General Diesel Discussion Talk about general diesel engines (theory, etc.) If it's about diesel, and it doesn't fit anywhere else, then put it right in here.

people people... someone should slap mom

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2005, 09:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
people people... someone should slap mom

Wow, work today was bad. not that the work was hard. But people and their darn stories. One guy ( buys and sells cars on the side, hes a parts guy) was like next year they are taking cummins ( ford) and dodge will take the detroit or powerstroke

Im like one why would dodge take the powerstroke, what detroit would they put in it... and if they and cummins went their ways they would use a mercedes beings they are family

So i made him his little wager that the cummins will be around for quite some time. Later. Ather guy was like ford owns 46% of cummins
So we went back to the computer ( we work at an internatinal dealer haha) and went to the cummins site. They then were like ford owns cummins. Im like ok lets take this in a business point of view. Ford owns cummins. You see fords getting change dover to cummin all the time. So why would ford buy an engine from another company and then put theirs in another truck. There like they make money from dodge then. So of course they give that money back to international. then they started scratchin their heads like hum. well..... Ford owns cummin and left. Im like tsk tsk. frankly i bought the dodge truck and am lucky to have the cummins. I dont want to see it go and doubt we will for a long time.
But when that time does come they better replace it with a mercedes and a mercedes tranny. That would be one sweet truck
Old 01-21-2005, 10:00 PM

Im someone will correct me if im wrong but i think ferd did own a lil bit of cummins some time ago, but now i think cummins is and indpendent dealer and makes awesome engines and dodge is fourtunate to get the rights to put them in their trucks.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:09 PM
cp

With Daimler partnered with or owning Chrysler, should the Cummins become unavailable, you can bet a Mercedes engine will replace it. It may in the long run anyway, depending upon if the krauts decide there's more money to be made with an in-house engine.
Old 01-21-2005, 10:32 PM

https://www.dieseltruckresource.com/...n&onlynewfaq=1

There ya go... Throw that at them, lol.

In my honest opinion though, the only way I could see Dodge stop putting Cummins engines in their trucks is if Cummins itself goes out of business or somehow... retires, lol. Why tamper with a good thing?... I wouldn't
Old 01-22-2005, 01:38 AM

dodge could use a detroit they bought detroit out 3 or 4 years ago
Old 01-22-2005, 06:40 AM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Week-before-last while at my local Dodge dealer waiting for the tech to find the DRB to clear some tranny codes, I struck up a conversation with one of the Dodge salesmen.
After chatting about trucks and diesels for a few minutes, he informed me that ........here it comes,.......wait for it,............."Ford bought Cummins". ...... "so the 2006 model year would be the last for Cummins-Dodge and that around 2006 Ford would replace the PowerStroke with the Cummins, so both the Dodge & the Ford would share the same engine until Dodge went totally with the Merc. diesel."
He also informed me that Cummins was making the engine in the new diesel-Liberty Jeep*.
10 minutes of trying to reason with him proved to be a total waste of both time & breath.
Luckily, the tech arrived with the DRB, and I escaped.

*from a Washington Post article
The engine is made by Italy's VM Motori, a company partly owned by Detroit Diesel, which is a wholly owned subsidiary of Germany's DaimlerChrysler AG.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...2004Dec30.html
Old 01-22-2005, 07:03 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Didn't you guys get the memo? All big three makers are now one for the 2007 year. No more personal choices to worry about. Can't read the print too well, but it looks something like Perkins for the power.

Wonder what it would be like to deal with a salesman that actually knew what was going on. Don't think I've had that experience yet.

Ed
Old 01-22-2005, 07:16 AM

If dodge lost cummins what abuot replacing it with a CAT
Old 01-22-2005, 08:48 AM

Ok,
Where's Hoss on this one
Old 01-22-2005, 10:15 AM

Haha exactly why mess with a good thing. And it wasnt but a couple weeks ago he had ( the parts guy that said the cummins was going to ford) a 4 wheeler or something, had a bit on the cummin, how to make it stronger, had a section on the powerwagon, Then had a look at the Cummins v8 and v6 for the dakota and ram 1500, "but dont expect to see them until 2009"

Oh well To each their own. LIke i said im a dodge man that gets the heart of the cummins.

All though i wouldnt mind a 1500 with a v8 for a puts around town truck. The dmax i test drove was ugly quick. only imagine what it would do with our a 1500

oh by the way. the numbers on the 1500 where 305 hp and 545 tq, Hope they change that by 09 wit hthe way things are gong. heres the saleman now! " Here you can buy this Cummstroke v8 in the 1500 ram, It puts out 305 hp and 545 lb tq, Its a joint venture between international and cummins for the dodge!!!" " Or you can buy this 2500 with the Ford chevy VW Pepsi Sony OWNED Cummins diesel, it puts out 1300 lbs of torque and over 700 hp right from the factory!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:51 AM

Originally posted by fearthedeere
Im someone will correct me if im wrong but i think ferd did own a lil bit of cummins some time ago, but now i think cummins is and indpendent dealer and makes awesome engines and dodge is fourtunate to get the rights to put them in their trucks.
Several years back Ford was trying to acquire cummins through stock options. At one point they had enough shares to almost acquire controlling interest in cummins. Fortunately or unfortunately depending how you look at it they were never able to get the controlling amount of shares, so they dumped the majority of their share holdings.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:42 AM

I don't know all the conversion factors, but it looks like Mercedes does make a 5.9l inline 6 Turbodiesel. I wouldn't be surprised at all if a Mercedes Diesel eventually replaced the Cummins, and it wouldn't stop me from buying another Dodge. Here's some basic specs:

Diesel Engine
MB Model: OM 366(Euro 1)
Number of cylinders: 6
Bore x Stroke: 97,5 x 133 mm
Displacement: 5958 cc
Max. output (80/1269 EEC)
Max. torque (80/1269 ECC)
Cooling System: Water Cooling
Old 01-22-2005, 12:13 PM

I could probably live with one of these too:

Mercedes announces new R-Class with 4.0 liter V8 diesel hybrid propulsion: 313 hp
to be shown at the Detroit auto show in January 2004. It uses the 4.0 liter diesel V8 together with a 50 KW electric motor, producing 313 hp and a whopping 621 ft-lbs of torque! 30 MPG. "We wanted to demonstrate that we can develop a convincing diesel hybrid as well as a gasoline hybrid drive,"
Old 01-22-2005, 01:32 PM
Administrator / Scooter Bum

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Now try getting 30 MPG while pushing a 7,000+ pound, aerodynamic as a brick, pickup truck down the highway pullin' a 20,000 lb 5'er.
Old 01-22-2005, 02:36 PM
Top's Younger Twin

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts
A few years back the Canadian Western Regional outlet for Detroit was getting involved with Daimler Chrysler to do the winter testing of a new Detroit engine that will go in the Rams.
At that time they said theres at least 3-4 yrs of R&D and driving before it can be even considered for the RAM. That time is getting close.
I believe this was part of the partnership/ownership agreement that Detroit needed to build an engine for these trucks.

Quick Reply: people people... someone should slap mom