:18 PM

Great thoughts .... thanks for posting them.

God bless those who have gone before, those who gave their lifes, those who never returned and those who are on that wall right now defending our freedoms.

Cheers,
PISTOL
Old 11-09-2007, 06:42 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Thanks Vets.
Attached Thumbnails Ah People,About Sunday-veteransday04-x.gif  
Old 11-09-2007, 07:31 AM
Proprietor of Fiver's Inn and Hospitality Center

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts
Well stated.

Bob
Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 AM

Good post. Excellent read. My Dad did 2 tours in Viet Nam in the Army and I served in the Army about 20 years ago myself as well. And I salute all those who serve today.
Old 11-09-2007, 11:15 AM

Wow, that was great.

Thanks to all who have served and/or are serving now!